At what point would you disarm?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > At what point would you disarm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default At what point would you disarm?

I watched a video the other day and a LEO.(dont know if he was ATF,FBI, or WTF) came to a gun range to speak to a guy. As I remember it, the guy was running for some office, like the Senate.(I never heard of him, and dont know why he was contacted by the LEO.) The LEO. ordered everyone to disarm and turn off the video recorder.
My question to you is: at what point will you willfully disarm if asked or ordered to do so? I am not inclined to disarm at the request or order to do so. (especially on private property). I can think of ONE off the top of my head. There could be others. I would turn my weapon over to authorities if I had fired the weapon (in a case of self defence) and the law needed it to pursue an investigation.
What about a traffic stop? I was pulled over once, and informed the trooper of my sidearm, but he wasnt bothered by it.
Just wondering who has thought this through.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you could; could you post the video or the link to the video? I would like to see this video.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 06-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
I watched a video the other day and a LEO.(dont know if he was ATF,FBI, or WTF) came to a gun range to speak to a guy. As I remember it, the guy was running for some office, like the Senate.(I never heard of him, and dont know why he was contacted by the LEO.) The LEO. ordered everyone to disarm and turn off the video recorder.
My question to you is: at what point will you willfully disarm if asked or ordered to do so? I am not inclined to disarm at the request or order to do so. (especially on private property). I can think of ONE off the top of my head. There could be others. I would turn my weapon over to authorities if I had fired the weapon (in a case of self defence) and the law needed it to pursue an investigation.
What about a traffic stop? I was pulled over once, and informed the trooper of my sidearm, but he wasnt bothered by it.
Just wondering who has thought this through.
If I am holding a firearm, and a LEO orders me to put it down, I will. I am addicted to life. If the gubmit makes a law that says to turn them in, then I will have to enlighten them about how they were all lost at sea during the FTF boating accident. Sad day that was...

You do realize that private property is only private when law enforcement is not around, right? Now, if an officer shows up at my door and asks to look around for guns, then they have to abide by my 4th Amendment rights.

Good question, but a bit misleading or this could be a fishing expedition? Your motivation for this is what?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

here ya go!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #5

Likes Given: 2

I think there is more to that video than we are seeing right now. But to answer the question, the moment a uniformed officer, or someone who identified themselves as such and produced something stating that they were LEO, (a badge, a vest, a lanyard around their chest etc.) I would lower my weapon. At a gun range where someone "just wanted to talk to me", I would holster my weapon and leave the camera running.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

There's a difference between disarm and "stop shooting". If someone asked me to please stop shooting so he could talk to someone, that's fine. Hopefully, he'd have the smarts to pull that person aside and walk away from the range so everyone could resume.

But if someone asked me to hand over a weapon and there was no good reason, then I'd...resist. Let's put it that way.

Also, in the case of the Feds being jerks, I'd walk a few yards away and call the sheriff and ask him or her to come down seeing as he or she is the law enforcement officer with the most authority in a county and the sheriff can tell the feds to scram.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #7

I don't know what the laws are, but if an LEO asked for me to put down a weapon, I would comply and worry about the legality and the rights later. Right or wrong, there are to many bad things that could happen to me or others around me.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #8

Liked 4983 Times on 2413 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

BKT + 1

If your asked to cease fire or disarm by an LEO who is acting in the course of their duties, then do so.

If you feel there out of line, call your County Sheriff and get a lawyer.

TACK

Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I’ve just spent the last 10 minutes listening over and over to the video and trying to hear what the agents say when the video first starts but it is not easy because the music is loud and overlaid the agents first statements. But from what I can hear the agents before they get out of the car ask if everyone is unloaded and Mr. Black states everyone is unloaded and it’s alright. At no time does the agent ask anyone to unload or put down their gun he just ask if everyone is unloaded. This is normal for an officer when they approach a number of people when weapons are out and visible. The agent ask the subject if he would step to the back of the truck to talk and he declined and said he was fine right where he was and the agent did not push the issue and let the guy stay where he wanted. His wife was a little smart mouthed and pointed at the truck and said that is the back, when it was clear the agent was just trying to be professional and meant the back of the truck away from the public. I don’t know why the agents wanted to talk to Mr. Black and the video does not clarify that, however, from watching the video the agents were professional, polite, and non-aggressive and seemed to be just doing a field interview. Other than them physically being there and wanting to ask some questions would someone please tell me where the “harassment” is?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Two things come to mind.
1st, 2 Okaloosa county deputies shot at a gun range (one was a close friend) while trying to serve a warrant.
2nd, Does having a "cold" range means disarming? The girl seemed to be walking out on the range during the interview.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)