What is the point of owning an AR-15? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What is the point of owning an AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3229 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 2308

a few reasons why some might own an AR-15;

1) they are a highly accurate platform capable of quick repeat shots. this lends itself to many uses like hunting very small varmits at long distance & competition shooting.

2) they could be used to help defend our country if our military is overrun, or unable to come to a quick aid.

3) excellent choice for self defense in a bad situation. it is not completely unrealistic to think you could be in a situation where you have to use a weapon of this nature to defend yourself and family. sometimes help my not get there fast enough, if at all.

4) if a local officer in my community has access to such a weapon, why am i not allowed to? i deserve the same right to defend myself as they do.

5) what is point of owning or using any of the following? alcohol, cars that go 180mph, gas guzzling trucks, high calorie foods, cigarettes & cigars, mood altering drugs,....etc etc....almost all of these legal items kill on a regular basis.

6) oh, yeah....and btw the 2nd amendment.
molonlabexx Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #42

Liked 1114 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
WE SHOULD SAY: "Your claim that 'they're only for killing people' is imprecise. A gas chamber or electric chair is designed for killing people, and these devices obviously serve different functions than guns. To be precise, a high capacity military-type rifle or handgun is designed for CONFLICT. When I need to protect myself and my freedom, I want the most reliable, most durable, highest capacity weapon possible. The only thing hunting and target shooting have to do with freedom is that they're good practice."
Check out John Ross "give it to them straight" This guy could talk the pope into carrying.
I could not agree more! These reasons mirror my own, but I have to add one more thing.... It is fun as hell to shoot! It has never done anything evil or malicious on its own. It is a very well behaved firearm that I keep secured so that it stays out of the hands of some lunatic.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #43

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
And that's my point. Asking for more and more in depth checks to obtain a weapon no mater how many rounds fly per trigger pull is just not a valid argument against a full auto vs semi.

The idea of allowing the very people we just might have to protect ourselves against the ability to curtail our rights is simply flawed logic. And the only reason the strive to have that power is for control over the people they wish to rule.
Bingo...

The Goobermint used to hand me full auto M249's, full auto M60's, and select fire M16's on a daily basis... along with as much ammo I felt like carrying but NO LESS than 210 rounds.

Does my current status as an honorably discharged veteran make me any less trustworth? Is the average law abiding citizen any less trustworthy?

The only person who could answer YES to these questions is a TYRANT... and that individual is wise to fear me wielding a dull spoon, let alone my AR15.

Are you listening Uncle Joe?

MOLON LABE!

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 02-20-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #44

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Bingo...

The Goobermint used to hand me full auto M249's, full auto M60's, and select fire M16's on a daily basis... along with as much ammo I felt like carrying but NO LESS than 210 rounds.

Does my current status as an honorably discharged veteran make me any less trustworth? Is the average law abiding citizen any less trustworthy?

The only person who could answer YES to these questions is a TYRANT... and that individual is wise to fear me wielding a dull spoon, let alone my AR15.

Are you listening Uncle Joe?

MOLON LABE!

Tack
I second that. Thank you for your service. As a veteran, I would be pissed that they are trying to take away what you risked everything for. I have a lot of respect for veterans. Whether I agree with a certain war or not.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #45

Liked 211 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I see nothing wrong with full autos.
Me neither, Uncle Sugar taught me how, and let me do it some, and I liked it. I see no problem with owning them, except that would drive the anti-gun people nuts, given the way they are just bugged about the AR now, and that the occasional crazy would do more mayhem. The AR and M-16 are no longer in my reach, but neither are my feet. I am too old, and fat, and old, to police my brass any more. But, you know, come to think on it, grand kids, could do that.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #46

Liked 1114 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD
That's it I going to buy more gun's
Ha ha ha! Me too! Bought my first AR off the shelf. Doing my first build right now so I'll have a second one. I grew up building with Legos. Building my own guns is the logical next step.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Plinking is very fun. Especially with a ruger 10/22. The thing I don't understand is what is wrong with people. All of our fore fathers that wrote the constitution have said that if the government takes the guns, it will get ugly fast. Do the sheeple not realize this? Why do they continue to ignore the facts. Hitler took the guns, Stalin took the guns and Mao took the guns. CNN just dumbs down all the idiots who watch it and turns them into government loving, brainless watermelons.
My friend, you are preaching to the choir here

Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #48

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner

Ha ha ha! Me too! Bought my first AR off the shelf. Doing my first build right now so I'll have a second one. I grew up building with Legos. Building my own guns is the logical next step.
Lol me and you both I loved Legos...too bad parts are marked up 100%
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #49

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Because you can load your bushmaster AR15 with those exploding cop killer bullets, and it will start shooting people, cause it's a black machinegun.
JUST KIDDIN

Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
WE SHOULD SAY: "Your claim that 'they're only for killing people' is imprecise. A gas chamber or electric chair is designed for killing people, and these devices obviously serve different functions than guns. To be precise, a high capacity military-type rifle or handgun is designed for CONFLICT. When I need to protect myself and my freedom, I want the most reliable, most durable, highest capacity weapon possible. The only thing hunting and target shooting have to do with freedom is that they're good practice."
Check out John Ross "give it to them straight" This guy could talk the pope into carrying.
Yes, but only the government owns them, because they are in charge of us and me must bend to the will of "The Great White Father" (or what ever is in charge)

"Great White Father"... doesn't really work in this case, does it?