What is a Military Sporting Rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What is a Military Sporting Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default What is a Military Sporting Rifle?

In the ongoing battle for gun rights, I know we are fighting a battle of language. As such it is not surprising to see gun rights advocates trying to rebrand. Unfortunately, like so many hobbyists, they tend to use language that sounds differently to their ears than to the layman. This is something I am all too familiar with. I work in a field where I routinely deal with people who are so engrossed in their jargon that they forget what an ordinary person might hear versus what they might hear. I see it going on right now with the battle for gun rights.

Let's call a spade-a-spade. An AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle. In some cases, or maybe in many common configurations, I'd be willing to refer to it as a semi-automatic carbine. The AR-15 does have military roots as do other so-called "Military Sporting Rifles", but there is nothing special or distinctive about an AR-15 that deserves this title.

Also, to a non-gun person, "Military Sporting Rifle" does not sound that much safer than "Assault Weapon". When politicians talk about "Weapons of War", the word military has a close association. "Sporting" is also vague and makes it seem like ownership of such an item is superfluous. As someone who believes a person should have what they need to adequately defend themselves, I do not like to make any firearm sound like it is superfluous, trivial, unnecessary, or pointless.

I think part of this attempt to rebrand is to make sure AR-15's still sound cool. Calling it an semi-automatic rifle puts it in the same category as a whole bunch of boring hunting rifles. Might as well be a Fudd if I have to call my AR-15 a "semi-auto". Is that it? Somehow gun owners want their cake and eat it to. They want to preserve the tacticool image while also maintaining these are not "weapons of war".

Pick one.

In the public eye we are losing the battle over the language. We have been for a long time. We do ourselves no favors by getting into semantic arguments over magazines vs. clips, like the language matters. Will you be happier if you're limited to a 10 round magazine instead of a 10 round clip? Does it matter what we call it after our rights are infringed?

Likewise, I think the term "Assault Weapon" is probably here to stay, or at least we have a long uphill battle since it has been applied to military-style weapons for a long time now.

If we're going to make an argument that AR-15's or civilian versions of popular military rifles are not actual military weapons, we're going to have to demystify them. I'm not going to deny that an Arsenal AK is built on a military platform, but I would be quick to point out that what I can legally purchase in regards to one is not an actual military weapon. I'm also happy to point out how many weapons we use today have military roots, or that other weapons not being considered for banning were once in common use by the military. We have benefited from military technology, not just in terms from firearms, for a very long time now.

The thing is, I get that because a rifle may have descended from a military design and is primarily used for sporting purposes it is tempting to give it a special distinction. Ask your low information American the difference between an "Assault Weapon" and a "Military Sporting Rifle" and I doubt they'll be able to tell you one. In fact, I think we're in danger of making those terms synonymous.

I know it pains you to call your Daniel's Defense Carbine or Bushmaster that you paid big bucks to mount a military grade optic on and hung a whole bunch of other gizmos and doo-dads off of like Christmas Tree ornaments a "semi-automatic rifle". At the same time, we are being tried in the court of public opinion and perception is reality.

I know I may as well be pissing into the wind here, I just think this tactic is not only ineffective, but potentially harmful. I'm all for changing the language and fighting the image battle. I'd prefer to do it in a way that paints gun owners in a positive light.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6559 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 6202

I like para-military weapon. It's a fairly concise term.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

After the Big One, as my dad called WWII, a lot of M1 Garands became very effective hunting weapons for the men who used them in battle. I suppose the lack of pistol grip, collapsible stock and magazine made them SAFE for these "commoners" who had just rescued the world.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #4

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by wechols View Post
After the Big One, as my dad called WWII, a lot of M1 Garands became very effective hunting weapons for the men who used them in battle. I suppose the lack of pistol grip, collapsible stock and magazine made them SAFE for these "commoners" who had just rescued the world.
Funny, I was thinking of Garands and Springfields as I wrote the above. In a sense, wouldn't these also be "Military Sporting Rifles"?

Granted, the anti-gunners would love to get rid of Garands to, but they are not scary looking enough to be tried in the court of public opinion so they get a pass...for now.

NY has made it clear that they will not be satisfied with 10 round limits or only banning just the scary looking rifles. We facilitate those efforts by helping them make these distinctions.

Come to think of it, the Garand can't be loaded with a full 8 rounds now in NY. Fun times.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 03-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3105 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Remember that DHS has "Personal Defense Weapons" that look and function like the military "Assault Rifle", but the normal citizen who owns the same platform rifle (in semi-auto only) has an "Assault Rifle" that has been rarely used in an assault situation.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Actually, the term MSR means MODERN Sporting Rifle, not Military......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6888 Times on 3461 Posts
Likes Given: 7474

"This is my weapon, this is my gun, one is for killing, the other for fun"! I dont remember any other terms being necessary to describe the difference between stiff tools that shoot! Nearly all the other terms Ive heard used are less than useful. We get so wrapped up in the semantics they are twisting around our necks that we lose every time.

When it boils down to it, even a MG is likely a Semi, which can also fire a single round if you dont pull the trigger twice! WTF does any of this matter? Weve been led down this road of defending our guns and now they are even challenging our rights to defend ourselves! After all, crooks dont come in pairs or more with more than one gun, and we can just have our wives fire the DB shotgun out the back door.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 681

There is no such thing as a military sporting rifle and it is not a good idea to coin that phrase. It is a modern sporting rifle and I suggest you look at the thread called The Difference. Calling it anything else will play into the hands of the banners.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/difference-86031/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

GeneralPatton Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

^^^^ X 2 Well said

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3086 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 380

I submit that we henceforth refer to our ARs as "My little friend."
http://youtu.be/AVQ8byG2mY8
We could all call them our soft fuzzy kitty rifles, it doesn't really matter. Getting into a urination competition over terminology is a losing battle. It's not about having the warmest message, it's about having the largest megaphone. Frankly it'll probably come down to who scares the politicians the most: The left and their rogues gallery of useful idiots or the millions of gun owners saying "enough!"

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-08-2013 at 02:42 PM.