What is going on? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What is going on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 211 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
Do schools, these days, have metal detectors at the main doors, and are all other ways into the schools secured, (I don't mean locked, that would not be good in a fire), during the time the school is occupied?

How could you protect kids that are bunching up in front of school waiting to get in, or waiting to get on the bus. How would armed teachers be able to contend with a shooter who would choose to attack lined up students "Iraqi-style" as accessible "soft targets" outside the school?

I am in favor of "a good guy with a gun" in the school, and I don't know what else to do, but what would the logistics have to be; How many armed "good guys" would there be? How would you connect them with communications so they could rapidly respond to a situation?

Will they be under procedural control, or free lancers? Will they be require to pass scheduled weapons qualification.? Weapons retention?(there are troubled youth that could become threats) Are the weapons secured in the school when it is closed, or do they go home with the "Good guys" and for accountability to concerned parents, will the administrator know exactly how many guns are in his school when students are present.

I say again, I am not against this idea, but it will need to be thought out some more than just teachers "going packed" Building design, pedestrian traffic flow patterns in and out, bullet proof windows. Not all schools could implement plans like this.

There should be a way to recognize an armed threat,(metal detector?) and the through structural design,(an atrium that could be locked-down) to contain the threat individual away from the students until law enforcement comes, or the cretin shoots himself
Maybe it would be better if all student rooms had "safe" rooms in them. Drills could be held frequently during which time, teachers move students to locked rooms, like we have seen done in recent tragedies Maybe this could reduce the amounts of guns in the school, and give another option to the teacher who does not wish to be armed

Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
CrazedJava I will have to stand with Penn Gillette on this one. You have to show some evidence that the mentally ill should be stigmatized. All of them should not be all classed, as wanting to commit atrocities so as to become famous like "the other guy".

You are right on about the MEDIA!
Sorry, not trying to stigmatize the mentally ill. I actually had to deal with a lot of them in a previous job and am aware they are not all dangerous.

However, I do find it interesting that after Aurora the media has focused HARD on the AR-15 platform and suddenly it is showing up all the time in spree killings.

Newest Threads