Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What is ‘eminent’ danger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
sounds like you have a lot of confusion regarding self defense. i think you shoould consider taking a good firearm self defense course
Agreed. Additionally, I would suggest that if you are this unsure what you will do in the situation posted, you may as well leave that pistola in the safe. When you strap on your favorite brand of iron, you'd better be absolutely prepared to accept the consequences, and as positive as you can be what action you are willing to take, regardless of the outcome.

It is not my intent to be a jerk with the above comment, but sifting powdered sugar on it ain't gonna make it less bitter.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

depends on the state, city, and what a jury of your peers or a judge believes. talk to a lawyer in your area.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 07-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #13
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1609 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
sounds like you have a lot of confusion regarding self defense. i think you shoould consider taking a good firearm self defense course
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
. . Additionally, I would suggest that if you are this unsure what you will do in the situation posted, you may as well leave that pistola in the safe. When you strap on your favorite brand of iron, you'd better be absolutely prepared to accept the consequences, and as positive as you can be what action you are willing to take, regardless of the outcome. . .
Well yeah, that’s my intention. I don’t have a pistol yet. I don’t even have my permit yet. My fingerprinting appointment is in a couple of weeks. But I’m doing my homework now for precisely the reasons you stated. I’d really like to learn, besides how to shoot the target and not myself, the judgment criteria for situations like I mentioned before I even carry a gun. I DON”T want to be unsure of what I’m doing when I’m armed. Which is why I'm asking these kinds of questions, among others.

I’m looking to take the SIG Sauer course(s) in NH. It’s in driving distance, but I’m open to other suggestions.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-01-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

I believe C3 hit the nail on the head. There is no question in the scenario you are describing. If the perp is in possession of a firearm it is seemingly an armed robbery you are describing. Or in the event he has a gun in his hand and threatens to and including shooting you. Or also aims a weapon at you. YOU ARE IN EMMINANT DANGER! And in most states I am aware of you have every right to use force to and including deadly force in these situations. Even in a couples of our super liberal states I guess I would add I would rather be tried by 12 than buried by 6. A lot of these people shoot the victim after they are cooperative. And a lot of them are high on drugs or whatever. Only my opinion. But one here also hit on it. If he has the drop on you it is not time to play Marshal Dillon and have a quick draw contest unless he is distracted and you are proficient with your weapon. A lot of people do not have the mind to react rather than hesitate. Something to think about when making a conscious decision to carry.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Blackwater taught us the deadly force triangle. Opportunity, intent, & capability. The scumbag with the gun pointed at you is showing all three. Would you rather be judged by 12 or carried by 6?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

From what I have read so far I think you really should get formal training in SD. Obviously some of the posters here know the law, but I'd like to point out to some folks new to firearms like yourself that you need to be careful what you say in a public forum like this when it comes to describing what you would do. It can be used against you in court years later after you said it here.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #17
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1609 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I believe C3 hit the nail on the head.
Yes, I’ve noticed C3 does provide clear and astute advice. At least to me. And I owe him a beer or two. You too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
A lot of people do not have the mind to react rather than hesitate. Something to think about when making a conscious decision to carry.
I’m expecting thinking about it now will foster ability to react later.

What is called luck is really what happens when preparation meets need.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #18

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
From what I have read so far I think you really should get formal training in SD. Obviously some of the posters here know the law, but I'd like to point out to some folks new to firearms like yourself that you need to be careful what you say in a public forum like this when it comes to describing what you would do. It can be used against you in court years later after you said it here.
100% of the reason why we do not give legal advice here. Anyone with a legal question should consult with an attorney...as we say, "the advice you get here is worth what you paid for it."

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5258 Times on 2742 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
100% of the reason why we do not give legal advice here. Anyone with a legal question should consult with an attorney...as we say, "the advice you get here is worth what you paid for it."
often worth less

OP: your on the right track with taking a ccw course which is NOT the same thing as a self defense course

i personally have LE training SD training and ccw training. multiple and regular refreshers is what you need. self defense isnt something that just happens cuz you got a gun. but i think you understand that

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #20

Liked 2440 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

If you should be unlucky enough to shoot someone;

1) Immediately contact an attorney as soon as safely possible.

2) Say nothing to anyone. Under no circumstances should you "give your side"

or "he said, I said" until you talk to legal counsel.

3) Think about trying to treat the shot individual for shock and have someone

call 911.

4) If pressured by police, let them know you have chest pains, have to use

the bathroom, are thirsty, and your attorney is on the way.

BTW, until you are cleared to go, expect your gun to be confiscated...