Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What does a citizen drawing their gun represent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am a ccw instructor in NC. I must stress, the law varies greatly in all states as to "brandishing" , "Public Display" , and Assault by pointing a firearm. In North Carolina, it is a crime to Point a pistol at another person, loaded or unloaded, for any reason, even in Fun. It is a misdemeanor. It is not against the law to put your hand on your weapon, Police in every state do it most times when they approach a car at a traffic stop that doesn't seem Quite right. Not a felony stop, but, one hand on a flashlight, one hand on the butt of their sidearm, , not uncommon at all. It isn't a crime for a private citizen to do that in NC. In Some states, that would be "brandishing". We have no such law here. There is no law against open carry, per se. The law prevents "going armed to the terror of the public", but the crime isn't going armed, and scaring someone. The crime is the "wicked intent in the heart " of the person carrying openly. There is no law against carrying a firearm for sport, leisure, or protection. The problem is when you are in public, Intentionally terorizing people.
I would suggest that anyone who's state requires a safety and legal preliscensing class( almost all of them) do some research on the person teaching the class.In NC, you have to be an NRA certified pistol instructor, with a Basic pistol rating, or Personal protection rating. THe legeslature should have studied a little further, you have to have basic pistol before you get the other. There are two Personal protection ratings. Law enforcement experience is a definate red flag. Rules for Law enforcement are entirely different in most states, and there is almost always an " I AM THE LAW, FEAR ME!!!!" attitude. Most of the instructors I have heard about are worthless. It is good thing CCW holders don't get into more shootings, or their would be a lot of suits for incompetent instruction..
Look for more ratings. Can your instructor teach all NRA pistol Classes? If he/she deviates from the state curriculum? where will you be if you are halled into court for a shooting? Most likely by yourself. If the instructor goes by the book, uses the book, and tests by the book, no problem, unless you really did something wrong. If they made up their own curriculum, which is a tendency of sworn and formerly sworn officers, you are in a world of poop. By yourself. With no paddle. It is a lot more fun to handle guns and shoot thatn it is to talk about law and safety for eight hours. Suck it up, you are in the big boy world now. If your instructor has anything to add tho the statecurriculum(which I sdo) he had better have case law to back it up(which I do). THe judge, jury, and da don't give a hat full of rat poop about what you did twenty years ago to a felony suspect, when the judge was your brother in law. Again, retired police are poison. Thery don't know anything. If you are the exception to that, the n you prove the rule. Almost without exceptin, retired police can't shoot, either. They certainly never learned to TEACH.
Lastly, PLEASE, take NRA Personal protection INside the HOME, and Both PARTS of NRA PERSONAL PROTECTION OUTSIDE THE HOME. That will give you around twenty hours of range time under the supervision of someone taught HOW TO TEACH firearm safety and efective shooting. Police marksmanship instructors excluded, very few ex officers are tought HOW TO TEACH. YOu mostly get war stories for your money at best, and war stories and political rants at the worst. I can't tell you how manty people have come to me after letting a permit lapse, or to re certify( sheriff's have that option in NC) and told me how much they appreciated me GOING BY THE BOOK. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law, and many of them would have broken it, listening to incompetent instruction.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #42

Drawing a gun as a deterrent is a bad idea except in rare situations. It will usually get you beat up or killed. If you're not in physical danger don't draw and certainly don't shoot. If you're in physical danger, don't deter, shoot!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #43

Drawing a gun is the last resort when your life is in imminent danger. However, when drawn, what if the bad guy drops his knife and runs away? You cannot take potshots at the former aggressor. The fight seems over at this point but what if he calls the cops and tells them he was minding his own business when you appeared with a gun drawn? YOU are then in trouble. So if he drops the knife and runs YOU must quickly call the cops and get the truth put out first. I would not draw unless it was the only way to save my life or the life of my family.

Last edited by AmericanBob; 11-11-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBob View Post
Drawing a gun is the last resort when your life is in imminent danger. However, when drawn, what if the bad guy drops his knife and runs away? You cannot take potshots at the former aggressor. The fight seems over at this point but what if he calls the cops and tells them he was minding his own business when you appeared with a gun drawn? YOU are then in trouble. So if he drops the knife and runs YOU must quickly call the cops and get the truth put out first. I would not draw unless it was the only way to save my life or the life of my family.
In ANY situation you must be the FIRST to call the police.

I know a guy who is a former marine and he accidentally cut a lady off in traffic and she followed him to a gas station and pointed a pistol at him.

He drew and she left cursing at him. He said on his scale of Oh shi* it was about a 3 and he didn't think much of it and continued on with his day.

3 months later he gets pulled over on a traffic stop and there was a warrant out for his arrest.

The lady said he pointed a gun at her but left out every other fact in the case. it was his word vs hers and facing the 10/20/life law we have here he was facing 10 years minimum. He took a plea deal although not a convicted felon he will not pass a NCIS check and no CCW.

Hes a stand up guy who made a mistake by not calling at first or at all.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #45

What a terrible story!!! (but a great story to keep in mind) I cant imagine being in that situation. Note taken: First thing to do when threat is gone... call police... check! Should be added to the "practice" technique.. draw gun... re-holster gun, Draw cell phone, re-holster phone. Call it the always draw twice rule. Bet it would be easy to forget to do immediately, after such a rush of adrenalin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
In ANY situation you must be the FIRST to call the police.

I know a guy who is a former marine and he accidentally cut a lady off in traffic and she followed him to a gas station and pointed a pistol at him.

He drew and she left cursing at him. He said on his scale of Oh shi* it was about a 3 and he didn't think much of it and continued on with his day.

3 months later he gets pulled over on a traffic stop and there was a warrant out for his arrest.

The lady said he pointed a gun at her but left out every other fact in the case. it was his word vs hers and facing the 10/20/life law we have here he was facing 10 years minimum. He took a plea deal although not a convicted felon he will not pass a NCIS check and no CCW.

Hes a stand up guy who made a mistake by not calling at first or at all.