Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What does a citizen drawing their gun represent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomFighter69 View Post
Actually a citizen drawing a gun represents that he is good with a pencil !
Forget Guns, I am going to start collecting pencils! I always knew i had a talent!!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomFighter69 View Post
It's really quite simple. If you pull your gun, you better use it ! If your life is being threatened you better draw, shoot, and remove the threat. There are cases where you can draw and fire a warning shot to send a message that if you don't get away from me, the next one will be in your head or chest! Even this may be rare because usually when your life is truly threatened by an aggressive adversary there is no time to bargain whatsoever. So you better take the perpetrator out before they take you out !
If you consider that to be "simple", you should rethink your position. There is nothing at all "simple" about shooting a real person. The problem with this position is that if you wait until shooting is NEEDED, then you will have very little time to draw. You will likely lose this encounter. There are certainly times when drawing your weapon will (and should) end with no shots fired.

If you wait to draw against an "aggressive adversary" you will likely end up dead. Draw does not mean shoot.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Indiana Code is silent on the method of carry, so open carry is legal. Twice in the last 40 years, I've de-fused a situation, simply by transitioning from concealed carry to open carry by removing my cover garment. I became aware of the potential threat early enough, in both situations, to provide me time to visually expose the gun, STILL HOLSTERED, say nothing, and the individual changed direction, and walked away. Both times, I called 911 myself, to insure that the incident was reported by me first. Neither occurrence generated any problems or issues for me.

Situational awareness cannot be over-emphasized.... just my opinion.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #24

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
If drawn right no one should "accidently shoot" someone at gun point.
You draw with your trigger finger OUT of the trigger guard, and parallel to the slide until you are going to shoot. Once you put your finger in the trigger guard, and on the trigger, you better be ready to shoot.
In the hand of the right person a SA, DA, and DAO are all the same, safety or no safety. Thats my opinion.
Indexing should be taught in every gun safety class. I believe it is but many haven't taken these classes. Police officers should know better but many, in the heat of the moment, forget that training.

Correct (although my finger is a bit high)

Incorrect (unless the perp is a clear and present danger, i.e. armed and facing you or coming at you with a weapon)

Old 10-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #25

The notion that if you draw you better fire is silly.

If I drew on someone with a knife and that person retreats or stops with his hand up or something to that effect you are saying that I should murder this person?

I am all for advice on forums but please think before you post.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Exactly my point

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-31-2010, 06:51 AM   #27

Well i think at this point, i sit about where i started as to how i was prepared to handle it, but i have had a change in an "interpretation" for a lack of better words...

That is that anytime i pull my weapon, i will:
- do so knowing i am fully prepared and maybe even expecting to have to use it (and the situation DOES warrant MY interpretation of needing to defend myself to that extent),

- hope i don't have to put my finger on the trigger (not in a sense of being afraid to, or reconsidering, just that i would not fire if i saw the situation diminished to a state to change my previous interpretation before i was ready for a shot),

- pray each night i will never have to put my finger on that trigger with someone in my line.

But what i have taken is that it seems that most would agree that pulling your weapon would not constitute a commitment to fire (at least i get the sense that everyone that commented would not go ahead and kill someone if while they were pulling it, they noticed the guy had dropped to the ground crying with his hands in sight and not a threat). It is finger on the trigger (by rule of safety) that is an absolute commitment to fire.

I know it may not be exactly what everyone else feels, but overall anyone see any major flaws with my plan of action?

Last edited by theferg2000; 10-31-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:18 AM   #28

Default think of it this way

Quote:
But what i have taken is that it seems that most would agree that pulling your weapon would not constitute a commitment to fire
If you're lucky enough to get away with it If you find an instructor that teaches " how to foil a threat by showing your gun", you are in the twilight zone friend.

Think of it this way;

If you touch your gun, someone has to die.
the word concealment doesn't mean you are a"secret justiciero", it means none knows you carry a weapon. And that for the most part is for your protection, people are getting shot in public ranges by felons unable to purchase a weapon, in open carry territories, people are being assaulted and their guns taken for the same reason.

And this is not a funny thing, take weapons seriously because they carry death, that is their purpose, euphemisms like "stop a threat", "eliminate a threat" are in place because the truth is too much for some people.

You'll read some threads that star something like this: " I showed the guy my gun", "I pointed my laser at this guy and saved his life", (really) at least here in Oklahoma touching your gun is grounds to get yourself killed. plus you never know if "that guy" is carrying?, is he a better shooter?, is he highly trained?]
(In this here land, doing as much as lifting your hand with a stick will get you shot by the police, and if you don't believe it read the news!)

Before you carry make sure you understand the legal implications of carrying a weapon, any lawyer worth his salt will tell you also that if you want to interfere with someone else being threatened, you are acquiring automatically that persons rights and you are responsible before a court of law.

Also the fact remains, taking a life will change your life, not necessarily for the best, is really hard to come back from that.

Having said this, is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. Try to make a sound judgment, hope for the best but expect the worst.

Just don't let anyone underscore the importance that knowledge plays here.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Last edited by gatopardo; 10-31-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 386 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Default draw vs fire

From my understanding of it (ask a lawyer to be sure) drawing a weapon is not a requirement to fire said weapon. When it comes down to it you are in the same position as a cop when you are armed. Lawyers and judges will have months and years to comb over and second guess decisions you had fractions of a second to make. We just have to try our best to walk that thin line that keeps us from being judged by 12 men and also keeps us from being carried by 6 men.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #30

Default Undecided and In worse shape now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
Think of it this way;

If you touch your gun, someone has to die.
That is a more clear way of saying what would have to go through my mind in order for me to pull it. "I have to kill this person of threat".

But if i did notice a sign of retreat, i think i would not put my finger on the trigger. But then i feel different if my kids or wife was at stake... If they were life threatening a second ago, is my "hope" of retreat worth not firing.

So let me back track again.... I can certainly see where once you pull it, you better use it. Is someone that has already convinced you they would take your or your loved ones life, worth "trust"/second chance...

Dont know if this question can REALLY be answered one way or another definitively... BUT I WANT MY OWN ANSWER, DEFINITIVELY no matter who thinks it is right or wrong, i want to be DECIDED so i can practice and continue carrying KNOWING A SOLID PLAN. Crap, this is about the most uneasy i have felt about what i would do. And i WANT NO PART of needing to wrap that thought up with a treat of life in progress....

I know this one has been going on for a while, but even if you have answered this question a hundred times, and not commented here, please do it one more time. Sometimes there is nothing worse than seeing both sides of an issue. At least in disagreement, there is decision!