Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What does a citizen drawing their gun represent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecPro View Post
Sorry brother but I don't know much about KY or the laws there. I'd say try this link and see if you can find another instructor in your area and take it from there.
NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training
I have had my CCDW for about 3 years now, but are you saying you think it wold be a good idea to take it again? I know there are things that were supposed to be covered according to the booklet, but a couple of times he said "We are supposed to do this, but we're not going to because i think ....". Just wanted to make sure i understood you right.

I will check with my lawyer on the validity of a license (if once you have it, you have it; or if the course can be proven to not be given correctly, it would be invalid). It seems these days that people are sometimes held accountable for the mistakes of others. While i feel my neighbor gave me everything the course would have and more safety related, i sure would not want to be in a case where i used self defense and the prosecutor find a loop hole based on an incorrect issuance.

My son and i are taking Muay Thai, as we are trying to determine some good courses for exercise, and confidence for my 7 year old. So i will check out the links, they are much appreciated!

Last edited by theferg2000; 10-20-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
I have had my CCDW for about 3 years now, but are you saying you think it wold be a good idea to take it again? I know there are things that were supposed to be covered according to the booklet, but a couple of times he said "We are supposed to do this, but we're not going to because i think ....". Just wanted to make sure i understood you right.

I will check with my lawyer on the validity of a license (if once you have it, you have it; or if the course can be proven to not be given correctly, it would be invalid). It seems these days that people are sometimes held accountable for the mistakes of others. While i feel my neighbor gave me everything the course would have and more safety related, i sure would not want to be in a case where i used self defense and the prosecutor find a loop hole based on an incorrect issuance.
No sir!!! I'm not saying taking again. I mean unless you have too. FL is now 7rs for a ccw and then you renew it, but you don't have to take the class again. I'm just saying for you to talk with another instructor in your area and pick his brain is all. Folks pick at mine all the time and I don't mind helping out.
Just saying it can't hurt. whatever you think you weren't told or have questions on ask away.

I would suggest a bit of professionalism on not giving out the instructors name to a fellow instructor unless you want to make a formal complaint with the NRA. Don't need any rumors/bad mouthing etc unless he was truely found to be neglegent with the higher powers at NRAQH.

Side note: Muay Thai is freaking awesome, but I'd advise on some grappling techniques as well. Being well rounded is key if you're looking at it from a fighter perspective but for confidence building you're good to go with what you're doing. Just my .02 sir.

Stay safe and watch your assests!!
[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Last edited by SecPro; 10-20-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First- your instructor sounds like a jerk- but that is my personal opinion.
Oh you would have LOVED him i am sure C3 (joke)! Who wouldn't with those S&W 500's holstered on both sides of his hips. Then as he pulled them out to show the class basically pointing them at EVERY PERSON in the class... he really put a warm spot in my heart... i was just glad it wasn't a hot bullet through my head!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecPro View Post
No sir!!! I'm not saying taking again. I mean unless you have too. FL is now 7rs for a ccw and then you renew it, but you don't have to take the class again.
Got it! Ours is 7 here too i believe (need to double check that it is not 5). My dad lives in Florida, so we go down there a lot, i did not know that there was such an issue of your concealed weapon showing (pretty good laws here in KY). So i am certainly going to look into that more, make sure i carry it concealed according to their rules. I have seen from a couple of sources they (and the states i drive through to get there) honor the KY conceal permit, but did not give much thought to a jacket blowing open, or something like that. Thank God, i have always kept is concealed well. Dont want to drive you nuts on the Fl laws, but i may pm you on a couple questions if you dont mind.

Side note RE: We will be starting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a couple of weeks/months just depending on time. My son is the biggest kid in his school class by 6-8 inches, and the heart to match it (for kindness) and is easily intimidated (unlike me, growing up i was always the youngest, and smallest, and never backed down from a fight - didn't pick them, but did not back down) I have heard Muy Thai is very good for confidence, its good to hear that echoed!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

From an LE standpoint, I can see where one might get into a situation where the use of deadly force is legally justified causing one to draw the weapon, but the personal threshold to actually pull the trigger is not reached. I have drawn my weapon and pointed it at people many times, but have not had that personal threshold crossed where I felt the need to shoot. In Texas, the threat of deadly force is not deadly force necessarily. If the threat of deadly force prevents the actual use of deadly force, then fine a life is saved.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #16

Question away sir. If I can help I will or at lease direct you in the area to find certain info.
Mine is actually set at 5yrs until I renew. I got mine before the new law passed which allowed it go go for 7yrs.

As for accidental exposure of your firearm it's a touchy subject and may be left to the discretion of an officer, but it IS A VIOLATION of your CCW here. You cannot print(printing is illegal), but a reasonable bulge is accepted because others don't know what that bulge maybe.

robocop10mm
I have also been in similar situations on the job and it is a pain in the rear to say the least. Things are a little bit different in uniform than in regular clothes.

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Last edited by SecPro; 10-20-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #17

Exclamation

It's really quite simple. If you pull your gun, you better use it ! If your life is being threatened you better draw, shoot, and remove the threat. There are cases where you can draw and fire a warning shot to send a message that if you don't get away from me, the next one will be in your head or chest! Even this may be rare because usually when your life is truly threatened by an aggressive adversary there is no time to bargain whatsoever. So you better take the perpetrator out before they take you out !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Last edited by FreedomFighter69; 10-23-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #18

Liked 4429 Times on 2148 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

The argument that was listed for the DAO was that it limits your liability when shooting, and cited examples about police officers accidentally discharging their weapon when holding someone at gun point.

1. Your not LEO so it's unlikely you'll be drawing your gun unless your at or very close to making the decision to FIRE.

2. Your not LEO so if your committed, you can easily overtake the training level of any COP. Don't get me wrong, I respect WHAT they do, but recognize that most of them are novice gun handlers. So do the politicians they work for which is why there issued DAO pistols. Too many of these folks were not trained to keep there finger OFF the trigger unless the decision to fire had been made. "If you have the training and discipline to exercise this principle, presenting your gun early is NOT a problem, and could very well defuse the whole situation with no need to shoot, and THAT is the BEST possible outcome.

I would MUCH rather need to explain why I presented a gun than explain why I HAD to take a life...or lose my life for that matter.

If your going to carry, do not over think the legalities, this will get you killed.

GET MORE TRAINING, the hands on variety where instructors play aggressor and TRAIN you to react under stress are the BEST way to prepare for the worst situation of your life.

TACK

Old 10-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don't believe everything you read or hear from:
Rambo wannabe CCW instructors
Gun Store wannabe Rambo's
Internet forum Rambo wannabes.

Research and understand your local and state Laws regarding Use of Force. The laws vary greatly from state to state and even local jurisdictions. You or the bad guy displaying/brandishing a weapon (stick, knife, firearm) can be considered a use of force and/or a threat of bodily harm. Consult your Lawyer if needed.

Learn about and teach yourself Situational Awareness. If you see, recognize, and avoid, situations that present a threat to your personal safety, you might also avoid the need to draw your firearm.

Buy and read several of the well known Self Defense books and authors. In the end, you will have to decide for yourself what is right and legal, unless your Lawyer is stapled to your shirt.

In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob
Armed Response by David Kenick
Louis Awerbuck
Gabriel Suarez

Last edited by 1911Jeeper; 10-23-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #20

Thumbs up

Actually a citizen drawing a gun represents that he is good with a pencil !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .