Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > what do you think about the NRA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default what do you think about the NRA?

I use to be a memember back in the early 80's but it seemed like every week or so I was asked for money! and what do you get on your return? there groups out there that do more good then NRA.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #2

Liked 1756 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

I stopped caring about the NRA when they endorsed Harry Reid.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I was a member for many years in my early 20's. Fell lock and step into every cause they brought me. Wrote checks, wrote letters, defended them when asked, paraded around with their badge on every vehicle I had.

Then I got a little older, a little wiser and started to see that while still an 800 pound gorilla in the room. The gorilla is neither the sharpest, the cleverest, nor the most loyal when other groups have a higher pass thru rate on donations, more presence on grass roots movements and suffer from much less "character" in their overhead.

I currently have no use for the NRA in my house, and will not, until they clean their own aging, lying, corrupt house.

JD

Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

I admit I also sometimes get tired of opening material as you have. But which would you rather have. Someone who asking for some money for support, that is doing everything possible to protect your rights to keep and bear your arms and second amendment rights. After all, no one says you are under obligation to send money. Bottom line if it were not for the NRA you would not have your weapons today. Or would be dead trying to keep and defend them.
Sorry for the stern comment but stop and think about it. I sure do not have the money to take on the Brady group and ant-gun lobby myself and I am sure many of us fall in this category.
The NRA is kind of like a Basket Ball Team at your local high school. You may not like all the players on the team, but you support the team anyway and hope the win! I do not always agree with everything the NRA does. But I do realize if it were not for them we would be like Canada, Australia, England and the rest. And we would rather be hiding, defending or having our prized possessions sawed in half and destroyed. That is why I live in America, support the NRA and will stand no matter what the cost to protect mine and your second amendment rights. There may be other groups out there some of which I also support. But they do not have the power as the NRA

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-07-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6109 Times on 3701 Posts
Likes Given: 6913

Interesting thread. When I bought my gun, the guy who directed me towards the GP100 also told me not to join the NRA. I never asked why.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I admit I also sometimes get tired of opening material as you have. But which would you rather have. Someone who asking for some money for support, that is doing everything possible to protect your rights to keep and bear your arms and second amendment rights. After all, no one says you are under obligation to send money. Bottom line if it were not for the NRA you would not have your weapons today. Or would be dead trying to keep and defend them.
Sorry for the stern comment but stop and think about it. I sure do not have the money to take on the Brady group and ant-gun lobby myself and I am sure many of us fall in this category.
The NRA is kind of like a Basket Ball Team at your local high school. You may not like all the players on the team, but you support the team anyway and hope the win! I do not always agree with everything the NRA does. But I do realize if it were not for them we would be like Canada, Australia, England and the rest. And we would rather be hiding, defending or having our prized possessions sawed in half and destroyed. That is why I live in America, support the NRA and will stand no matter what the cost to protect mine and your second amendment rights. There may be other groups out there some of which I also support. But they do not have the power as the NRA

IMO, that was the past regime that led the way. The current group has all the appearances of politicians. Power seeking, money grabbing, spewing hot air just enough to keep people paying dues and garnering a few new people along the way, while not performing.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i've been a NRA member for so long that i can't remember the year i enrolled. if you have another group support them. if not then you're free to leach off the hard work of your betters.

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

when I ordered from midway USA they gave the change to them on my invoice it said the NRA got over 6.5 mil from them.I'm not saying their BAD they do good at times but other times they make no sense.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

NRA membership is a requirement to be a member of my range, so I am a member. I feel they do some good, however I think the GOA does more and better. So I belong to both and the Gun Owners of California as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I am an NRA Life Member. One of the discount crew that Neal Knox railed against so hard. Am I happy with everything they do? No. Wayne LaPierre seems like the ultimate politician/used car salesman to me. You vote for whoever for directors but Wayne LaPierre goes on and on. The consummate bureaucrat. And he surrounds himself with others of his ilk. That being said, who is doing more to protect my guns? As mentioned above, if not for the NRA we wouldn't have any guns so would not have the NRA to bitch about. If other organizations do better join them and contact the NRA with your dissatisfactions. But when there are 80 million gun owners in the US and less than 4 million NRA members I feel that there are a lot of people sitting in the wagon saying "Why aren't you guys pulling us faster?".