Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   what do do you guys think of this (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/what-do-do-you-guys-think-49879/)

garrett_hurtt 10-15-2011 05:30 PM

what do do you guys think of this

Earlier this week in a small town just east of me the police tried to do a check on a guy the neighbors thought may need assistance when they arrived they were shot at before they could do anything they had to go to the courts to get a warrant to enter the house and arrest the man by the time that had happened he had killed himself I this this is a load of crap what do u think

winds-of-change 10-15-2011 05:57 PM

Why do you think this is a load of crap?

trip286 10-15-2011 06:02 PM

You think it's a load of crap as in it didn't happen? or because the cops had to go to court and get a warrant after they were fired upon?

garrett_hurtt 10-15-2011 08:30 PM

That they had to go to the courts I see this as that sooner or later if someone shots at me I will have no right to defend myself because the guy trying to kill or harm me or my family has more rights then me

IGETEVEN 10-15-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrett_hurtt (Post 601990)
Earlier this week in a small town just east of me the police tried to do a check on a guy the neighbors thought may need assistance when they arrived they were shot at before they could do anything they had to go to the courts to get a warrant to enter the house and arrest the man by the time that had happened he had killed himself I this this is a load of crap what do u think

I think they didn't follow TV police drama protocol. :eek:

What happened to "shots fired" immediate egress, calling for backup and possibly a SWAT team? :confused:

RecklessRegard 10-15-2011 09:10 PM

Without much backstory, it sounds like the guy wanted suicide by cop. Good job on the police department. Instead of having to counsel officers who just had to shoot a guy to save their own lives, they are processing a suicide scene.

trip286 10-15-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecklessRegard (Post 602105)
Without much backstory, it sounds like the guy wanted suicide by cop. Good job on the police department. Instead of having to counsel officers who just had to shoot a guy to save their own lives, they are processing a suicide scene.

I agree completely. Isn't counseling required in many departments for an officer involved shooting?

RecklessRegard 10-15-2011 10:36 PM

Around here, Cincinnati area, its always offered, if not mandatory. In fact, a few months back a buddy was in a pursuit that ended in a fatal crash. The officer barely had time to catch up and the kid ran the car over a curb and split the car literally down the middle. The officer had mandatory couple days off and a psych eval.

trip286 10-15-2011 10:41 PM

It's one of those things people have to deal with when they're put in that situation.
It doesn't matter how tough you are, if you go through something like that (suicide by cop, your buddy's fatal car chase, combat overseas), and it doesn't bother you at all, that's not really the kind of person I want to hang with. There's something broke in the brain housing group.

c3shooter 10-15-2011 10:56 PM

Procedures vary in different areas, and I know nothing of the whole story on this one- but an LEO that is in a "shots fired" situation does NOT need a warrant prior to taking action. Falls into the category of a felony committed in his presence.

Years back, had a drunk that punched his girlfriend in the face when I was about 15 ft away from him- and placed him under arrest on the spot. Yes, there was a warrant issued- after he got to the lockup. He complained to the judge that I did not have a warrant when I arrested him- judge explained that his case fell under the "Stupid in Public" rule.