Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   What do the dealers do with your information? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/what-do-dealers-do-your-information-27105/)

JasonM 05-13-2010 04:25 AM

What do the dealers do with your information?

In California when you buy a hand gun, the dealer wants two things. ID and proof of residency. A California drivers license and a copy of a car registration works just fine. I am just wondering do they just keep that in their log books, or do they actually send those in somewhere?

dunerunner 05-13-2010 04:41 AM

Why not just ask one?

BTW, Jason. Drop by the Introduction sub-forum and tell us a little about you, your interests in shooting and how you found us. :D

CA357 05-13-2010 04:49 AM

They also make a copy of your Handgun Safety Certificate. So, it's picture ID, proof of residence and the HSC.

The paperwork goes into a binder somewhere in the back of the shop. It's kept on the premises and doesn't actually go anywhere. Remember, the info has already been transmitted by computer to the Feds. However, the Cal. DOJ can come in at any time and look at the information if they desire, so can the BATFE.

Long guns are only registered as long guns. no serial number is registered. Handguns require make, model, barrel length, caliber, semiauto or revolver, Country of Manufacture and even the finish.

The wonderful CA Legislature is now pushing to have long guns individually registered. They are also trying to prohibit open carry in the places where it is now lawful.

JasonM 05-13-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 284294)
They also make a copy of your Handgun Safety Certificate. So, it's picture ID, proof of residence and the HSC.

The paperwork goes into a binder somewhere in the back of the shop. It's kept on the premises and doesn't actually go anywhere. Remember, the info has already been transmitted by computer to the Feds. However, the Cal. DOJ can come in at any time and look at the information if they desire, so can the BATFE.

Long guns are only registered as long guns. no serial number is registered. Handguns require make, model, barrel length, caliber, semiauto or revolver, Country of Manufacture and even the finish.

The wonderful CA Legislature is now pushing to have long guns individually registered. They are also trying to prohibit open carry in the places where it is now lawful.

Reason I am asking is because my car registration is due soon, and I just filed for a renewal. Should get a new registration and stickers sometime soon. Do I have to update it with them, when I do and provide them with a copy of my new registration?

CA357 05-13-2010 05:06 AM

Nope. Once the transaction is completed, it's over. You just have to have current proof of residence at the time you do the background check.

Bigcountry02 05-13-2010 05:10 AM

I like New Mexico, drivers license only! If you are military, your state you have residence and a copy of your orders coming to New Mexico.

JasonM 05-13-2010 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 284310)
Nope. Once the transaction is completed, it's over. You just have to have current proof of residence at the time you do the background check.

Cool. I was a bit concerned since my car was registered under a different address. I went ahead and had the address updated with the DMV, cant stand the DMV. Could not get a hold of them, took like 2 hours just to get an application at the window.

JasonM 05-13-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 (Post 284314)
I like New Mexico, drivers license only! If you are military, your state you have residence and a copy of your orders coming to New Mexico.

I think California has the most strict gun laws and regulations in the nation. Cant blame them after all the shootouts and gang activity.

CA357 05-13-2010 05:12 AM

My pleasure. :cool:

JasonM 05-13-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 284317)
My pleasure. :cool:

lol what happens if I move? Sorry to ask so many questions, never owned a firearm before.