What courts may dig up on you - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What courts may dig up on you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #31
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

I agree with most of the posters in this thread in that if it is a S|D case, nothing I have ever posted on the internet will have any bearing on the case. that being said, I will say that nothing I have ever siad to anyone, much less posted in a public forum, is worse than what folks who don't like me already "know" about me. i say in that case, bring your worst. i would probably agree with most if not all of it.

the only way I can see anything put on the internet being used against you is if it is in a civil case after a not guilty verdict. The rules are different for a civil case than they are for a criminal case, and if I were involved in one, see above paragraph.

If it has gotten to the point of a murder or manslaughter trial over an S|D shoot, too much has already gone wrong, and you need to listen to the best lawyer you can afford. that is your only hope in that case.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

nothing i say on this or any other forum is of any concern or worry for me. what i post is pretty close to what i say in person to people. sometimes what i post are my opinions and thoughts on how i feel, or what i would like to see happen, but not always what i would do in a situation.

they can always subpeona my co-workers and family and people i associate with in trying to assassinated my character if they so choose to, along with anything i have ever posted on any forum, and i seriously doubt it would be of much advantage for them in deciding my fate.

if they have put me into that situation of having to be in court for a shooting, then i have to agree, my bigger concern will be finding a good attorney.

which means as others have said,

1. the police didn't believe me.
2. the DA didn't believe me.
3. the grand jury didn't believe me.
4. and the judge and jury are probably not going to believe me!

Old 11-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #33

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Do not put anything on the internet you do not want the WORLD to see!!! It is just that simple.
When I was in Sales/Marketing management would always put it in terms of "Give it the Newspaper test". If what you say or do appeared on the front page of a newspaper would you be OK with it?

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
People Like This 
Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #34

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

Don't say anything stupid and you won't be accused of being stupid.

Don't do anything stupid and you won't have to explain why you look stupid.

In short don't be stupid.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #35

Anyone read the MtnJack case on this forum? He didn't commit a crime and they had info from his forum activities. Nothing drastic but enough to raise questions.

For reading and info search on Mtnjack and gun.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Old 11-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #36

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

We all should remember that nothing posted on the internet -- anywhere -- is really private. When I was a defense attorney in Fort Worth, I took it for granted that the DA's office would search online for anything they could find on a defendant, and several times photographs from Facebook or My Space made it into evidence. Does not have to be directly related to a crime; can be used to rebut statements made by defendant. For example, in a DWI case, a statement by the defendant that they rarely drink can be rebutted by Facebook photos showing a lot of party activity.

Up here in PA, the local game warden talks about how many cases he's made by Social Media photos showing illegally taken deer.

I got a client a new trial when someone sent me a links to comments made by a juror on a case -- comments made during the trial -- showing that he had his mind made up as to the guilt of the client from the beginning of the trial.

Be careful what you say on line.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I don't foresee a judge issuing a search warrant for your computer in a self defense case.
I would agree with this but what I'm referring to is a situation where someone "stumbles upon" some information more by accident or someone else and they pass the information onto someone who can use it.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Old 11-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
I would agree with this but what I'm referring to is a situation where someone "stumbles upon" some information more by accident or someone else and they pass the information onto someone who can use it.
if you are sitting in court over a criminal case, then there is always the possiblity of them digging through anything you have ever posted on the internet, a forum or social media to use against you.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 660 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i agree. a murder case, quite possible it could or would happen.
The main difference between a murder/manslaughter case, and a self defense case is pretty much how the DA wants to present the evidence to the Grand Jury.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
The main difference between a murder/manslaughter case, and a self defense case is pretty much how the DA wants to present the evidence to the Grand Jury.
a lot of that will hinge on what state you live in and what the laws are in hat state in regards to a self defence shooting. in one state that has strict gun control laws and SD laws that favor the criminals, you could quite possibly end up in court fighting to retain your freedom. in another state, they may give you a pat on the back and say good job.