What courts may dig up on you

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What courts may dig up on you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default What courts may dig up on you

With all the technologies used today (wiretaps, cell phones, texting, internet tracks, police records, etc) does anyone other than me ever think about what I post being used against me if ever involved in an incident?

I would think that how I respond to threads, what I read, my tagline, threads I initiate - this could suggest my general attitude toward guns, violence, perpetrators, robberies, etc.

We can get very emotional about criminals and violence, particularly crimes against women and children and it makes me wonder what a prosecution could do with some of this information.

Anyone else ever think about this?

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2013 Times on 1382 Posts
Likes Given: 766

First the prosecutor has to get a warrant to get this information from the NSA. Right now judges are issuing warrants for the GPS information from a given phone to locate criminals. Trials are complicated enough as it is. I am not sure that judges will issue a warrant or want to hear more character material that is not relevant to the charges one is being tried for.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

This is already a practice. It isn't even that far fetched. If Facebook can be admissible, under the right conditions, then so can anything involved with social media.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1217 Posts
Likes Given: 3456

They can't do one damn thing until you are arrested for a crime.

i'm nearly 75 years old; my tolerance for violent predators has not moderated with age. OK prosecuors very seldom charge folks who are involved in righteous shootings. If i were to get charged, i could care less what the prosecutor dredges up from the internet. What matters is the fact that me and mine have survived.

Yeah, some alleged gunowners claim those of us who are prepared to defend themselves are "vigilantes" and that talking about self defense is falling into the trap of anti-gun liberals.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #5

Liked 230 Times on 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by activereality
This is already a practice. It isn't even that far fetched. If Facebook can be admissible, under the right conditions, then so can anything involved with social media.
This is correct. A warrant may have to be issues but today that can take all of 15 min. The NSA does not have to be involved. A forensic search can be conducted on any computer or smart phone. This also reveals "deleted" material. These exams can be conducted at most any modern crime lab.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5914 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Leading your online life fearing what someone else thinks is silly. Leading your online life in such a way that demonstrates a childish nature when no one is looking at you personally and only through an anonymous avatar simply shows a total lack of character.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1217 Posts
Likes Given: 3456

Quote:
Leading your online life fearing what someone else thinks is silly.
Excellent!!!!

A person who finds himself charged with murder or manslaughter after killing someone has much larger problems than anything he may have posted on the web.

1. The cops did not believe your story.
2. The prosecutor did not believe your story.
3. The grand jury or the judge who bound you over for trial had problems with your story.

There is a very good chance a jury of your peers will not believe your story. You are in deep doo doo.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #8

Liked 295 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Even with electronics, life today isn't so different from long ago. There are infinite examples in the past when someone was in peril of being turned in to authorities or being watched over what they said, believed, or even spoke in casual conversation. I can choose not to speak my mind out of respect or tact, but I won't be silenced over fear or the possibility of repercussions by some suits with sunglasses or a man with a gavel.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #9

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I sure wouldn't post anything about illegal activity, if that is what you are referring to. That's just common sense. Otherwise, I don't know what there is to worry about....

Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Leading your online life fearing what someone else thinks is silly. Leading your online life in such a way that demonstrates a childish nature when no one is looking at you personally and only through an anonymous avatar simply shows a total lack of character.
Whoa, Jon. I'm just thinking about situations like the concerns for gun mods being used against you. They can be damaging to your character which can be on trial as well.

I'm just thinking about some of the taglines and rather harsh comments made by some one these forums. The comments may be made in vain but who's to say they wouldn't be brought up in the heat of a courtroom battle when someone is killed legally or not.

I'm not sure how convincing I could be by appearing on this forum to be swing an ax at every perp then convince a jury I'm really a nice guy. What are they going to see?

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 11-25-2013 at 05:34 PM.