Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   What courts may dig up on you (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/what-courts-may-dig-up-you-100773/)

wittmeba 11-25-2013 03:14 PM

What courts may dig up on you

With all the technologies used today (wiretaps, cell phones, texting, internet tracks, police records, etc) does anyone other than me ever think about what I post being used against me if ever involved in an incident?

I would think that how I respond to threads, what I read, my tagline, threads I initiate - this could suggest my general attitude toward guns, violence, perpetrators, robberies, etc.

We can get very emotional about criminals and violence, particularly crimes against women and children and it makes me wonder what a prosecution could do with some of this information.

Anyone else ever think about this?

John_Deer 11-25-2013 03:27 PM

First the prosecutor has to get a warrant to get this information from the NSA. Right now judges are issuing warrants for the GPS information from a given phone to locate criminals. Trials are complicated enough as it is. I am not sure that judges will issue a warrant or want to hear more character material that is not relevant to the charges one is being tried for.

activereality 11-25-2013 03:35 PM

This is already a practice. It isn't even that far fetched. If Facebook can be admissible, under the right conditions, then so can anything involved with social media.

alsaqr 11-25-2013 03:40 PM

They can't do one damn thing until you are arrested for a crime.

i'm nearly 75 years old; my tolerance for violent predators has not moderated with age. OK prosecuors very seldom charge folks who are involved in righteous shootings. If i were to get charged, i could care less what the prosecutor dredges up from the internet. What matters is the fact that me and mine have survived.

Yeah, some alleged gunowners claim those of us who are prepared to defend themselves are "vigilantes" and that talking about self defense is falling into the trap of anti-gun liberals.

FrontierTCB 11-25-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activereality
This is already a practice. It isn't even that far fetched. If Facebook can be admissible, under the right conditions, then so can anything involved with social media.

This is correct. A warrant may have to be issues but today that can take all of 15 min. The NSA does not have to be involved. A forensic search can be conducted on any computer or smart phone. This also reveals "deleted" material. These exams can be conducted at most any modern crime lab.

JonM 11-25-2013 03:55 PM

Leading your online life fearing what someone else thinks is silly. Leading your online life in such a way that demonstrates a childish nature when no one is looking at you personally and only through an anonymous avatar simply shows a total lack of character.

alsaqr 11-25-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Leading your online life fearing what someone else thinks is silly.
Excellent!!!!

A person who finds himself charged with murder or manslaughter after killing someone has much larger problems than anything he may have posted on the web.

1. The cops did not believe your story.
2. The prosecutor did not believe your story.
3. The grand jury or the judge who bound you over for trial had problems with your story.

There is a very good chance a jury of your peers will not believe your story. You are in deep doo doo.

GTX63 11-25-2013 04:26 PM

Even with electronics, life today isn't so different from long ago. There are infinite examples in the past when someone was in peril of being turned in to authorities or being watched over what they said, believed, or even spoke in casual conversation. I can choose not to speak my mind out of respect or tact, but I won't be silenced over fear or the possibility of repercussions by some suits with sunglasses or a man with a gavel.

chloeshooter 11-25-2013 04:26 PM

I sure wouldn't post anything about illegal activity, if that is what you are referring to. That's just common sense. Otherwise, I don't know what there is to worry about....

wittmeba 11-25-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1440182)
Leading your online life fearing what someone else thinks is silly. Leading your online life in such a way that demonstrates a childish nature when no one is looking at you personally and only through an anonymous avatar simply shows a total lack of character.

Whoa, Jon. I'm just thinking about situations like the concerns for gun mods being used against you. They can be damaging to your character which can be on trial as well.

I'm just thinking about some of the taglines and rather harsh comments made by some one these forums. The comments may be made in vain but who's to say they wouldn't be brought up in the heat of a courtroom battle when someone is killed legally or not.

I'm not sure how convincing I could be by appearing on this forum to be swing an ax at every perp then convince a jury I'm really a nice guy. What are they going to see?