what can i expect?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > what can i expect?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what can i expect?

A couple weeks ago, my wife was pulled over for speeding. She was in my car and my pistol was in the car. She knew it was there. The officer asked her if there was anything in the car and she told him about the gun. He removed the gun from the car and told her he would "pretend this never happened". He did not issue her a citation for the speeding or the weapon. She told me about the incident when I got home from work. I was heartbroken, I owned that gun for 9+ years. It was a Beretta 92fs.
So since this happened I have been stressing out. On one hand my wife is pissed at me and does not want me to push the issue. On the other hand I can't stop thinking about it. I called the police station and explained what had happened. I was advised there was no traffic stop on that day and time fitting my description. They also said my wife is lying and thier officers would never do such a thing. So i finally called a police unit to my house today and just reported it as stolen. The officer gave me a card with a case number. He wrote down a description of the gun. I do not have the serial number, and the place where I bought it is gone. The question is will this incident affect my future in purchasing firearms? Because this gun registered to myself was taken by a LEO mean that I will be blacklisted in some way? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wait a minute, the officer took the gun, said thank you and left? That is total BS. I do not know what FL laws are about carrying in a vehicle, but in no way is what he did legal. Do not let this go away. If the PD Internal Affairs will not do anything, go to the State Police or go to the local media and bust it wide open. Who knows how many other times that he has done this. Does she remember his name, is she positive about which agency the officer is from? DO NOT LET THIS DROP.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I don't know much about the laws in Florida.
Here in Georgia, your vehicle is considered by law, an extension of your home.. it is perfectly legal to have a gun in your car, with or without a carry permit.
If this was an incident that happened in Ga, I would say that your wife had encountered a bad cop that really liked your gun.
Did he give ANY indication as to why he took it?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

In my thread I am being very straightforward. There are a couple details which make this situation a little touchy. I could not help but pry a little, that is why I called and asked. The LEO could have arrested her for knowing it was there, I'll leave it at that. Ultimately I know it was my fault for leaving it there. I have no excuses why I did. I called it in stolen today. I told the officer I left the car unlocked and it was stolen. I know the gun is gone for good. At this point my main concern is can this affect me? My FFL dealer said "no". Today I learned that a serial # only exists where I bought the gun 9 years ago, and that place is gone. And when a cop runs the SN it only tells him if it's stolen. I just bought a new Stag AR15 a week before this happened. I own several other firearms and I plan on buying more. I have been a gun owner since I was 18, and BB guns before that. I am only worried this incident will affect that RIGHT. Thanks again.

Last edited by jason32; 06-26-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

1st thing (if confronted in a situation like this), ask for a receipt. What the LE did is the same as saying "Got any drugs? Give to me, and nothing will be said (but I will enjoy them later)". You got ripped off, dude.

A firearm can be carried in an auto in FL without a CCP, as along as, the "two move" rule cannot be violated. That means, if you have direct contact (on your lap or seat, unholstered/in a gun-rug), you are viloating state statutes.
If it requires you to (1) open glove box, center console, carry case, unholster, then (2) have the firearm in your hand - Okay.
If you can go from empty hand to gun-in-hand - Not Okay.
Bottom line - Sorry for your loss. With no record, it is gone.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I wonder how many weapons this guy has picked up so cheap.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Something sounds fishy. There has to be more information than you are giving or getting in order to let it go that readily, IMHO. Also, it is not a privilege to own a firearm. It is your right as a U.S. citizen as outlined in the Constitution.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Based on the way you describe it, the cop figured he could steal the handgun and your wife was in no position to argue or she'd be in hot water. You got ripped off. Welcome to earth. It sucks, but it happens. You will probably never get the handgun back -- particularly if the cops say there's no record of any stop that day at that time.

Always keep a log of all serial numbers secure in a home safe.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the responses, and thanks for pointing out that it's my right not priveledge. I dunno what i was thinking when i typed that.
However my main question is: Can my right to buy guns be taken away over this?

Last edited by jason32; 06-26-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason32 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses, and thanks for pointing out that it's my right not priveledge. I dunno what i was thinking when i typed that.
However my main question is: Can my right to buy guns be taken away over this?
I don't think this will be a problem for you in the future at all. If you're concerned, go buy a new firearm to test the theory.