What the?!?!?! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > What the?!?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Hey!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
It seems 50 years of the Liberal Teachers Union has taken a terrible toll on the Public School System. Our Public Schools rank below many third world countries. Two thirds of every dollar spent on education goes to teachers pay.
You want better educated KIDS?? Pay for Better Educated TEACHERS
(Fmr. Spec Ed. HS Teacher/Football Coach/Asst. Dean-Post Active duty)

My former Employer, Mayor Billionaire Berg. issued an edict when he got control of the NYC DOE from sane people " cut 25% of the work force and 33% of the salary in 5 years or you loose your Job" this he says to every Principal in NYC...not the incompetent teachers,...ALL Teachers!! I spent 137K to attend College for close to 15 total years(plus an 82K Grant, or else I would not have(been able to) get the doctoral degree! Then "Bloombomb" freezes ALL raises for Educational credit!~!

Teachers expect to be asked to do more with less, but Parents have to be prepared for outcome of shortages of properly trained teachers.

(getting off soapbox now)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #12

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why is the answer to a decaying Public School system always more teachers pay. Paying teachers more has not improved anything beyond a teachers life.
Any teacher who is not satisfied with their pay should join the public work force. We all paid big bucks for College degrees.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 9917

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
You want better educated KIDS?? Pay for Better Educated TEACHERS
(Fmr. Spec Ed. HS Teacher/Football Coach/Asst. Dean-Post Active duty)

My former Employer, Mayor Billionaire Berg. issued an edict when he got control of the NYC DOE from sane people " cut 25% of the work force and 33% of the salary in 5 years or you loose your Job" this he says to every Principal in NYC...not the incompetent teachers,...ALL Teachers!! I spent 137K to attend College for close to 15 total years(plus an 82K Grant, or else I would not have(been able to) get the doctoral degree! Then "Bloombomb" freezes ALL raises for Educational credit!~!

Teachers expect to be asked to do more with less, but Parents have to be prepared for outcome of shortages of properly trained teachers.

(getting off soapbox now)
Thank you. I will now mount said soapbox.

You failed to mention one vital part of the problems with every school system in this country. Tenure. Who goes and who is kept is decided by seniority, not performance. There is more than one apathetic teacher out there who is doing our kids no favors via their continued employment.

Next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Why is the answer to a decaying Public School system always more teachers pay. Paying teachers more has not improved anything beyond a teachers life.
Any teacher who is not satisfied with their pay should join the public work force. We all paid big bucks for College degrees.
More than once I have wondered that very thing. One of my favorite things to say to the permanent employees of the SUNY system, with whom I worked for 3 years, as a temp no less, when they started to complain about only getting $21, 853 a year in salary to mop floors was:

" Go out and get a job in the private sector doing what you are doing now. if you do, don't worry. I'll make sure to bid on your job before you can return. Go live on minimum wage for a while, it builds character."

Funny thing is, no one ever took me up on that. The same problem exists on every level of our education system. My job, along with 5 others, was eliminated to free up money to pay for, get this, an Assistant, to the assiistant, of the President of Fredonia State University. Effin' really! School administrations do a wonderful job of money management nowadays, don't they?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Been that route too! Worked as an asst. for 10k a year to start. worked my way up even after an Associates Degree in a different area and 5+ years active duty. We gladly gave up tenure and worked summer school to keep our jobs and keep more folks employed. Every Time NYC asked for something back to tide them over we obliged, a whole lot quicker then say, the NYC Transit Auth. I'm sure working for SUNY you saw the same pile of dung,..just different steam

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6957 Times on 3502 Posts
Likes Given: 7567

Sadly, about 10 years ago, they told every high school student that teaching was the perfect future for them, since then, weve graduated so many that they couldnt possibly all get jobs, most have huge bills and little income to pay them.

As far as this teacher goes, I support his efforts to use this survey as a teaching and learning moment. The schools are not exempt from rights and freedom, hell they were sculpted 100 years and more ago to make sure our youngest learners knew all they could about our system of laws and their responsibilities.

I am extremely bothered by the behind closed doors treatment of this situation, silence is golden unless your talking about rights and due process. This is the way they hide questionable authoritative actions, its not about anything but STFU or your gonna be unemployed!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #16

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

This is the point that we are coming to in this country!!! If the Libs don't like what you say, if you disagree with them or their ideas, they come after you with everything that they have. Their idea of freedom of speech and expression means you have these rights as long as you parrot THEIR beliefs or ideas. Otherwise, you had best keep your mouth shut or the IRS or FBI may begin an investigation of your whole life.