Were people REQUIRED to stay inside? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Were people REQUIRED to stay inside?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1190 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 509

I really don't understand the anger, fear, and paranoia that comes from civilians directed at the police and military.

I'm pretty sure that the police officers who were going house to house didn't turn out in tactical gear because they wanted to get their jollies harassing or intimidating the local populace on a Friday night.

Is asking someone to stay in a place of relative safety or temporarily taking someone away from a place where a person who is committed to murdering Americans a real attempt to take away someone's rights or freedom?

Terrorists dropping bombs out the back window of a car and blazing away at the police isn't a normal, everyday occurrence here in America. It might be normal for Afghanistan but I'm not sure many Americans, apart from the terrorists, really want the Afghanistan experience.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #72

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
I really don't understand the anger, fear, and paranoia that comes from civilians directed at the police and military.

I'm pretty sure that the police officers who were going house to house didn't turn out in tactical gear because they wanted to get their jollies harassing or intimidating the local populace on a Friday night.

Is asking someone to stay in a place of relative safety or temporarily taking someone away from a place where a person who is committed to murdering Americans a real attempt to take away someone's rights or freedom?

Terrorists dropping bombs out the back window of a car and blazing away at the police isn't a normal, everyday occurrence here in America. It might be normal for Afghanistan but I'm not sure many Americans, apart from the terrorists, really want the Afghanistan experience.
It's just as you said.. Paranoia. Some will use any reason they can to form a conspiracy about the boogie man to feed their agenda. It's how politics work these days. Sad really.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

People Like This 
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609

Funny, I work in Boston, on the overnight shift. I left work late that morning, because my relief was late.

I left AFTER they said to stay inside. Walked by a dozen Boston cops on my way to Dunkies before they closed. Didn't get looked at funny.

Walked back to work, got in my car, and drove home. Not one cop pulled me over.

Point? Too many damn paranoid people that think if they don't do what they are told, they will get arrested.
You weren't out trying to find this dumb ass kid like an idiot. You were following your normal routine after work, had you been riding around blocks shining a light behind houses looking to take action on your own or impeding the search or acting suspicious then there's a chance you'd have been stopped and questioned.
Following your normal routine and driving home from work is a stretch from bucking directions and doing whatever you want. No big deal really..

DISCE PATI

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #74
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 4273

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
You weren't out trying to find this dumb ass kid like an idiot. You were following your normal routine after work, had you been riding around blocks shining a light behind houses looking to take action on your own or impeding the search or acting suspicious then there's a chance you'd have been stopped and questioned.
Following your normal routine and driving home from work is a stretch from bucking directions and doing whatever you want. No big deal really..
What I was doing was no different than what everyone else that was out and about.

Watertown (where the guy was hiding and where the focus of the search was) is far enough away from Boston as to not have had any effect on those that live and work in Boston (unless you live in Watertown).

The point I was making was that his comment was rediculous. I have family in Watertown, that had left their home to go look in on other family members (they were not holding banners or signs that said "we're going to check on family"), who weren't stopped by police (or arrested, or harrassed, or anything). And yes, some of them do look suspicious.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

People Like This 
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #75

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post

You're probably right..They where just following orders....And that always makes everything....OK

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
You're probably right..They where just following orders....And that always makes everything....OK
Right, they were doing it because they felt the need to give conspiracy nuts something to talk about.

You ever hear of the 1994 North Hollywood shoot out?

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

7point62 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I feel the need to say this, as it applies here more than anywhere else on this site...

Boston police are NOT like the NYPD or LAPD. BPD does not have anywhere near the level of douchebaggery they have.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #78

Quote:

What I was doing was no different than what everyone else that was out and about.

Watertown (where the guy was hiding and where the focus of the search was) is far enough away from Boston as to not have had any effect on those that live and work in Boston (unless you live in Watertown).

The point I was making was that his comment was rediculous. I have family in Watertown, that had left their home to go look in on other family members (they were not holding banners or signs that said "we're going to check on family"), who weren't stopped by police (or arrested, or harrassed, or anything). And yes, some of them do look suspicious.
Quote:
I feel the need to say this, as it applies here more than anywhere else on this site...

Boston police are NOT like the NYPD or LAPD. BPD does not have anywhere near the level of douchebaggery they have.
Seriously, if you or your family looked or were acting suspicious in a town/city where police, swat national guard are looking for a bombing suspect.. You and them would have been questioned.
Not exactly sure are if you're trying to impress by 'bucking' the system or what.., either way it sounds ridiculous.. With that, I'm done..

DISCE PATI

Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #79

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
Are you somehow suggesting we live in fear of people who would kill us for no other reason than we exist?
Not at all. I guess I was overly abrupt with my response there and thus not as clear as I should have been.

What I am suggesting is that we recognize these medieval bottom feeders for what they are and deal with them accordingly. I suppose I am a wee bit over-sensitive about anything that sounds like this should be the "new normal" or that sounds like excuse-making or characterizes this as Tom Brokaw did - and you quoted - as the unpreventable "the price we need to pay" for anything.

There is no excuse for killing innocents. There is no comparable behaviour by either of our militaries. Trying to "understand" butchery is, at best, a fool's game and, at worst, provides them some sort of legitimacy.

This is not the price we need to pay for anything. It should not be accepted as inevitable. This behaviour merits a hollow point and nothing else.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 04-26-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #80

Liked 835 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Not at all. I guess I was overly abrupt with my response there and thus not as clear as I should have been.

What I am suggesting is that we recognize these medieval bottom feeders for what they are and deal with them accordingly. I suppose I am a wee bit over-sensitive about anything that sounds like this should be the "new normal" or that sounds like excuse-making or characterizes this as Tom Brokaw did - and you quoted - as the unpreventable "the price we need to pay" for anything.

There is no excuse for killing innocents. There is no comparable behaviour by either of our militaries. Trying to "understand" butchery is, at best, a fool's game and, at worst, provides them some sort of legitimacy.

This is not the price we need to pay for anything. It should not be accepted as inevitable. This behaviour merits a hollow point and nothing else.
Mr Borkaw nor I stated that.. He was asked about preventing events like the marathon bombing from happening.... and he was right in his statement that you cannot stop them with any certainty or without giving up some freedoms.... Then he went on to say some stuff about U.S. drone strikes being partially to blame and he lost me.....
While I'll concede innocents (mind you they ARE in a war zone) have died.. those drone strikes have saved American soldiers' lives, bringing a swifter end to this conflict and have done serious damage to the enemy's operational structures. Good trade off to me.

Last edited by NC1760; 04-26-2013 at 08:49 PM.
locutus Likes This 
Closed Thread