Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Well regulated militias the answer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

The word "Regulated" didn't mean the same thing back then as it does today. To "Regulate" something was to "adjust" it as in "to regulate your sights". You can also substitute the word "Trained" in place of "Regulated" so that the first part would read "A well Trained Militia being necessary to the security of a Free State"
Also "The Militia" was not an organized body like the National Guard that so many Anti-Gun folks like to talk about. It was all males between the ages of 18-45(although age has changed from time to time) who could take up arms to defend the "State" or their local area in case of attack from an outside force.
In a nut shell you could rewrite the 2A like this:
"People need to be trained in military tactics in order to defend themselves and keep their State Free from an oppressive Federal Government SO weapons suitable for militia use shall never be banned from possession or use by the people."

This is the War Room!"

Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1770 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 353

We can play with words all we want, the United States Government is not going to allow anyone to form "militias" beyond the state level (reserve). You can stock up on all the AR's and AK's you want, they send in a drone you can't even see and before you know it, you are a stain.

Without any proper governance, a bunch of people whose commonality is gun ownership are going to have some serious issues with organization and power struggles. And I'll be damned if I am going to let some civilian yahoo with an AR15 bark orders at me any more than I want the Government telling me what to do. No offense to anyone here, but I will not be looking for fellow Firearmstalk posters to "follow into battle" should things change in this country to the point that we need to take up arms against Uncle Sam. I will be taking my family to the hills long before that

Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #23

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Just a thought here - In this day & age, does the govt. not consider a well regulated/organized militia to be a threat? That's the feeling I get. Look at the Militias out west. They're generally portrayed as a bunch of crazies. (Similar situation: NORFED/Liberty Dollar.) Also, if there WAS an organized Militia, what makes anyone think that the govt. couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it? What makes anyone think that the courts would be on their side? The govt. and courts can do anything they want, legal or not, it's a big reason we're in this mess to begin with. Part of the problem may be that we as a people did nothing for a long time, and let this happen. People want to keep and bear arms, form militias, keep the govt. in check; we should have been doing it from day one.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #24

Liked 1114 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
The word "Regulated" didn't mean the same thing back then as it does today. To "Regulate" something was to "adjust" it as in "to regulate your sights". You can also substitute the word "Trained" in place of "Regulated" so that the first part would read "A well Trained Militia being necessary to the security of a Free State"
Also "The Militia" was not an organized body like the National Guard that so many Anti-Gun folks like to talk about. It was all males between the ages of 18-45(although age has changed from time to time) who could take up arms to defend the "State" or their local area in case of attack from an outside force.
In a nut shell you could rewrite the 2A like this:
"People need to be trained in military tactics in order to defend themselves and keep their State Free from an oppressive Federal Government SO weapons suitable for militia use shall never be banned from possession or use by the people."
There is great danger in redifining the words of the document. What works for you can work against you.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #25

Well regulated = well equipped.

Militia = citizens of this country

Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You're not gonna be forming a militia until the government has totally flipped out and it's time for a civil war - and at that point - you can have whatever weapon you want.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #27

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
You're not gonna be forming a militia until the government has totally flipped out and it's time for a civil war - and at that point - you can have whatever weapon you want.
Scary yet exciting...