Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Weapons on Federal Property

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Weapons on Federal Property

I work for the USPS,and we have a law the prohibits us from having a weapon any where on Postal property, including vehicles in the parking lot. I was wondering if anyone knows of this law being challenged as unconstitutional? If so maybe a link to some info on it. I have read the laws many times and I keep coming up with the opinion that they say on one hand that it is illegal but turn around and say this law does not negate any other laws. The more I think about this the more it rubs me wrong. The goverment passes a law like this acknowledging the fact that we work in a dangerous enviroment, but refuses to let us protect ourselves.
Thanks for any info, Jeff

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jeff,
Understand the frustration fully. As ridiculous as that one is, I'll go one better. Members of the military that have valid CCW permits are not allowed to bring loaded/ concealed weapons on an installation even though that is where their house is. So the drill is to unload and case until off post, load and carry legally off post, then unload and case before going back on the installation to go back to their family home. And these are the same individuals trusted to carry NFA of the super variety weapons regularly. It is crazy, but it is what has to be done to stay clean. The post office scenario for you is different, more akin to the campus carry push that is going on across the country. I believe National Parks and other fed facilities will remain off limits, I am unaware of any challenges to the law. I didn't know about the parking lot extension though. Is your vehicle subject to search in the lot? I don't recall ever seeing signs in the lot resticting posession. if that is true, it would be illegal to be carrying and leave your gun in the truck to go inside as a patron. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #3

Default more

The way I understand Michigan's CCW law is it is illegal to have your gun on postal property. So you better park on the city street and leave it in the car. For the most part I believe the story book days of mail train and truck robberies are pretty much over. Around here the banks, "so many branch offices" and gas stations and pizza parlors all ways making the TV news.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Jeff,
I believe National Parks and other fed facilities will remain off limits, I am unaware of any challenges to the law. Good luck.

The law governing National Parks has already been challenged by the Bush Administration - a resolution is due any day now. See pg.90 of the May issue of the American Rifleman...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #5

The puplic is excempt from pulling up to the public areas. The law is posted on all employee areas. Vehicles are subject to "Inspection" at anytime. I am familiar with the hassle at military bases, when I was in the AirForce we had to drive straight from the gate to the armory check our weapons in and when we left the base to go hunting or shooting had to go check them out. Even the State laws of "Firearm free school zones" do not limit you from leaving a weapon in your vehicle, they have deemed that unconstitutional to keep you from carrying a weapon in "The extension of your home", the car.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
The law governing National Parks has already been challenged by the Bush Administration - a resolution is due any day now. See pg.90 of the May issue of the American Rifleman...
Thanks MAG, that is some good news at least. Hopefully it will go through, the predators of the two legged kind in the nat'l parks know they have a free ride for now.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #7

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

What state do you live in hillbilly68? In indiana, the holder of a handgun licence is permitted to carry his/her weapon in a state park. I read about it in Guns & Ammo and later went to a state park for a family reunion and had no problems packin' my 1911A1. Indiana, from what I hear, has some of the loosest gun laws.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In KY we are good to go in state parks, just not nat'l parks (as everyone in the US is so restricted)

Unfortunately some of the "wilderness" is taken up by national parks (not Nat'l Forests where it is OK to carry for the most part depending on state)

Maybe we can win one!??

Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I work on an Army post and I'm in the same boat. The fact that it's located in a crappy part of Atlanta really makes the situation worse...