Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > We need to influence the terminology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Standard capacity is genius. I love it!

Since AR-15's are the most popular rifle sold in America and 30rd magazines are the most common capacity sold.

This AR-15 should be referred to as a common American Civilian Defense Rifle with standard capacity magazine...

When Remington came out with R15 and the R25 with the camo cover they called them predator hunting rifles. The AR is an acceptable hunting platform. And my 92A1 came with 3 seventeen round magazines standard from the factory.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4239

I think it should be called a varmint rifle. After all, that's what it's used for!

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #23

Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

IMO, if we can introduce enough new people to

the fun of range shooting, "terminology" and

the antics of antis will all be a moot point,

and hopefully distant memory.

Take someone new to the range today!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4239

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
IMO, if we can introduce enough new people to

the fun of range shooting, "terminology" and

the antics of antis will all be a moot point,

and hopefully distant memory.

Take someone new to the range today!
Good point!

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #25

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

FYI

Ruger & Smith and Wesson both released a press release today and they both referred to AR-15s as "Modern Sporting Rifles".

So, there we have it! Let's all get on the same page with the big boys adopting the terminology change. Anyone says "assault rifle" and you SHOULD correct them every time (even just annoy them) but interject you must...

MODERN SPORTING RIFLE

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR
vincent Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5492 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 5830

I pretty much call them all Firearms, the only descriptions needed for the novice on top of that might be Long or Pistols. They are simple terms without any confusing adjectives or other misnomers attached. Really, the only other general descriptions that can be used without confusing mindless turds is Rifle or Shotgun. Those of us who actually know specifics about the Weapon were talking about can certainly add the appropriate Noun Nomenclature but those terms are irrelevant to dimbulbs so dont bother confusing the conversation with facts for them.

Those that are truly clueless really dont understand or care about the actual physical differences we know to be evident between them, why bother wasting your breath? We also all realize that anything you attack a person or object with including your bare hands are assault weapons, wasting your time parsing rutabagas with idiots is useless.

Weapons are just weapons until an action is involved with them by a human. There is no such thing as an Automatic Assault Weapon without a finger that holds the trigger and a brain that knows how to operate one. Auto fire isnt any more dangerous than single shot all by itself, the action on the objective is the only possible area of concern, was the action in defense or was it an offensive action? Even then, the action isnt wrong if you are in fear of your life or protecting others from a criminal action perpetrated by the individuals your assaulting!

If you need to argue anything, tell them that just because something is an "Assault Weapon" doesnt mean its bad! It just means it can be used as a means of defense or offense (it may also be useful as a tent pole or walking stick but thats another discussion), the situation is the only thing that dictates the legality of the usage!

We get way too wrapped up in the redefining of simple terms, thats never gonna serve us well. Its a game they play that we can only lose at because its a total distraction from the facts and realities.

Those who have been Raped, Molested, abused or attacked deserve the all important Assault Weapon of their choice to fend off the assault they will receive otherwise. I really dont care if its a Mk 19, Maw Deuce or a trebuchet your using to defend yourself, its not anyone's right to say you should die unless you have a govt approved acceptable form of Firearm to respond with.

This is not a game of Rock, Paper, scissors; its real life and real death for the persons involved in an attack. I guess I refuse to try to educate dorks that just dont care about the specifics of the items they seek to regulate if they really dont understand that nothing and everything are just as dangerous or not at all dangerous according to the situation, not the law!

Any Assault Weapon Ban will morph because truly, the day they convinced us that an Assault Weapon was bad, they potentially banned everything that could be used to assault someone. The list will grow and grow just like Kudzu if we dont get it removed from the "bad list" like a cancer!

I say, dont ban Assault Weapons, prosecute Criminals that use any Weapon illegally!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 01-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.
opaww Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post

If you need to argue anything, tell them that just because something is an "Assault Weapon" doesnt mean its bad!
We can't let them get away with that anymore. The word "assault" is bad and they picked it on purpose. To a significant percengage of Americans who know nothing at all about guns and don't even care about politicals, they will naturally agree with banning "assault" weapons just because it sounds bad. If you asked the same clueless person if they would ban "modern sporting rifles", it would affect the overall poll outcome positively.

I hear the NRA is also using the terminology "modern sporting rifle" now too, so we need to be a united front. I'm not going to be a person to nit-pick. MODERN SPORTING RIFLE works good enough to counter the term "assault". So, let's all get on board with our language.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5492 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 5830

Quote:
We can't let them get away with that anymore. The word "assault" is bad and they picked it on purpose. To a significant percengage of Americans who know nothing at all about guns and don't even care about politicals, they will naturally agree with banning "assault" weapons just because it sounds bad. If you asked the same clueless person if they would ban "modern sporting rifles", it would affect the overall poll outcome positively.

I hear the NRA is also using the terminology "modern sporting rifle" now too, so we need to be a united front. I'm not going to be a person to nit-pick. MODERN SPORTING RIFLE works good enough to counter the term "assault". So, let's all get on board with our language.
Turn it right back at them, just cause they dont like how a word sounds doesnt mean they can claim ownership to it! "Military" isnt bad, why do they get to use it in the same sentence as something they are marking like Satan? "He staged a Military Attack on the Grade School", "shot all those children with a Military style Assault Weapon", He apartment had Military style booby traps". That crap makes my blood boil! 21 years in the military, we never had a drill to "Assault a K-5 School" or "Channel and exterminate unarmed Children" and while I can envision ways to make entering my home dangerous, it wasnt the military that taught me to think, I already had that going on before I enlisted!

What happens when we stop using the Term "Assault" in conjunction with Weapon or Rifle is that they get to own the definition! I wont let that happen on my watch! I am a "Military Assault Weapon" and I am damn proud of it. I was trained by the best to inflict the worst on whoever the US Government shined a laser at! I may be retired but I'm no less a threat to "The Bad Guy" than I was 15 years ago, I just receive my orders from god now and Im in charge of my BOR's not BHO and Luke Puke!!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #29

http://www.nssf.org/msr/facts.cfm

Modern Sporting Rifle Facts

The modern sporting rifle, based on the AR-15 platform, is widely misunderstood. Why? Confusion exists because while these rifles may cosmetically look like military rifles, they do not function the same way. Also, groups wanting to ban these rifles have for years purposely or through ignorance spread misinformation about them to aid their cause.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation asks you to be an informed gun owner and to use the following facts to correct misconceptions about these rifles. Remember, that if AR-15-style modern sporting rifles are banned, your favorite traditional-looking hunting or target shooting semi-automatic firearm could be banned, too.

AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today's modern sporting rifle.

The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."

AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an "assault weapon," he or she either supports banning these firearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. "Assault weapon" is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.

AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

Versions of modern sporting rifles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail firearm purchasers.

Since the 19th century, civilian sporting rifles have evolved from their military predecessors. The modern sporting rifle simply follows that tradition.

These rifles' accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and versatility serve target shooters and hunters well. They are true all-weather firearms.

Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40, and .45 are available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.

These rifles are used for many different types of hunting, from varmint to big game. And they're used for target shooting in the national matches.

AR-15-style rifles are no more powerful than other hunting rifles of the same caliber and in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting cartridges like the 30-06 Springfield and .300 Win. Mag.

The AR-15 platform is modular. Owners like being able to affix different "uppers" (the barrel and chamber) to the "lower" (the grip, stock).

And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #30

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:

What I am suppose to call mine? I dont have any "Modern Sporting Rifles", Just "Antiquated Military Rifles"