We need to influence the terminology - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > We need to influence the terminology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1365 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 3441

I think that it is my turn to be a smart a$$ here,

My Mosin-Nagants and SKS uses clips to load them. Thought I never have, but the guide for them is there.

My SVD Sniper Rifle uses magazines. Now those I have used frequently.

Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Just what I was afraid of. The clip/magazine BULLSH#T is starting again.

GIVE IT A REST!

Nobody but a real far out fanatic really gives a damn whether you call it a clip or a magazine.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6009 Times on 3403 Posts
Likes Given: 5616

IMHO, the important thing is to use a term that 99 percent of the populace understands, and not try to display "your superior knowledge" by insisting on technicalities.

We all know what you mean if you say that your gun is is equipped with a scope.But the military would insist that's it's not a "gun" if it doesn't have wheels on it, and the optical sighting device is a "telescopic sight" not a scope. Who cares?

We all know the difference between a clip and a magazine. but MOST shooters who are not military veterans use the terms interchangeably.

What difference does it make????

The purpose of both written and spoken communication is to convey information.

If that goal is met, you've successfully conveyed the information, which was the goal in the first place.

Winston Churchill

Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, if we all agree to call a that idiot that shot up the movie theater in Aurora, CO "pig****er", that would be OK, so long as we all know who we are talking about?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6009 Times on 3403 Posts
Likes Given: 5616

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
So, if we all agree to call a that idiot that shot up the movie theater in Aurora, CO "pig****er", that would be OK, so long as we all know who we are talking about?
Why not?

Winston Churchill

Old 08-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Some bogus terminology developed by the gun control crowd has continued to cause problems. Even Bill O'Reilly just threw out a brand new term last week "heavy weapons" which nobody knows what the definition of that is.

What's the difference between an AR-15 and a Mini-14? One is an "assault rifle" because it has a pistol grip? Otherwise they do the exact same thing.
"Assault Rifle" is a bogus terminology.

Similarly, another term that popped up around the same timeframe is "African-American". A person from Egypt that comes to American isn't an African-American even though they come from Africa, but they aren't black. A black person that comes from Europe to America is an African-American even though they didn't come from Africa. "African-American" is another bogus terminology (coined by Jesse Jackson) that doesn't make any sense but has become in common use like "assault rifle".

There are people who like to redefine things and it's messing up society. Bill Clinton called taxes "contributions". The Obamacare Act called individual mandate not a tax, but the supreme court says it is a tax and there is still much division on what the correct terminology is.

The call is to not accept bogus terminology. We've got to keep the vocabulary clear. We are part of the problem if we allow or acquiesce to attempts to confuse by redefinition. Much trouble is caused by allowing false and bogus terminology to take root.

I challenge you to not use the bogus term "assault rifle" anymore. Do not accept confusing terminolgy from anybody. It's a black person, it's a tax, it's a semi-automatic rifle. Be precise. Be correct, not "politically correct".

Thank you.
You get my support mathor !!

I've long demanded everyone use "military pattern rifle" rather than "assault weapon". The latter term is the fictitous creation of Josh Sugarmann who encourages the use of this deliberate mis-characterization of a rifle using a common means of self loading as being "more emotional" . >MW

Old 08-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #16

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Standard capacity is genius. I love it!

Since AR-15's are the most popular rifle sold in America and 30rd magazines are the most common capacity sold.

This AR-15 should be referred to as a common American Civilian Defense Rifle with standard capacity magazine...

I prefer Semi Auto Sporting Rifle w/ Standard Magazine Capacity.

Some question the need for defensive guns but few question sporting implements.

I also live it when a liberal gasps..."You're pro GUN!"

I always reply..."Well, I'm pro freedom, how about you?"

Liberal..."So...do you own asault weapons?"

Me..."Well, I do keep an assortment of sporting arms"

Liberal..."An assortment? So, how many guns do you own?"

Me..."Enough to participate in the disciplines I enjoy and ensure the safety of my family".

It's usually never gets this far before the LIBTARD melts down and makes a comets ass of themselves while I maintain composure as a comets gentlemen.

Off course changing the libtard's mind is impossible so I only engage if there are impressionable fence sitters observing.

Tack

Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #17

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleberry1 View Post
i prefer semi auto sporting rifle w/ standard magazine capacity.

Some question the need for defensive guns but few question sporting implements.

I also live it when a liberal gasps..."you're pro gun!"

i always reply..."well, i'm pro freedom, how about you?"

liberal..."so...do you own asault weapons?"

me..."well, i do keep an assortment of sporting arms"

liberal..."an assortment? So, how many guns do you own?"

me..."enough to participate in the disciplines i enjoy and ensure the safety of my family".

It's usually never gets this far before the libtard melts down and makes a comets ass of themselves while i maintain composure as a comets gentlemen.

of course changing the libtard's mind is impossible so i only engage if there are impressionable fence sitters observing.

Tack
.............qft..........

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #18

Liked 2555 Times on 1456 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

Political correctness is the belief that you can pick up a terd from the clean end...

Old 08-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Why not?
Sounds good; so let it be written: That idiot that shot those people in that Aurora, CO theater shall be known as "pig****er".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #20

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Sounds good; so let it be written: That idiot that shot those people in that Aurora, CO theater shall be known as "pig****er".
Pig ****er....Love it!

I have a poker buddy who shouts ^^THIS^^ everytime I drop a straight on his 2 pairs...

Tack