We need to influence the terminology
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > We need to influence the terminology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Default We need to influence the terminology

Some bogus terminology developed by the gun control crowd has continued to cause problems. Even Bill O'Reilly just threw out a brand new term last week "heavy weapons" which nobody knows what the definition of that is.

What's the difference between an AR-15 and a Mini-14? One is an "assault rifle" because it has a pistol grip? Otherwise they do the exact same thing.
"Assault Rifle" is a bogus terminology.

Similarly, another term that popped up around the same timeframe is "African-American". A person from Egypt that comes to American isn't an African-American even though they come from Africa, but they aren't black. A black person that comes from Europe to America is an African-American even though they didn't come from Africa. "African-American" is another bogus terminology (coined by Jesse Jackson) that doesn't make any sense but has become in common use like "assault rifle".

There are people who like to redefine things and it's messing up society. Bill Clinton called taxes "contributions". The Obamacare Act called individual mandate not a tax, but the supreme court says it is a tax and there is still much division on what the correct terminology is.

The call is to not accept bogus terminology. We've got to keep the vocabulary clear. We are part of the problem if we allow or acquiesce to attempts to confuse by redefinition. Much trouble is caused by allowing false and bogus terminology to take root.

I challenge you to not use the bogus term "assault rifle" anymore. Do not accept confusing terminolgy from anybody. It's a black person, it's a tax, it's a semi-automatic rifle. Be precise. Be correct, not "politically correct".

Thank you.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR
rjd3282 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5955 Times on 3372 Posts
Likes Given: 5534

I agree with vyou 100 percent. I don't use the politically correct terms.

But good luck in changing it. Once a "word" gets into general useage, it seems to live forever.

As an example, look at the popular convention of referring to homosexuals as "gay" people, or conservatives as "right-wingers.".

We probably can't change it, but we need to try.

Winston Churchill

Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Thumbs up

You're right...here's some good reading...

http://www.gunlaws.com/politicallycorrect.htm

I just hope this thread doesn't spiral into the 'mag vs. clip' debate again...

I too am sick to death of people pu$$yfooting around the teminally butthurt and using fictional words to incite fear in an ignorant audience

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #4

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

An old one I wrote and posted a while back.

There is almost always an assumption

There is almost always an assumption that the news media, politicians and want to be important people like sarah brady are ignorant where firearms and rights are concerned. Make no mistake they know what they are doing and they know the correct terminology for everything. Part of the reason they do not use the correct terminology is it does not instill fear, nor sound bad, so they make up names that will cause panic among the less informed.

If we as gun owners and supporters of our rights use the same terminology as the enemy then we are playing right into their hands. Helping to fuel the fires of fear. So we should be using less scary names for what we love.

Do not call it a clip no matter what; call it a magazine unless you are referring to an actual stripper clip.

Do not call it an assault rifle, call it just a rifle.

Do not refer to a rifle as a black rifle or military style rifle. Just refer to them as rifles because that is actually what they are.

Do not refer to carolyn mccarthy’s “thing that folds over the top” as a barrel shroud, but rather call it a Upper Hand Guard

Do not call it a concealed handgun, nor concealed weapon but use the term discreet carry.

Do not call a cartridge a bullet; call it a cartridge, unless you are referring to the actual bullet part of the cartridge.

Do not use the term sniper rifle when talking about any of your rifles, but rather call them target rifles or hunting rifles. (The military and police have sniper rifles not the civilian population.)

Do not use the terminology Spray when talking about full auto weapons, because no gun sprays, only cats, anti-gunners, and garden hoses spray, guns fire, or shoot.

Do not call it a high capacity clip/magazine but refer to them as standard capacity.

Do not call bullets cop killers, because all ammo can kill, cop or not. Just call it ammunition, unless referring to armor piercing ammo.

And do not refer to it as gun rights, but rather call it just rights because owning guns is a right not a privilege.

These are but some of the little things we can do to help fight the fear factor that our enemies try and instill in the common person, and it just might make a deference in gaining a new supporter or losing one to the dark side.

opaww

Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Do not call it a high capacity clip/magazine but refer to them as standard capacity.
Standard capacity is genius. I love it!

Since AR-15's are the most popular rifle sold in America and 30rd magazines are the most common capacity sold.

This AR-15 should be referred to as a common American Civilian Defense Rifle with standard capacity magazine...

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR
TDS92A Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

Liked 2617 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 2537

Libs like to change words for other reasons than fear. They change words to make something bad look better or to try to appear sensitive. They use words to hide an agenda they know people wouldn't accept if they called it what it really is.

1. undocumented aliens = criminals
2. abortion = baby killing
3. inviable tissue mass = baby
4. permit/license/levy = tax
5. little people = dwarf/midget
6. visually impaired = blind
and on and on and on............................

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Marthor, you hit a nerve with me! I've long said words have meaning and we should always strive to use the right words. But more often than not, the general populace seems to have the collective IQ of a monkey wrench and getting them to consider what they're really saying or hearing is a real trick.

For my part, I try (and often fail...mea culpa) to use the right words. When I hear folks messing up, I'll correct 'em on your behalf.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #8

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor
This AR-15 should be referred to as a common American Civilian Defense Rifle with standard capacity magazine...
That there description is amazing!

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

Liked 751 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 832

I see nothing wrong with that terminology....
I have military rifles that use clips, and even a sniper rifle....

(My Arisakas, 1903, etc. are military rifles that use clips, and a MN 91/30 PU, a "sniper" rifle. )

Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Similarly, another term that popped up around the same timeframe is "African-American". A person from Egypt that comes to American isn't an African-American even though they come from Africa, but they aren't black. A black person that comes from Europe to America is an African-American even though they didn't come from Africa. "African-American" is another bogus terminology (coined by Jesse Jackson) that doesn't make any sense but has become in common use like "assault rifle".
My sister had a student or friend at UT in Austin who had an interesting encounter with that term. He worked at a hotel and accidentally upset a customer by referring to the customer as "black". The customer indicated that he STRONGLY preferred the term "african american". The hotel worker explained to the guy that he had recently moved to the U.S. from South Africa and that if there was an "african american" in the room, it was he and not the gentleman with darker skin, blew the guy's mind. Sis got the impression that the former South Africa resident guy was a bit PO'd about the false flaggers.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.