We have ideas what won't work... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > We have ideas what won't work...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I would like to consolidate our answers and submit them as a suggestion to governmment.
Bump!

I am in touch with 2 of my Senators on this issue. Senator Leahy appears to be walking lock step to Obama's drum beat as well as using his committee to forward the gun control agenda. Senator Sears has responded that he will NOT entertain another Assault Weapons ban and want to address the causes of gun violence, not implement reactions to it.

So what say you FTF'rs ... do we have ideas that do/can/will work?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #22

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

I'm only worried about the mentally ill issue. Who would set the standards for mental illness? What if after a super stressful week at work my doctor deems me mentally defunct because I answered her subliminal questions in a subliminally violent manner? Then a week later when I decide to buy a shiny new gun and get a denial what do I do? Can I appeal the process for a wrongful condemnation? What if an actual insane person can appear sane long enough for this appeal process? Yes doctors should decide who's insane but we saw how doctors acted in Nazi Germany.....its a slippery slope is all I'm saying.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #23

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

The single most effective thing we as responsible gun owners can do is recognize that most gun crime is commited with stolen guns and voluntarily exercise 100% POSSITIVE control of our firearms.

Most here with small children already do this because our kids and our investments are both worth protecting.

I understand some folks, especially older folks with no kids, like to stash accessible guns around the house incase of home invasion and this is tactically sound but it does leave many guns avaiable to burgelars or whoever else might come across one.

It's not the crime of passion or even the gang violence that stirs up our opposition. It's the mass shooting and it's the occasional "little kid" who kills themselves or another child with a "found gun".

Do what you need for security but I can tell everyone that a pistol on your hip is much more accessible that 5 or 10 of them placed throughout your home and placing it in a quick access lock box on the night stand while sleeping will prevent any unauthorized use.

Just my .02 cents...be safe

Tack

Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #24

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
How about disposing of criminals period like they used to do back in the old days. I don't mean hanging petty thieves. I mean murderers amd rapists getting shot or hung. Things like that w almost no jail time so therefore less expense for tax payers.
This^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #25

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
I'm only worried about the mentally ill issue. Who would set the standards for mental illness? What if after a super stressful week at work my doctor deems me mentally defunct because I answered her subliminal questions in a subliminally violent manner? Then a week later when I decide to buy a shiny new gun and get a denial what do I do? Can I appeal the process for a wrongful condemnation? What if an actual insane person can appear sane long enough for this appeal process? Yes doctors should decide who's insane but we saw how doctors acted in Nazi Germany.....its a slippery slope is all I'm saying.
I don't think it is a slippery slope at all ... we go with the legal definitions of mentally ill. It is only when Politicians or groups with an agenda who get hold of words and pervert their meaning/intent is where problems occur.

One thing we CANNOT do is nothing! We can't always cry "it's as slippery slope" every time we come across and issue that is hard. So take this opportunity people, list out ideas you feel/think that will work ... that will reduce crime ... that will reduce violence ... that will maintain peoples rights to keep and bear arms.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 01-25-2013 at 06:29 PM.