Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > We had a 44% chance of losing our 2nd Ammendment Rights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is a LONG but interesting read . From the same site Pat-inCO Posted .

http://www.harvard-jlpp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/neily.pdf

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default More on a Supreme Court that would trash our liberties

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
The appointment of Kagan would not of made a deference in this case, because she would be filing the shoes of the Supreme Court's most anti-gun/anti-rights Justice. That being the retiring Justice Stevens. She is not being appointed to replace a Pro-gun/pro-Rights Justice.

So had she been appointed the ruling would of still passed by a 5-4 vote.
My original post was to emphasize two things. One was that we have Supreme Court justices who would deny us our 2nd Amendement rights and the other was that we are only one justice away from adding another, after Kagan, that would result is our losing the argument, and our 2nd Amendment rights. I encourage everyone to read the dissenting justices' opinions. You’ll find things like

“there is no popular consensus that the private self-defense right described in Heller is fundamental” (Breyer opinion, p 9).

“…firearms have a fundamentally ambivalent relationship to liberty” (Stevens opinion, p 35).

The Heller decision claims that the right to self-defense is “the central component” of the right to keep and bear arms but Justice Breyer disagrees and says “In my view, this is the historical equivalent of a claim that water runs uphill” (Breyer opinion, pp. 8-9).

There is more but I didn’t want to go back and dig them all out.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Supreme Court Justices have lost sight of their role just like every other idiot in Washington.
You're right. But unlike the other idiots in Washington, we can't get rid of Supreme Court Justices very easily. However, there is precedent for ousting a Justice. The House would impeach (indict) the person and the Senate would try him or her. If they're found guilty of whatever crime, they're out. Click here for details.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #14

Default These Times...

Perhaps, we need to do our part, as best as humanly possible, to educate and encourage people to excersize their right.
I also believe, attempting to do away with that right may be costly and dangersous for citizens, legal gun owners, gun dealers, and our government.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #15

Default Iron Mountain Report

You have more to worry about than losing your 2nd Amendment Rights. It,s a long video but very clear and informative. I hope some of you will watch it through to it,s end.

Iron Mountain – Blueprint for Tyranny « Dprogram Films