Walgreens = anti CCW, tell them to change! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Walgreens = anti CCW, tell them to change!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderThingThatGoesUp View Post
Why does the word concealed have to tag along with the word carry all the time? Why do people always mention carrying a gun as carrying a concealed weapon? Concealed has a meaning. Why limit the language to concealed when its perfectly legal to open carry in many states?
Being that it's up to the business owner if they are going to allow employees to carry at all, it seems to me that it would be much easier to convince a business to allow concealed carry which implies some sort of permit, possibly training, and out of sight so it's not scaring anti-gun customers away, than convincing them to allow open carry.

I know what you're saying...any restriction = bad, and I agree with you, but you have to pick your battles and words carefully. A business owner who MIGHT possibly consider allowing concealed carry would almost surely not even consider open carry.

And that's why I chose the wording I did.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Once again a guy who has the UNcommon decency to stick his neck out to save someone else's neck pays a penalty for it. Ongoing evidence that "No good deed has ever gone unpunished".

Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #13

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Great Job Jesse,

These campaigns can and do work. Last year Starbucks Coffee "briefly" adopted a "no weapons" policy however, quick opposition from CCW folks across the country caused them to reverse course before most stores received there window decals.

Starbucks decided that sending a percentage of there customers elsewhere was not worth sucking up to a group of smarmy mouthed anti gunners in Seattle.

TACK

Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderThingThatGoesUp View Post
Why does the word concealed have to tag along with the word carry all the time? Why do people always mention carrying a gun as carrying a concealed weapon? Concealed has a meaning. Why limit the language to concealed when its perfectly legal to open carry in many states?
It isn't so much about open carry so much as it is about allowing employees to carry at all. If an employee is going to make a decision to violate company policy and carry a firearm, do you really think they'd carry it openly? That's just ridiculous.

Even if the store were to change its policy about employees carrying guns at work, you can be assured that they wouldn't allow open carry. We're not talking about a gun shop or pawn shop, but a pharmacy. I've seen employees at gun shops carrying openly and some at a few pawn shops, but never anywhere else. Whether it's legal or not is irrelevant, it isn't practical.

The whole point of concealed carry is the element of surprise, if would be robbers know the store policy allows employees to carry and can see whose carrying you can bet they'd be shot right of the bat, just as openly armed security guards or off duty LEOs working security at banks.

The only time I carry openly is in uniform or when I'm driving a patrol car in or out of uniform, i.e. going to a school, training, etc. Open carry is legal in my state, except on private property or in a vehicle. Concealed carry with a permit is okay on private property unless it is posted "No firearms Allowed" and there aren't many places that are posted, but I can guarantee you that if 1/10 people carried openly that more and more businesses would post their property banning firearms.

Let's just face the fact that firearms make some people nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. If they can't see the firearms, they don't get nervous.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Being that it's up to the business owner if they are going to allow employees to carry at all, it seems to me that it would be much easier to convince a business to allow concealed carry which implies some sort of permit, possibly training, and out of sight so it's not scaring anti-gun customers away, than convincing them to allow open carry.

I know what you're saying...any restriction = bad, and I agree with you, but you have to pick your battles and words carefully. A business owner who MIGHT possibly consider allowing concealed carry would almost surely not even consider open carry.

And that's why I chose the wording I did.
^^^ Exactly^^^

Old 06-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Concerning Walgreens,

They did respond per my previous post. With the same old response of it's our corporate policy. And the pharmacist was in violation. They also advised their corporate and law enforcement had advised to do it as they have it set in place. I advised I would agree to a point. But with the proper training program there should be no reason that some designated trained employees could carry for protection of everyone present. They were polite in their response and prompt. I advised them maybe they should review their policy have a training program for example pharmacists, managers and designated employees could carry. This would have the ability to stop an all out shooting rampage by some unstable person shooting in the store. And I advised " God forbid that would ever happen." I also advise them as per recent events the criminal was not always like the criminals of the past who committed a robbery and left once they got what they wanted. And as has been occurring of late. Recently store owners and people have been beaten sometimes to death in simple robberies. And in the future they could possibly be dealing with an individual who is strung out and very violent. And since they dispense drugs that would not be to far fetched regarding a possible incident. In addition most of these people have little if any respect for life! If they even know what is going on! In fact some even getting a high off of the incident. Anyway I am sure it fell on deaf ears.
If you will also notice most all of their stores have removed any and all Gun Magazines!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
It isn't so much about open carry so much as it is about allowing employees to carry at all. If an employee is going to make a decision to violate company policy and carry a firearm, do you really think they'd carry it openly? That's just ridiculous.

Even if the store were to change its policy about employees carrying guns at work, you can be assured that they wouldn't allow open carry. We're not talking about a gun shop or pawn shop, but a pharmacy. I've seen employees at gun shops carrying openly and some at a few pawn shops, but never anywhere else. Whether it's legal or not is irrelevant, it isn't practical.

The whole point of concealed carry is the element of surprise, if would be robbers know the store policy allows employees to carry and can see whose carrying you can bet they'd be shot right of the bat, just as openly armed security guards or off duty LEOs working security at banks.

The only time I carry openly is in uniform or when I'm driving a patrol car in or out of uniform, i.e. going to a school, training, etc. Open carry is legal in my state, except on private property or in a vehicle. Concealed carry with a permit is okay on private property unless it is posted "No firearms Allowed" and there aren't many places that are posted, but I can guarantee you that if 1/10 people carried openly that more and more businesses would post their property banning firearms.

Let's just face the fact that firearms make some people nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. If they can't see the firearms, they don't get nervous.
So I cant exercise my rights because it might scare the sheep? I dont agree with that at all. And by the way, I was referring to letting customers carry in their store, not employees. Sorry if I wasnt clear on that. But I will say, if I was a criminal and I knew a store was staffed with armed employees, Id walk my ass to the next store down the street and rob it. The whole "open carrying will get you shot first" thing is debatable, in my opinion.

Out in the sticks with the squirrels and the ticks and my 30-06

Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That's too bad; i always liked their candy selection. I sent in a enote as well.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.