Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Victory in The United States Supreme Court!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Victory in The United States Supreme Court!

By a vote of 5-4, The United States Supreme Court today ruled that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution guarantees a fundamental, INDIVIDUAL right to keep a firearm in your own home.

Voting with the majority were Chief Justice Roberts, Justice Scalia, Justice Thomas, Justice Kennedy, and Justice Alito, who wrote the opinion. Justices Breyer, Ginsburg, Souter and Stevens voted to uphold D.C.’s complete gun ban.

Buckeye Firearms Foundation, together with a coalition of private security companies, filed an amicus brief in support of Mr. Heller.

With this decision, the Court signaled an unequivocal end to the two-decade legal charade popularly referred to as the "collectivist theory." Your right to possess a firearm in your own home is an individual right and has nothing to do with your role, or lack of role, in any militia.

Prior to today’s decision, the majority of the federal court circuits had utilized the collectivist theory, mostly as a means to uphold criminal convictions for violations of federal firearm laws. Clearly bad facts make bad law, and today’s decision is the reprieve gun owners have been looking for.

But what does the Heller decision mean? The easiest way to answer this question is to look to the question that the Supreme Court asked: Whether the following provisions, D.C. Code §§ 7-2502.02(a)(4), 22-4504(a), and 7-2507.02, violate the Second Amendment rights of individuals who are not affiliated with any state-regulated militia, but who wish to keep handguns and other firearms for private use in their homes?

That is the scope of the decision in a nutshell. People living in D.C. have the right to possess firearms in their own homes, and D.C.’s law, which amounted to a ban, violated that right. However, even though the decision is limited to this specific holding, the Heller case will clearly have nationwide impact in the coming years as it is tested and applied against cities in lawsuits throughout the United States.

Buckeye Firearms Association

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #2

it's a good thing too, and about time a ruling was made on the second amendment since it was written

Old 06-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #3

I know that no one can see me but I just wanted to let everyone know that I am doing my happy dance

Old 06-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well gentlemen - This calls for a small celebration. Tonight I shall be hoisting a frosty mug to Justices Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, Kennedy, and Alito.

This is very good news indeed.....

JD

Old 06-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #5

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I am reading the whole rulling now and it leaves some possable loop holes that the anti-Americans, I mean anti-gunners may be able to use to their advantage

Old 06-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Great news indeed, but the fight is not over. This ruling, as it was designed, is just the first step. Now that we have this ruling that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, we can now go forward with the fight to define "reasonable" restrictions.

Celebrate, by all means, but don't get complacent. The anti gunners are still with us, and they are very well funded and motivated.

Join in the fight, Join the NRA.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 06-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Good news, indeed.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Great news indeed, but the fight is not over.

Celebrate, by all means, but don't get complacent.
Agreed. I said a "small celebration" - merely a battle one, but by no means time to relax and concede the war....

JD

Old 06-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #9

Default good

Great news indeed. I had recently heard from an retired policeman that a city in Illinois had such a ban of any guns. No body knows how they snuck that one in. True? They probably will dig for loopholes.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yep.

I just finished reading the AP wire and stopped by to see what was buzzing here.

It is a small step but at least it's a step in the right direction