Victory For Gun Rights: Halligan goes down to defeat
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Victory For Gun Rights: Halligan goes down to defeat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Default Victory For Gun Rights: Halligan goes down to defeat

email I received today from GOA

-------------------------

Senate Republicans Defeat Anti-gun Obama Court Nominee

Senator Cornyn leads battle
against Veterans Gun Ban

There’s been a lot of gun news this week. Votes in the full Senate. Votes in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The gun battle has finally begun.

But first, we start with an incredible victory.

Halligan goes down to defeat

On Wednesday, Senate Republicans successfully filibustered the nomination of Caitlin Halligan for a seat on the DC Court of Appeals. By a vote of 51-41, all of the Republicans hung tight — except for Senator Lisa Murkowski who voted for the anti-gun, liberal Halligan. (Alaska, she needs to hear from you!)

There was a barrage of grassroots’ opposition against Halligan, and people in the media took notice of your action following the vote on Wednesday:

* Watchdog.org reported that, "Gun Owners of America led the attack" against Halligan.

* Politico said that “Gun Owners of America [called] Halligan ‘one of the most anti-gun judicial nominees in recent memory.’”

* And Roll Call reported that, “Senate GOP leaders circulated an email highlighting the view of the GOA and other critics.”

So thank you all for generous support which helps GOA to keep fighting the fight!

And thank you for your hard work and exercising your citizenship duties by communicating with your Senators. It has paid off once again. Well done!

Defeat of Veterans Gun Ban now within reach

The Senate Judiciary Committee took up the subject of gun control on Thursday and passed S. 54, the Veterans Gun Ban, a bill which now moves to the Senate floor.

Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) spoke for all gun owners when he vigorously opposed the bill in committee, explaining that:

This bill would make it a serious felony [up to 15 years in prison] for an American Legion employee to negligently transfer a raffled firearm to a veteran who unknown to the transferor suffers from PTSD. — Senator John Cornyn (R-TX)

The committee adjourned without finishing its business, and it will reconvene later to take up several more gun bills. But the good news in all of this is that the Republican opposition was virtually united, thus making a filibuster on the Senate floor very achievable.

Although this legislative pile of bunk is wrapped up in a pretty package labeled “gun trafficking” (which is already illegal), the bill would (at its core) send you to prison for 15 years if you:

- Negligently sold two or more guns;
- Negligently gave a gun as a gift;
- Negligently raffled a gun.

What do we mean by “negligence”? Well, 150,000 law-abiding veterans are currently barred from owning firearms, without any due process of law. And any person who smokes marijuana — including medical marijuana — is prohibited from owning a firearm under 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(3).

So, if you sell a gun to any of these people, without realizing that they are subject to a gun ban, you can go to prison for 15 years.

Anti-gun Chairman Patrick Leahy did everything he could to cut off debate on S. 54 — showing clear irritation at any senator who dared to raise questions with respect to its provisions.

That said, seven of the eight Republicans on the committee voted against S. 54, the Veterans Gun Ban — Senators Jeff Sessions (AL), Jeff Flake (AZ), Lindsey Graham (SC), John Cornyn (TX), Ted Cruz (TX), Orrin Hatch (UT) and Mike Lee (UT). They all deserve your support and thanks.

And the eighth, Ranking Republican Chuck Grassley, left open the possibility that he would vote against it on the floor unless it was amended.

Again, we thank you for standing with us. Please be generous and help GOA to continue fighting for your gun rights

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1014 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Hope the defeats continue!

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The assault will not only continue, it will intensify as the leftists become more desperate to disarm us. Stay vigilant.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

John Cornyn (TX) and Ted Cruz (TX) have revived the Texas flame that is burning in my PROUD Texas heart!!! Keep up the great work senators and lets lead America towards liberty, Texas at the front of the pack.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

CA357 Likes This 
Old 03-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #5

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Proud of my senators!!! Lets keep the pressure on.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #6

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I got this email to, it put a smile on my face.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

CA357 Likes This