Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Victim sues gun maker, distributor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Victim sues gun maker, distributor

Court: Shooting Victim Can Sue Gun Maker, Distributor
Saturday, 06 Oct 2012 12:01 AM

A Buffalo man who was shot nearly a decade ago can sue the manufacturer, the distributor and the dealer of the semi-automatic pistol used to shoot him, a New York state appeals court ruled on Friday.

Attorneys for Daniel Williams, who was shot in 2003 when he was in high school, argued that Ohio-based manufacturer Beemiller and the distributor, MKS Supply, violated federal law by knowingly supplying guns to irresponsible dealers.

The defendants said they cannot be sued because of the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, a 2005 law that shields firearm manufacturers and sellers from liability for harm caused by the criminal misuse of their non-defective products.

A unanimous panel of the Appellate Division, Fourth Department, on Friday reversed a 2011 ruling that threw out the case against the defendants — Beemiller, MKS Supply and gun dealer Charles Brown, who sold the guns to James Bostic, a Buffalo resident accused of running a trafficking scheme that funneled guns into the black market in New York.

The decision reinstates the case.

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which is representing Williams, claims Bostic is a convicted felon and is barred from purchasing guns, according to the ruling.

The center said Bostic traveled to Ohio, which does not require a license to buy a gun, to procure a large numbers of handguns, including the pistol used to shoot Williams, the ruling said.

"Although the complaint does not specify the statutes allegedly violated, it sufficiently alleges facts supporting a finding that defendants knowingly violated federal gun laws," Justice Erin Peradotto wrote for the court.

Jeffrey Malsch, a lawyer for MKS, said he is reviewing the decision.

"We believe (the lower court's ruling) was a courageous and legally correct decision, but the Fourth Department was unwilling to follow his well reasoned opinion," he said. "Whether we appeal or not, we are confident that ultimately the facts will contradict the baseless allegations in the complaint and the case will be dismissed."

Attorneys for Williams and the remaining defendants did not immediately return requests for comment.

© 2012 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #2

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

so that means its good to go for a violent crime victim to sue the sht out of the brady center for preventing them from carrying a firearm that would have prevented their injuries...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #3

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

great news ... now I can sue the SBC for my work accident back in 98'!

After all, it was their guidelines that permitted for the use of stapling of truss components rather than gussets that were a direct result in my falling 24' through a roof onto a concrete slab!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #4

Liked 7550 Times on 3286 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

THAT decision will be overturned on appeal. It is directly contrary to law- a law that was passed for this very reason. Comparable to suing Ford because they built a car used by a drunk driver who ran into someone.

15 U.S.C. §§ 7901-7903.

The law flatly orders pending cases to be dismissed, and bars filing further cases.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #5

Likes Given: 1

And how many does the U.S. Firearms industry provide our economy with much needed jobs?

I doubt this new decision will go forward.

Heck Mexico tried in 2011: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_162-20056210-10391695.html

Good thing the The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act still had bearing.

Plus this is in New York where firearms have been a bane.

Sort of odd since without them some 200+ years ago, New York might've been part of the United Kington...

Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

Liked 890 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Court: Shooting Victim Can Sue Gun Maker, Distributor

The center said Bostic traveled to Ohio, which does not require a license to buy a gun, to procure a large numbers of handguns, including the pistol used to shoot Williams, the ruling said.
So...if the state does not require a license there was no crime selling the guns to Bostic. Who do you sue now?

Quote:
"Although the complaint does not specify the statutes allegedly violated..."
Of course it doesn't because the manufacturer and dealer did not violate any statutes. Once again, the Brady bunch grasping at a feeble straw.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #7

Liked 4718 Times on 2693 Posts
Likes Given: 3735

The "Brady Bunch" hasc long preached that lawsuits should be filed over [B]EVERY[/B shooting. Their reasonig is that even though they will lose these suits, if enough of them are filed, they can bankrupt small dealers with legal fee defending agasint them.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Ohio and New York both use the FBI for NICS checks. It is true you don't need a permit to purchase a handgun in Ohio.

If this guy was a felon and the gun dealer did not have him fill out a 4473 and run a NICS check and find that out, that's legitimately on the seller - he broke federal law. I don't know what Ohio state law says about selling to out-of-staters. Many states won't permit handgun sales to non-residents.

However, if a 4473 was filled out, a NICS check was run and the go-ahead was given then that's on the FBI and not the dealer.

I can see no reason to sue the gun manufacturer; that's just leftist gun-grabbing crap.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #9

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I understand this one? Federal Law prohibites the direct sales of a handgun in every state to nonresidents. A nonresident would have to have an FFL or have the gun transfered via an FFL to his home state. This is a play on words no permit needed in Ohio to buy a firearm? The Brady group is pushing the Ill. "FOID" card idea again. They want laws in every state making guns and ammo buyers carry a state issued ID. Beemiller of course is Hi-Point so they make an easy target for Brady.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The suit will get shot down like a crow flying over BBQ/dove hunt. The Brady bunch is wasting their resources on this case. How many times can you sue over the same case? Hi Point has cash to deal with this suit like buying bug spray. Other gun makers will support Hi Point under the table. They don't need any precedent for law suits.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/