Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Veterans are receiving letters from VA prohibiting the ownership or purchase firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1943 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 2889

Quote:
I'll call B.S.

I'm A veteran and know many veterans and I have not heard of any of these going around.
Bingo!! It is BS.

i'm a disabled veteran rated at 80 percent: 100 percent of my medical care comes from the VA. i know dozens of veterans with PTSD, TBI and numerous other ailments. Some of them are nuttier than a fruitcake. None of them have ever gotten such a letter from the VA. None of them have ever been asked if they own guns by VA doctors.

Yesterday and today i have spent hours attempting to de-bunk this BS on four other sites. This BS has been making the rounds of the web for years. About every 3-6 months there is another outbreak because some self serving idiot is trying to score political points with veterans or just stir up crap.

Any idiot can jump on the web, claim to be a distinguished lawyer, judge, expert or sexual intellectual. He can then drone on about all kinds of conspiracy crap.

The reporting of "incompetent" veterans to the FBI began when the Clinton VA gave the FBI names of tens of thousands of vets who were deemed incompetent to handle their own affairs. General Shinseki, who runs the VA, says they no longer do this.

It involves veterans who are deemed by the VA to be incompetent to handle their own affairs and where a fiduciary (trustee) has been appointed.

The guys at this website are combat veterans. They are staunch advocates for veterans and their rights:

Quote:
If anyone knows ANY VETERAN who has been adjudicated as incompetant to handle his fiduciary stuff, but who isn’t absolytely BAT**** crazy (and/or) who hasn’t threatened to kill themselves or others, than contact us. Seriously. I looked for months and months, and never found one. I’d find someone who was almost perfect, and then we’d find out how he threatened to kill his mom or himself. If you know an actual person that shouldn’t have had this happen, JUST CONTACT US.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=34265
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 461

I have to agree with ALSQR on this matter. I am a veteran myself and I help other veterans get to the VA when they need medical care. I also help them wrangle the maze of paper work that the VA produces for every sick veteran. I have never seen any letters such as the one posted in this thread. I am not saying the letter doesn't exist. I am saying that it is not widespread. One of the thresholds for competency is being able to handle your financial affairs. Many conditions that render one incapable of handling their financial affairs would prevent one from buying a firearm. Veterans RKBA are not being violated on a wide scale.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

when i see it ; i'll believe it ? until then it,s another rumor !

Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #24

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

It's a movement at VA and the law, technically, if someone wants to interpret it that way as I understand it, and a bigtime veteran's advocate suppports it. He says that if the gov't has to put someone in charge of your financial affairs they can't expect you to be competent enough to have a firearm. It is a measure of mental capacity. Maybe they're right, I dunno.

How far gone does somebody have to be to not be able to pay a bill and have someone else take that over for them? Enough not to have a gun either!?

The actual news:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/22/is-the-veterans-affairs-dept-trying-to-preventing-some-vets-from-owning-guns/

Last edited by HockaLouis; 02-25-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #25
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1343 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 989

My BS detector also going off on this. You have to be VERY f*cked up for them to determine mental incompetency. And I don't mean PTSD. PTSD doesn't mean a person is a dangerous lunatic. People who survive bad car crashes or house fires can have PTSD.

NRA Life

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 02-25-2013 at 02:49 PM.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Have not received anything of the sort from my VA. But they have been slightly nudging me into a psychiatric interview with a on-site psychiatrist. Don't know why? But I refused each time. Don't want to even have on my record I had seen one (I don't believe in them anyway), as that might reflect negatively on my CCW.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 999 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 312

So we allow this practice and we label the VA as gun grabbers.

So we don't allow this practice and someone who is clearly insane and it's documented by the VA goes and buys a gun and kills a bunch of people and we label the VA as evil for allowing this known crazy to walk among us.

They can't win.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #28

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hey guys I am a member of three veteran groups, and at one was a volunteer for many years at the local 400 bed VA Hospital that provides medical care to over 240, 000 patient visits per year. Never heard of any action to remove the rights of the law abiding veteran because of PTSD or any other medical problems. With that said I am sure that a very small percentage that have, as many civilians have, lost their rights because of violations of the law.
Before the Vietnam conflict, WWl, WWll and Korea, PTSD was referred to as "Shell Shocked".

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The vast majority of vets who are "incomptent" to manage their own affairs have asked to have a guardian appointed. The guardian is normally a family member, sometimes a friend.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
My BS detector also going off on this. You have to be VERY f*cked up for them to determine mental incompetency. And I don't mean PTSD. PTSD doesn't mean a person is a dangerous lunatic. People who survive bad car crashes or house fires can have PTSD.
My BS meter pegged out the first time i read this trash.

Tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of vets have PTSD. i know numerous vets with TBI/PTSD: Some are crazier than loons. None have been declared incompetent by the VA.

BTW: i would rather believe the veterans advocates for the DAV, the American Legion and the VFW than some ambulance chaser who prints a hit piece on a website that is notorious for misinformation, exaggerations and lies. The fact that the DAV, VFW, Vietnam Vets, and all the other veterans organizations are not all over this thing should tell us something.