Veterans medical evaluation - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Veterans medical evaluation

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,495
Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Oh they do ask the question. They just don't make a judgement on your mental competence unless or until you see an actual head shrinker. And unless you exhibit some mental deficiency that requires them to take physical control over you (such as a suicide attempt) to keep yourself and others around you safe, then they can't force you to see a head shrinker. . . .
It goes sort of like this:

Do you have suicidal thoughts? (Do you have the interest?) If yes;
Have you made a plan? (Is it more than an idle or passing thought?) If yes;
Do you have the gun, pills, rope, etc. available (Do you have the means?)

My response(s) depend on what the answers are.
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"
Vincine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Your the one asking the questions right? Aren't you a nurse?

Personally, I've thought of suicide, but I have no desire. Its more along the lines of "what the hell are people thinking" and then "damn that would make a mess for my wife to clean up"

I guess I can feel nonchalant about it because I don't fear death (never said I WANT to die though) I am, however, completely terrified of being injured and living as an invalid even for a short time. When I got a hernia on the job and it took me 4 months to get it fixed and then recover, those were the worst 4 months of my life, and it wasn't even all that debilitating, I just wasn't allowed to lift anything over 5 pounds.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,495
Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Default

I'm an RN. I'm doing Case Management for the Office for the Aging.
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"
Vincine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I'm an RN. I'm doing Case Management for the Office for the Aging.
I thought I remembered something like that, thank you for what you do.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 7,298
Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Oh they do ask the question. They just don't make a judgement on your mental competence unless or until you see an actual head shrinker. And unless you exhibit some mental deficiency that requires them to take physical control over you (such as a suicide attempt) to keep yourself and others around you safe, then they can't force you to see a head shrinker.

They ask me if I'm suicidal every time I talk to them.
Yes, I think they asked me that too. I would not have been there if I felt suicidal.
__________________
Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.
JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

I once went in to my doc (non military) because I was having trouble sleeping. He said depression causes that and asked me if I ever thought about suicide. I replied that I think of it every time I hear about somebody doing it, but I never have thought of doing it myself outside of the "What if?" questions. In hindsight I should not have been so honest.

Glad to hear it is urban legend. But at the same time it is probably best not to answer too honestly, but if you are at all suicidal please, by God, do be honest about it! They can help you but only if they know you need help.

PTSD is nothing to be ashamed of nor is it something one can work out on their own. It is quite serious in all cases.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stoppingpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 379
Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default

I've wondered about PTSD.. why is it pretty unheard of for past war veterans? Like American Revolution for example. I don't know maybe I haven't really looked into it

Wyoming is what America was
stoppingpower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

I think PTSD has always been around in one form or another. There is no way a mind can go through those kinds of experiences and not come out unscathed. In WWII they called in shell shocked. I think before that (like as far back as the revolution and Civil War) they just dealt with it.

Society has changed, these days it seems like everyone is encouraged to be a victim. While PTSD is a very real problem, and can be very debilitating, back in the day the men affected by it would just deal with it however they could. Just like today, this could mean turning to drugs or alcohol, becoming violent, turning to a life of crime, or they could pour their lives into church and family there by dealing with their problems in a positive way.

Long story short, I'm sure it's always been around, you just hear about it more nowadays.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stoppingpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 379
Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I think PTSD has always been around in one form or another. There is no way a mind can go through those kinds of experiences and not come out unscathed. In WWII they called in shell shocked. I think before that (like as far back as the revolution and Civil War) they just dealt with it.

Society has changed, these days it seems like everyone is encouraged to be a victim. While PTSD is a very real problem, and can be very debilitating, back in the day the men affected by it would just deal with it however they could. Just like today, this could mean turning to drugs or alcohol, becoming violent, turning to a life of crime, or they could pour their lives into church and family there by dealing with their problems in a positive way.

Long story short, I'm sure it's always been around, you just hear about it more nowadays.
Oh snap I forgot about shell shock.. I've heard storys of when ww2 vets returned home for the first time they would hear a load noise and hit the ground just outta reaction... I can see how seeing so much choas like that can really screw with a guys head.

Wyoming is what America was
stoppingpower is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Oh snap I forgot about shell shock.. I've heard storys of when ww2 vets returned home for the first time they would hear a load noise and hit the ground just outta reaction... I can see how seeing so much choas like that can really screw with a guys head.

Wyoming is what America was
I'm sure it was the same for previous generations too, but communications just weren't the same. Consider this, Vietnam was considered the first "televised" war, that was the sixties. Back before WWII, the stories just didn't get out there the way they do now.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Medical supplies Gus556 Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 10 07-29-2011 05:12 PM
NRA Supports Frivolous Microstamping, Evaluation Study Act Bigcountry02 Legal and Activism 2 09-27-2010 09:40 PM
Give yourself a psychological evaluation Shihan The Club House 11 12-21-2009 01:59 PM
Beretta Cougar Evaluation & Range Report CA357 Range Report 13 06-30-2009 07:20 PM



Newest Threads