Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Veterans Disarmament Act on its way to the President

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

There should be a provision to the bill though that allows the mentally ill to be medically cleared and allowed to posses firearms once the problem has cleared.
But Matt, that is the issue. Once the right is gone, it is beyond the means of most to try and get it back. I agree with you, some should not have access due to mental illness. However, PTSD is covered under this new round of bullsh**. Guys that seek help for nightmares, flashbacks etc. Pretty common in todays fight. A guy goes in for help, gets diagnosed with PTSD and poof, no more skeet shooting for him. This is a step backwards, I can't believe that the NRA would support this KRAP.
Just hide and watch gents, everything that happens with regard to soci****** happens first in the military; has always been the proving ground before spreading to greater society. Scary stuff.

God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #12

This might be a little late, but please add a D or R with a member of congress name when posting. I may have contributed funds to that particular character and therefore, he or she will have to give an ear or the cash flow diverts from them. thanks, I am familiar with my three HONORABLES
in congress but not every one else. Of, course we all recognize Senator Joseph Stalin Schumer. Will the new york people please explain to me how they have kept these two. Hillary and Charles, in congress so long.

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #13

As a veteran of OIFII I suffer from nightmares that disrupt my sleep on a nightly basis. I also get uncomfortable when in large crowds. I recieve disability for this because it is something that disrupts my life due to combat. I don't feel that this makes me a danger to others with or without a firearm. I think there are others who suffer other symptoms of ptsd who could be dangerous. So this should be decided on a case by case basis. By who? I don't know but definitely not the government.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIFIIVeteran1ID View Post
As a veteran of OIFII I suffer from nightmares that disrupt my sleep on a nightly basis. I also get uncomfortable when in large crowds. I recieve disability for this because it is something that disrupts my life due to combat. I don't feel that this makes me a danger to others with or without a firearm. I think there are others who suffer other symptoms of ptsd who could be dangerous. So this should be decided on a case by case basis. By who? I don't know but definitely not the government.
Government has already made its decision. My advice is "Don't sell your guns".

Member GCO

Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIFIIVeteran1ID View Post
I had similar problems, only I would have psychotic episodes when those things would happen. There were a few times that I woke up from nightmares and I grabbed a light, locked and loaded and cleared the house, as well as swept the parking lot. I have extensive training in handling firearms and have the muscle memory to identify a target before engaging. Many people don't have this training. I would also experience episodes, when awake, where I could hear people in close proximity to me. I could feel them closing down on me and the panic and emotions associated with being "compromised" would set in. This would lead me to arm myself and seek a defensible position.

I see nothing wrong with taking weapons out of the hands of people who are a danger to themselves or others, but only until they can prove themselves trustworthy again. I base this opinion on my own personal experience and not what someone else tells me to think or feel. It isn't a "liberal opinion" or an "anti-gun opinion". It is a opinion that has been formed out of my own personal experience and observation.

Last edited by matt g; 12-29-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #16

A possible back-lash of this is that people who might need help will be even more hesitant to get it.

You'll want to avoid any reference on your record that might hurt you.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
A possible back-lash of this is that people who might need help will be even more hesitant to get it.

You'll want to avoid any reference on your record that might hurt you.
Doesn't the system already work that way though? I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but in Cali, we have what is know as Form 5150. Once you have been declared a public danger by some doctor, regardless of area of specialization, and Form 5150 has been filed on you, you no longer have any rights. The only thing required is a doctor to declare that "you could be a danger as a result of a mental disorder," not that you display behaviors linked to a mental disorder.

So, if I was to seek treatment for my PTSD and resulting psychosis, I could be forced into hospitalization if I were to explain my actions during these episodes. I knew this to be true when I sought treatment and, in the interest of my own freedom, neglected to inform my psychiatrist of my actions during the episodes. I only told them of what I experienced.

Last edited by matt g; 12-29-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #18

You Veterans with PTSD are the victims. They got you coming and going. It is not your fault you have to live with this illness. It is the fault of those in political office who gave you this illness and, in turn, punish you for it. They have to be held accountable.

Member GCO

Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not a victim of anything Chuck. My problems are a direct result of my actions. No one held a gun to my head when I signed up to go into the army, it was done of my own accord. I knew good and well what the army was there for when I chose to become part of it.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #20

Default Veterans Disarmament Act on its way to the President

What is more dangerous a Veteran that is under treatment or a Veteran that has problems but won't seek treatment because of Loosing his rights?