VA says it won’t follow New York gun law
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > VA says it won’t follow New York gun law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2003 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 4220

Default VA says it won’t follow New York gun law

Veterans Affairs says it won’t follow New York gun law!

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2013/03/ap-veterans-affairs-says-it-wont-follow-new-york-gun-law-031113/

ALBANY, N.Y. — The federal Department of Veterans Affairs says its mental health professionals won’t comply with a new gun law in New York that requires them to report the names of patients they believe likely to hurt themselves or others.

The reporting provision is set to take effect Saturday.

Several veterans and their advocates say it would deter many from seeking counseling and medications to deal with post-traumatic stress disorder or other psychological issues. Veterans fear their rights would be taken away.

Under the law pushed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the information would be used to determine whether someone should give up a gun license or weapon.

VA spokesman Mark Ballesteros says federal laws protecting veterans’ treatment records take precedence.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #2

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Not only does federal law take precedence, I would venture to say a document called the constitution takes precedence as well. I've worked in the mental health field at a psychiatric correctional hospital and they would encourage patients to speak their mind. Not to get them in trouble, but to get their feelings out.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

I agree completely . However we can not cry for states rights and more precedent for states rights over federal law and statute and then say fed law is above state law.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Troll Scout
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1137 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
I agree completely . However we can not cry for states rights and more precedent for states rights over federal law and statute and then say fed law is above state law.
Good point, either way they will have their will obliged. The litigation on all the new gun laws is going to be mind numbing over next several years.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9387 Times on 4048 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Quote:
fed law is above state law
It is a bit more complex than that. The US Constitution is intended to be the Supreme Law of the land- followed by the state constitutions.

If you passed a state law that homeowners could be required to billet members of the State National Guard in their homes, reinstating being hanged, drawn and quartered, re-establishing slavery, requiring US Senators from that state to be selected by the state legislature, and not popular vote-

then Fed IS going to be above State law.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Just to be devils advocate here...

I kinda have a hard time with people currently being treated with psychotropic medication being allowed access to firearms.

I think there is some merit to looking at a way to get folks onto the no buy list that really are a credible threat to others. It wasnt to long ago when a lot of us here were blasting conneticut officials and colorado officials an arizona officials for not getting info on lanza holmes luaghner into the nics system.

Then there is the case of chris kyle getting murdered by a ptsd person who prolly should have been on a nics list.

I just think the issue runs deeper than a flat out its my right mantra or you cant have guns at all insanity. Something does need to be done but i truly dont think politicians have the intelligence or wisdom to solve it.

For now our best effort is to encourge people to carry and to campaign for removing all "gun free zones"

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-12-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Vincine Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Troll Scout
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1137 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
I kinda have a hard time with people currently being treated with psychotropic medication being allowed access to firearms.
If that door does open the govt. will bludgeon a massive portion of the population. The pill pushers that prescribe psychotropic drugs can compile a list in short order, confidentiality is going away with Obamacare.

There is no doubt thay some shouldn't have access to a butter knife but using the the drugs as a marker would be an ugly mess for a ton of folks.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #8

Liked 1838 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Just to be devils advocate here...etc.
Rational thought?! What’re you? Nuts?!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNGMSTR View Post
If that door does open the govt. will bludgeon a massive portion of the population. The pill pushers that prescribe psychotropic drugs can compile a list in short order, confidentiality is going away with Obamacare.

There is no doubt thay some shouldn't have access to a butter knife but using the the drugs as a marker would be an ugly mess for a ton of folks.
It makes me queezy either way. I dont like the thought of governments and lists but psycho meds are more likely to make conditions worse being used the way they are.

Its a difficult thing as doctors as a group are against civil rights and so is the government.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6309 Times on 3534 Posts
Likes Given: 5895

Quote:
Originally Posted by leam23 View Post

Federal law does trump state law.

That question was settled once and for all time 150 years ago by Mr. Lincoln's "War of Northern Aggression."

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz