Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > VA - buying a gun and transfering within family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default VA - buying a gun and transfering within family

I have been through the VA gun laws and haven't been able to find anything this specific. I am 20 years old. If one of my parents were to buy a handgun now, could they just give it to me when I turn 21?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

If both you and your family live in Virginia, and you are not prohibited by law from owning a firearm, yes. Virginia (along with most of the US) does not have registration of ordinary firearms.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

+1 to c3, they can actually give it to you before you are 21. You can legally own a handgun at 18. You just cant legally buy it. So if you parents buy it they can give it to you now. However I would make a bill of sale saying that they gave it to you on the date that it occurred and for how much. If they give it to you then put as a gift. This way you are both protected. If you parents ever get mad at you they cannot claim that its stolen, and if it ever is involved in a shooting, they are covered that it is now in your possession.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The reason you cannot find anything specific is because in Virginia the laws don't allow us to do things, they specifically prohibit certain activities. If something isn't prohibited or regulated, it is perfectly legal.

Here is the relevent law:

Quote:
§ 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.
This section shall not apply to:
1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;
2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;
3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and
4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.
You can posses a handgun at age 18, but you cannot purchase one from a licensed dealer until age 21. That basically limits you receiving one as a gift or buying in a private party sale. There is a message board called Virginia Gun Trader where Virginian's list firearms for sale/trade.

You also cannot obtain a concealed handgun permit until you are 21, which limits you to carrying openly (which plenty of folks in Virginia do).

This page, though anti-gun, has a very thorough explanation of Virginia's firearms laws:

Legal Community Against Violence

Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

where do you conclude that you can own a handgun once your 18 as long as you didn't purchase it. The section you quoted says it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess a handgun.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
You can legally own a handgun at 18. You just cant legally buy it.
WRONG.

AT 18, you can buy handguns 24 hours a day. What you cannot purchase is a handgun from a federally licensed dealer.

Private purchases are entirely legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
where do you conclude that you can own a handgun once your 18 as long as you didn't purchase it. The section you quoted says it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess a handgun.
From the cited information, it clearly states 18.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 01-05-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
WRONG.

AT 18, you can buy handguns 24 hours a day. What you cannot purchase is a handgun from a federally licensed dealer.

haha I'm such an idiot. I should probably read things more thoroughly.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
WRONG.

Sorry I left out legally buy it from a licensed dealer. Your right, private party sales are perfectly legal 18+. Sorry I worded that wrong. Thank you for correcting my wording.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Come on guys;

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cane brings up a valid point, make the OP find out through the proper avenues. Not trying to be a hyprocrate Cane, after thought, you brought up a good point.