Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Utah new gun law!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Fan View Post
Coming in late & admittedly only reading the highlights of this thread, I believe this thread has possibly morphed into two Utah bills representing two different issues. I can only find one bill that may be regarding the Newgate (correct spelling) Mall guy, here....
http://le.utah.gov/~2013/bills/hbillint/hb0268.htm
I haven't followed it & don't know where it ended.

However, the bill that did have many people's undies in a knot was HB76.
http://le.utah.gov/~2013/bills/hbillint/hb0076.htm
The news of that day...
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=757&sid=24500945
This bill stated that constitutionally, citizens should be allowed to carry whatever they want, concealed or not. The Governor shot it down, and after much deliberation with the voices on each of my shoulders, I think he was right. I also think that the proponents of this bill were probably assuming that he would veto it, because it was so obviously ridiculous.

I believe the only reason it got as much speed as it did was merely for the political capital it could achieve in the next election. You see, "since I was in favor of this bill, I am FOR the gun owners of Utah" (imaginary soap box inserted here).
I haven't heard more on this since the veto, and I bet I probably won't. Hence, my guess is that this whole thing was merely political posturing & damn if I'm gonna vote for any one of these fools next election season! Political posturing disgusts me to the core.
So wait. You support laws requiring you apply for permission and have a permit to carry a gun, as if you were some sort of sex offender? Why?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 04-09-2013 at 03:50 AM.
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #102

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I think you complain too much. Check the wind velocity tonight it is 80 miles an hour in Northern Utah and 27 Mph in SW Wyoming. A year ago it was 101 MPH in Northern Utah and 16 MPH in SW Wyoming. Are you sure it was not the back draft from 18 wheelers you were feeling?

Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #103

I am like tCan. Why would a gun owner want to see a Constitutional carry bill supported by most citizens vetoed?? What was so ridiculousness about this Bill?? I know the Teachers Union and some powerful Relgious leaders opposed the rights of the Utah citizens.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #104

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
So wait. You support laws requiring you apply for permission and have a permit to carry a gun, as if you were some sort of sex offender? Why?
Sex offender?? WTF?
How about we try to differentiate banging little children and gun ownership here. What a GD idiotic remark.
No I don't support banging little kids...You??

I do support the idea that not every useful idiot (I.E. mental reject with an agenda) with a "right to carry whatever I want concealed" will be given the right to do so.
To you and me (presumably sane individuals)...(with sane rationale), you and I can discerne between a legitimate legal threat and one that looks like MOWING DOWN A BUNCH OF INNOCENTS!!

No, not every individual out there in the public should be allowed to carry concealed without at least a basic background check. Utah's background check so far has been very basic & not very intruding into my personal space. I don't mind it that way one little bit...so far.

Last edited by Charger Fan; 04-09-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #105

Quote:
Sex offender?? WTF?
How about we try to differentiate banging little children and gun ownership here. What a GD idiotic remark.
No I don't support banging little kids...You??

I do support the idea that not every useful idiot (I.E. mental reject with an agenda) with a "right to carry whatever I want concealed" will be given the right to do so.
To you and me (presumably sane individuals)...(with sane rationale), you and I can discerne between a legitimate legal threat and one that looks like MOWING DOWN A BUNCH OF INNOCENTS!!

No, not every individual out there in the public should be allowed to carry concealed without at least a basic background check. Utah's background check so far has been very basic & not very intruding into my personal space. I don't mind it that way one little bit...so far.
Then your principles are compromised. If you can't accept the consequences of liberty for others, then you need none for yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. All that jazz.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #106

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Then your principles are compromised. If you can't accept the consequences of liberty for others, then you need none for yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. All that jazz.
Okay, Mr. Charlotte NC...tomorrow, or sometime next week, throw an AR15 over your shoulder & go buy panties for your Mrs from...let's say North Park Mall, or maybe even Southpark Mall, they are within bus distance of each other, because you probably don't own a bike or car...

And don't forget to post a local NC media link showing how you fared...

Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #107

Quote:
Okay, Mr. Charlotte NC...tomorrow, or sometime next week, throw an AR15 over your shoulder & go buy panties for your Mrs from...let's say North Park Mall, or maybe even Southpark Mall, they are within bus distance of each other, because you probably don't own a bike or car...

And don't forget to post a local NC media link showing how you fared...
Been there, done that. Several times. I will be defending myself in court against the tyrannical, abusive, and usurpatious police state in one week... for the second time.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 04-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #108

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Been there, done that. Several times. I will be defending myself in court against the tyrannical, abusive, and usurpatious police state in one week... for the second time.
Why do I not believe you? Can't put my finger on it, but something just sez armchair jockey here...
Should you post any redacted photos of an affidavit or equivocal paperwork to further cement your legal troubles in this matter, would surely enhance your perceived rhetoric in this thread.
But I have my reservations.
Tag, ...

Last edited by Charger Fan; 04-09-2013 at 05:01 AM.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #109

I am a certified handgun Inst. for a number of states including Utah. There is no special back ground checks required by the Utah law that identifies mental illness when applying for a CCW. The standard BG that is used for buying a firearm is all that is used. There are no statistics showing that concealed carry violations are less in Utah then its neighboring states. Arizona and Wyoming border on Utah. Both of these states are constitutional carry states. These states do not require back ground checks or license to carry.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #110

Quote:
Why do I not believe you? Can't put my finger on it, but something just sez armchair jockey here...
Should you post any redacted photos of an affidavit or equivocal paperwork to further cement your legal troubles in this matter, would surely enhance your perceived rhetoric in this thread.
But I have my reservations.
Tag, ...
PM sent with proof. Awaiting your apology.

My court date is April 17. You can show up and say hello if you'd like. Mecklenburg County Courthouse. Bottom floor.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 04-09-2013 at 05:44 AM.