Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > US Circuit Court Ruling in Embody vs Ward

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1948 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 2895

Default US Circuit Court Ruling in Embody vs Ward

Anyone remember Leonard Embody, the TN guy who carried the Draco in a public park while dressed in camo? Embody painted the muzzle of the gun orange to keep the cops from shooting him. Back in July The US Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Embody.

http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/12a0293p-06.pdf

i liked this statement by the court:

Quote:
Having worked hard to appear suspicious in an armed-and-loaded visit to the park, Embody cannot cry foul after park rangers, to say nothing of passers-by, took the bait.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

God knows I am not the sharpest legal mind of this lot, but I am confused.

So he dresses up like a soldier/militia guy and goes to the park with an AK-47 clone that is 1/2" under the legal limit to qualify as a pistol, strapped across his chest.

He paints the tip orange to avoid being shot, or to make it appear as if he is harmless or perhaps lost from his paintball/airsoft clique'

He brought recording equipment along, presumably to obtain evidence to be used in court once his bait worked and he was confronted about having an assault "rifle" in his possession

And then the Supreme Court said "No, you were an idiot and you get nothing, good day sir."

Does that about sum this up?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #3

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

God knows I am not the sharpest legal mind of this lot, but I am confused.

So he dresses up like a soldier/militia guy and goes to the park with an AK-47 clone that is 1/2" under the legal limit to qualify as a pistol, strapped across his chest.

He paints the tip orange to avoid being shot, or to make it appear as if he is harmless or perhaps lost from his paintball/airsoft clique'

He brought recording equipment along, presumably to obtain evidence to be used in court once his bait worked and he was confronted about having an assault "rifle" in his possession

And then the Supreme Court said "No, you were an idiot and you get nothing, good day sir."

Does that about sum this up?
Sounds about right.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Sounds about right.
So. Yay for the right decision. But how about a big fat legal bill for jackass taking up the court's time that could be better spent on a real case?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

Quote:

So. Yay for the right decision. But how about a big fat legal bill for jackass taking up the court's time that could be better spent on a real case?
No objection here. I have always thought the looser in a legal battle should incur all costs, including the winners, as a part of the punishment/repremend.

Would also cull some frivelous (sp?) law suites...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 08-30-2012 at 08:06 PM.
levelcross Likes This 
Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

That sad part is this guy is a class III dealer! He is in a forum for dealers only and they guy is a nut job. I don't think he got enough attention as a kid. Take a look at his site's terms http://www.kwikrnu.com/terms.htm

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 08-30-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #7

I don't know about in every case, but in one like this, hell yeah! He deserves to spend the rest of his life paying the costs for this little stunt he set up to try and sue someone.

If Joe Public sues Ford Motors over faulty product "X", and it's a clear case of Ford just throwing more money at the lawsuit to win, I don't think Joe Public should be punished.

But if you set out to sue someone, and the court sees through your ruse, hell yes you should have to pay for wasting everyone's time.

If this half wit Embody would have just stayed home that day 1,000's of hours since the event wouldn't have been wasted.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
That sad part is this guy is a class III dealer! He is in a forum for dealers only and they guy is a nut job. I don't think he got enough attention as a kid. Take a look at his site's terms http://www.kwikrnu.com/terms.htm
Attention comes in a lot of forms. Is it too late for a blanket party?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Ahh a good old fashioned blanket party. Count me in!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't know about in every case, but in one like this, hell yeah! He deserves to spend the rest of his life paying the costs for this little stunt he set up to try and sue someone.

If Joe Public sues Ford Motors over faulty product "X", and it's a clear case of Ford just throwing more money at the lawsuit to win, I don't think Joe Public should be punished.

But if you set out to sue someone, and the court sees through your ruse, hell yes you should have to pay for wasting everyone's time.

If this half wit Embody would have just stayed home that day 1,000's of hours since the event wouldn't have been wasted.
If Joe X sues Ford and has a strong case, odds are they will settle before it ever goes that far but it IS a really good point.

I guess if you knew you were right you could presumably throw as much money at the suit as you wanted as well assuming Ford would lose and incur that cost...might not be perfect but what about this...

The looser pays winners cost equal to his own.

If Ford spends 5k on a case (just a number to work with) and you spend 2 but lose, you would only be liable for 2 of the 5k Ford spent?

All I am saying is a justice system isnt just if you end up homeless while proving you didnt rape the neighboor or kill their dog...

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun