Unusual investigation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Unusual investigation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1586 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Default Unusual investigation

A gun running ring was busted in August. I haven't made a post about this investigation because I was waiting on more information. A Sanford, NC man was arrested for running over 100 guns into NY on Greyhound buses.

Investigators said he had numerous people making straw purchases for him. Most of the guns were handguns. One can only get 5 pistol purchase permits every six months. Only seven accomplices were arrested with the gunrunner. The names of the accomplices are being withheld.

Many of these guns had to be stolen. Yet there were no arrests for burglary. I doubt any of these guns will be returned to their rightful owner.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/19/3120374/sanford-man-accused-of-smuggling.html

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1342 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 3391

Does North Carolina not return stolen property to the rightful owner when the trial is over?

Did anyone report them stolen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
A gun running ring was busted in August. I haven't made a post about this investigation because I was waiting on more information. A Sanford, NC man was arrested for running over 100 guns into NY on Greyhound buses.

Investigators said he had numerous people making straw purchases for him. Most of the guns were handguns. One can only get 5 pistol purchase permits every six months. Only seven accomplices were arrested with the gunrunner. The names of the accomplices are being withheld.

Many of these guns had to be stolen. Yet there were no arrests for burglary. I doubt any of these guns will be returned to their rightful owner.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/19/3120374/sanford-man-accused-of-smuggling.html
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by TDS92A; 10-08-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added a question.
People Like This 
Old 10-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5703 Times on 3224 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
Does North Carolina not return stolen property to the rightful owner when the trial is over?

Did anyone report them stolen?

Yep. I'd like to hear "the rest of the story."

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I agree. It has been almost two months, and you would think that a crime like this would have made more noise than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
“New York is the safest big city in the nation,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement. “But year after year, illegal guns flow into our city from states that don’t have common-sense laws that keep guns out of the hands of criminals. There is no doubt that the seizure of these guns – the largest bust in the city’s history – has saved lives.”
Or... If NY were to repel its laws stupid gun laws, there wouldn't be a smuggling ring. Put up a state background check to stop the bad dudes from buying guns from a legitimate source, get rid of the rest of the gun laws, and you won't have smugglers.

People will always smuggle things when there's profit to be made. All the gun laws have done is spiked the demand for guns while lowering the profit, thus putting the existing guns at a premium price. Look at the below quote, they even admit it.

Quote:
New York authorities said their strict gun laws can triple the price for illicit firearms, providing motivation for the conspiracy.
Get rid of the gun laws, prices drop back to normal, gun smuggling goes away. So the bad guys will smuggle other stuff.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How dare you approach this problem with common sense!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Or... If NY were to repel its laws stupid gun laws, there wouldn't be a smuggling ring. Put up a state background check to stop the bad dudes from buying guns from a legitimate source, get rid of the rest of the gun laws, and you won't have smugglers.

People will always smuggle things when there's profit to be made. All the gun laws have done is spiked the demand for guns while lowering the profit, thus putting the existing guns at a premium price. Look at the below quote, they even admit it.

Get rid of the gun laws, prices drop back to normal, gun smuggling goes away. So the bad guys will smuggle other stuff.
People Like This 
Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

"Common sense, reasonable gun control dialog" ....

Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The only "reasonable gun control" is a good cheek to stock meld, using both hands, or a sling. Anything else is sailboat fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
"Common sense, reasonable gun control dialog" ....

People Like This 
Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I heard a story a couple of years ago, and I heard it more then second hand. A local floridian had some guns taken in a burglary. three or four pistols and a home defense pump shotgun of some kind. The story goes that a couple were found in Florida, and withing a couple of months he received them back. One was recovered in New York, and the NYPD contacted him for information on the burglary and to confirm that it was stolen. This guy did that and asked when he could expect the handgun returned. He was told it would be kept until the trial and then destroyed, that New York did not, as policy, return stolen firearms.

Like I typed, it was told to me, and I know none of those involved. It could be fiction, and it could be fact, but it follows New York's attitude towards firearms.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

guns being smuggled into NY has been going on for years due to the problems of getting them in NY. not exactly new news. i suspect it will continue to happen again.