Unregistered Handgun in Maryland
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Unregistered Handgun in Maryland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Unregistered Handgun in Maryland

Heres the full story. I have been in the market to purchase a .45. My dad offered to give me his Smith and Wesson 1911 .45 So I accepted. One problem. It is an unregistered firearm. He has not fired it since the late 80's.

The question is, can I transport an unregistered firearm to a gun range to have it checked out? How do I go about registering a handgun? Do I need to take it to a police station?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. But I, nor my family qualify as "gun" people. (Yet!)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Move to a different State. Never post this type of information in an open forum that can be and is searched.

Oh, welcome to the FTF!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Was S&W making 1911s in the late 80s? Has it really been that long? I thought they were relative noobs. I must be older than I think.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #4

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

before you take it back to your home state, MAKE SURE you have researched the law inside and out before you get into a debacle and lose your firearm, possibly your liberty to purchase/own future firearms, and maybe even your freedom (for a time being).

your best bet would be to contact the NRA (first), and then, maybe, your state police for information about handgun laws.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 03-14-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In Maryland there is no requirement to register your firearm. If you want to transfer ownership from your father to you, you and your father can go to one of the MSP barracks and do the transfer for $10.
Transporting the pistol to and from a range or a gunsmith is perfectly legal. The gun must be unloaded and kept in a case.