University Allows Concealed Carry
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

University Allows Concealed Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default University Allows Concealed Carry

A school I would happily send my daughter to.

Liberty Univ. Allows Concealed Carry on Campus

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WOW! that must NOT be a libtard school.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

its a step in the right direction!!
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
A school I would happily send my daughter to.

Liberty Univ. Allows Concealed Carry on Campus
Do you have any info on how they accomplished that? Here is South Carolina, state law prevents it. It would be a great help in getting that changed if we knew how it was done there.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #5

It is a change in school policy according to the article and it is a private Christian University. I think they could do it based on one or two reasons. 1. VA state CC laws don't specifically state that it's illegal to carry on a University or 2. It's private and the law only states public institutions, but I would have to look into their CCW laws before I could say positively how they are able to do it.

Member:

Old 11-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #6

Excerpt from VA state law: The exemptions set out in 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.

So according to the article and this law there isn't really too much difference since a firearm is not allowed in a classroom or dorm but around the campus and the laws from what I can see don't really address a school policy on CCW, I'm pretty sure there will be more to how this all turns out in the end but for now it is a step in the right direction.

Member:

Old 11-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Argument: In an active shooter scenario like the one that occurred at Virginia Tech, a student or faculty member with a gun would only make things worse.

Response: What is worse than allowing an execution-style massacre to continue uncontested? How could any action with the potential to stop or slow a deranged killer intent on slaughtering victim after victim be considered "worse" than allowing that killer to continue undeterred? Contrary to what the movies might have us believe, most real-world shoot outs last less than ten seconds. Even the real Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, a shootout involving nine armed participants and a number of bystanders, lasted only about thirty seconds and resulted in only three fatalities. It is unlikely that an exchange of gunfire between an armed assailant and an armed citizen would last more than a couple of seconds before one or both parties were disabled. How could a couple of seconds of exchanged gunfire possibly be worse than a ten-minute, execution-style massacre?

The above was taken from the link...what a fantastic response to the argument. Whomever wrote that response was wearing his thinking cap.

I was exempt from the "no guns" policy while I was going to UofA to finish my BA, as I was already a police officer, and thus had a blanket exemption. But there were a metric ****load of vets and older students who would have carried on campus if they had the chance. I just made sure I was ALWAYS dressed to conceal, and no one ever knew I was armed.

My feeling has to be that any student who is responsible enough to jump through all the hoops correctly to secure his or her ability to carry on campus, is a whole lot more responsible than your average dorm-rat, and thus NOT going to be a problem on campus with a pistol, any more than they would be a problem carrying anywhere else.

I can see the "no guns" in dorms as reasonable because most of the dorm rats are freshmen and under the legal age to carry anyway. Securing your firearm from unauthorized use would also be a problem. How long can the combination or hiding place for a key be kept secret from a room mate in close quarters such as those????? I never lived in a dorm, but a former girlfriend and several "booty calls" did, and it was worse than some daycare centers I have been in.

As for carrying in class...meh...concealed means concealed, and if it IS truly concealed...let is be a HUSH.

IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion)

Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Do you have any info on how they accomplished that? Here is South Carolina, state law prevents it. It would be a great help in getting that changed if we knew how it was done there.
I have a similar question on Mississippi's new "enhanced" concealed carry permit. In MS, it is my understanding that there is/was a law against firearms on campus. At MSU, the campus police had a locker for hunting firearms belonging to students; drop it off on the way in and pick it up on the way out. I continue to wonder how the new "enhanced" carry permit will be treated on MS campuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
[B][I][COLOR="Green"]I can see the "no guns" in dorms as reasonable because most of the dorm rats are freshmen and under the legal age to carry anyway. Securing your firearm from unauthorized use would also be a problem. How long can the combination or hiding place for a key be kept secret from a room mate in close quarters such as those????? I never lived in a dorm, but a former girlfriend and several "booty calls" did, and it was worse than some daycare centers I have been in.
I lived in a dorm as a freshman and later as a grad student (over 21). I agree that maintaining control over possession of the firearm could be a problem. I think a gunsafe in the office for hunting-type firearms would be a decent compromise, especially if there was an exception for any student who could provide a fixed and lockable container for the firearm in their room. Probably should be limited to single-occupancy rooms more common amongst the older students. I did know a couple of people who had a pistol in their footlocker at MSU; they kept it out of sight for the most part.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 AM   #9

Default azgunrunner

"In an active shooter scenario like the one that occurred at Virginia Tech, a student or faculty member with a gun would only make things worse." Just remember, it's the liberal gun-grabbers who make false statements like this. If one of THEM had a gun, this statement would probably be true. They no doubt wouldn't know how to shoot the gun properly and very likely would shoot themselves in the foot, or shoot an innocent bystander. Attitude is everything! Sensible, intelligent people with good common sense will ALWAYS be armed, everywhere they go, because they would rather be alive and in violation of some unconstitutional, irrational law than lying in a morgue at room temperature.