Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Universal Background Checks... What do they accomplish?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5786 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 10956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I just wanna say it's SO nice to have a civil discussion on this.

Whether I'm enlightened or not, is another matter.
It's early yet.

No offense and none taken

Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #32
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Can you explain the part about not going to jail for a gun in Chitcago?
I understand that, for one reason or another, people arrested/convicted of criminal possession of a firearm very rarely get jail time.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5786 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 10956

If regulating guns sales works, maybe we should try regulating prescription drugs, too. That should keep them off the streets.

No offense and none taken

Vincine Likes This 
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #34

Liked 2307 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

Quote:
TackleberryThe answer lies in actual punishment. Life punishment for criminal missuse of a firearms.

Remove the thugs from society permanently and the need to control anything evaporates overnight.

Tack
"i see a red sash, and i kill the man wearin it!"-tombstone

i don't agree with all you said, but i certainly agree with STRONG consequences for criminal behavior with guns.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #35
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Big Brother does not have the right, the power or the need to tell ME what I should do with my private property or who I deal with as a law abiding citizen of this country. This is not the way this country was envisioned. The feds have very LIMITED powers over the people of this country. They've taken more by force of hand than they ever should have had to begin with. We don't live in a feudalistic state, this is America and we have rights, liberty and freedom. The "state" has way overstepped it's boundaries on a lot more than just guns, but this is just one example of them doing it again. They'll push this unconstitutional garbage through as some sort of "compromise" and next year some other nut case will go off and they'll just HAVE to do a little more until it's registration of all guns and possibly forfeititure of any they deem shouldn't be in the hands of the great unwashed. I say it's all BS control from people I wouldn't give the time of day to.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #36

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Obama visited Colorado to get support for a new Federal gun law. Colorado is currently violating Federal Drug laws. Obama and Holder refuse to enforce these laws.
There are 22 million Americans today being treated for drug abuse. Everyone of the mass killers had drug related problems. Obama is sending arms and money to Mexico to control Marijuana coming into the U.S. But he allows violations of the law in the country.
Obama is the most inept president since Carter.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #37
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1695 Times on 967 Posts
Likes Given: 3455

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Big Brother does not have the right, the power or the need to tell ME what I should do with my private property or who I deal with as a law abiding citizen of this country. This is not the way this country was envisioned. The feds have very LIMITED powers over the people of this country. They've taken more by force of hand than they ever should have had to begin with. We don't live in a feudalistic state, this is America and we have rights, liberty and freedom. The "state" has way overstepped it's boundaries on a lot more than just guns, but this is just one example of them doing it again. They'll push this unconstitutional garbage through as some sort of "compromise" and next year some other nut case will go off and they'll just HAVE to do a little more until it's registration of all guns and possibly forfeititure of any they deem shouldn't be in the hands of the great unwashed. I say it's all BS control from people I wouldn't give the time of day to.
Reading and hearing that this so-called "compromise" is just an amendment and not a bill. What they will do with this is add to S. 649 in the Senate as an amendment.

Anytime I hear a political figurehead say one thing and to me they mean the opposite.

This amendment has the making of a backdoor gun registry!

I printed out from twitchy the press release issued by the 2 Senators:

TITLE ONE: GETTING ALL THE NAMES OF PROHIBITED PURCHASERS INTO THE BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM

Summary of Title I: This section improves background checks for firearms by strengthening the instant check system.

- Encourage states to provide all their available records to NICS by restricting federal funds to states who do not comply.

- Allow dealers to voluntarily use the NICS database to run background checks on their prospective employees.

- Clarifies that submissions of mental health records into the NICS system are not prohibited by federal privacy laws (HIPAA).

- Provides a legal process for a veteran to contest his/her placement in NICS when there is no basis for barring the right to own a firearm.

TITLE TWO: REQUIRING BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR FIREARM SALES

Summary of Title II: This section of the bill requires background checks for sales at gun shows and online while securing certain aspects of 2nd Amendment rights for law abiding citizens.

- Closes the gun show and other loopholes while exempting temporary transfers and transfers between family members.

- Fixes interstate travel laws for sportsmen who transport their firearms across state lines in a responsible manner. The term “transport” includes staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, buying fuel, vehicle maintenance, and medical treatment.

- Protects sellers from lawsuits if the weapon cleared through the expanded background checks and is subsequently used in a crime. This is the same treatment gun dealers receive now.

- Allows dealers to complete transactions at gun shows that take place in a state for which they are not a resident.

- Requires that if a background check at a gun show does not result in a definitive response from NICS within 48 hours, the sale may proceed. After four years, when the NICS improvements are completed, the background check would clear in 24 hours. Current law is three business days.

- Requires the FBI to give priority to finalizing background checks at gun shows over checks at store front dealerships.

- Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer.

- Permits interstate handgun sales from dealers.

- Allows active military to buy firearms in their home states.

- Family transfers and some private sales (friends, neighbors, other individuals) are exempt from background checks

TITLE THREE: NATIONAL COMMISSION ON MASS VIOLENCE

Summary of Title III: : This section of the bill creates a commission to study the causes of mass violence in the United States, looking at all aspects of the problem, including guns, school safety, mental health, and violent media or video games.

The Commission would consist of six experts appointed by the Senate Majority Leader and six experts appointed by the Speaker of the House. They would be required to submit an interim report in three months and a completed report in six months.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #38

Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i can see no harm in waiting a few minutes to get a gun,...
Would you mind checking with me before you make your next post? It'll only take a few minutes.

Quote:
....so that a criminal must pursue an illegal means to get his.
I think that's how they do it now.

Quote:
..i have to do things that bother and inconvenience me far more...like freakin state inspections and registrations on my cars.
Those are about taxes. If you think guns should be taxed, that's another discussion.

If you think guns should be inspected like cars, I suggest to you the fact that I legally direct my 2-ton pickup truck down the highway and close on your vehicle at a combined speed of about 200 ft/sec. knowing we will miss each other by around 6 ft. gives you a pretty solid reason to require that my vehicle's steering works.

So, if/when I am ever legally allowed to shoot in your direction, missing you by mere feet, I will bend to your right to require a test of my marksmanship. Until that happens, there is no valid comparison.

As long as the pro gun control crowd stubbornly ignores the obvious stuff, no gun owner is his/her right mind is going to trust them. Why should they be trusted? They keep trying the same things over and over, expecting different results. The assault rifle ban was already tried. It didn't work. That's been proved. That's also been proved in my country, btw.

Until the other side admits that mass shooting invariably occur in "gun free" zones and explains why that happens, it is apparent they are either profoundly stupid or have something else in mind.

For my part, I'd also like to know why they keep ignoring the findings of the American Psychological Association - the single most important driver for these sickos is the publicity they get. They want to be notorious and to be noticed. We oblige them - we make them household names. If gun controllers really want to stop such shooting incidents, would it not make sense to start by discussing how we can remove the biggest motivator?

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 04-11-2013 at 03:06 AM.
People Like This 
Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #39

Liked 2307 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

Quote:
Rocky7;1210179

Those are about taxes. If you think guns should be taxed, that's another discussion.

If you think guns should be inspected like cars, I suggest to you the fact that I legally direct my 2-ton pickup truck down the highway and close on your vehicle at a combined speed of about 200 ft/sec. knowing we will miss each other by around 6 ft. gives you a pretty solid reason to require that my vehicle's steering works.

So, if/when I am ever legally allowed to shoot in your direction, missing you by mere feet, I will bend to your right to require a test of my marksmanship. Until that happens, there is no valid comparison.
if you think i was comparing cars to guns or saying guns should be inspected or registered, then i misreperesented myself with that post. i wasn't making any comparisons between the two.

i was just saying that getting your car inspected is way more of a pain in the a$$ than any background check i ever had to buy a gun...

it doesn't go any deeper than that. in fact, i rarely go any deeper than that!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #40

Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
if you think i was comparing cars to guns or saying guns should be inspected or registered, then i misreperesented myself with that post. i wasn't making any comparisons between the two.
Ooops. Sorry, I guess my clutch slipped a bit there.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 04-11-2013 at 04:00 AM.