Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Universal Background Checks... What do they accomplish?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tackleberry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 5,725
Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
Wow I am completely shocked. Bill O'Reilly on Fox News. Just had a segment where he was saying he supports gun registration .wtf
Bill O'Reilly is a libtard on the the gun issue.

He lives in his bubble of "security" just like to politicians do.

I read his first book years ago and he hit's the nail on the head regarding the socialist liberal agenda in every facet but he completely fails to connect the exact same villian's to the gun debate...

...Sadly moronic

Tack
__________________

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 04-12-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Tackleberry1 is offline  
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #142
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 22,280
Liked 6660 Times on 4028 Posts
Likes Given: 7915

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
However, they are still half of what it was in the late eighties and early nineties when I was going to college and living on the south side of Chicago. I have lovely memories of laying in bed in my dorm and listening
to automatic weapons fire coming from the Robert Taylor homes...
You must have gone to UIC.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #143
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rocky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Red Deer,Alberta
Posts: 1,410
Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
The numbers came from the FBI/DoJ crime states, which I can't seem to find now. Both Chi & NYC had just under 500 gun homicides in 2012, but NYC has three times the population.
Is this what you're looking for?:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table_12_crime_trends_by_population_group_2010-2011.xls

and, specifically NY:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/preliminary-semiannual-uniform-crime-report-january-june-2012/data-tables/table-4-cuts/table_4_offenses_reported_to_law_enforcement_by_st ate_montana_through_ohio_2012.xls

The big picture is that your national homicide and violent crime rates continue to drop (and drop faster than Canada, btw). Those rates are now approximately back to rates not seen since the 60's. Which leads me to ask:

1. Why does anyone think this needs "fixing"?

2. How can the coincidental spread of CCW laws be given so little credit?

You might also be interested in this story:

The number of violent crimes in the United States dropped significantly last year, to what appeared to be the lowest rate in nearly 40 years, a development that was considered puzzling partly because it ran counter to the prevailing expectation that crime would increase during a recession.

In all regions, the country appears to be safer. .....

The news was not as positive in New York City, however. After leading a long decline in crime rates, the city saw increases in all four types of violent lawbreaking — murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault — including a nearly 14 percent rise in murders.


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/us/24crime.html?_r=0

Those who claim that NY's strict gun control laws are responsible for it's lowering crime rates have some 'splaining to do, I think. How come there is improvement in many other places which did not crank down on guns and, in fact, went in the opposite direction? How come NY's rate is now going up? How come strict gun control laws didn't work in Chicago?
__________________

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.


Last edited by Rocky7; 04-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Rocky7 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #144
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
The numbers came from the FBI/DoJ crime states, which I can't seem to find now. Both Chi & NYC had just under 500 gun homicides in 2012, but NYC has three times the population.
http://bjs.gov/ucrdata/Search/Crime/State/StatebyState.cfm

You stated:
Quote:
NYC has the lowest gun violence & crime rate its had in decades. Chicago is having its highest.
Actually, Chicago is at a 30 year low. We just have been ticking up slightly in the last year. We are half of what it was 20 years ago... **** I am getting old...

Homicides in Chicago by year.
see attached file.

darn facts...
File Type: pdf Chgo murder rates.pdf (95.4 KB, 29 views)
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
orangello Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #145
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

This thread needed a poll, maybe right through the heart.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #146
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,246
Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Default

Let these links go. These aren't the links we're looking for.

Somewhere I saw per 100k stats on homicides, broken down by city, and then by weapon.

I think the overall decline in violence has more to do with an aging pouplation then anything else. But that's just Me.

And I think orengello is right about the poll.

__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
Vincine is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #147
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,839
Liked 19561 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I don't think background checks will make any differences in America so its not worth doing. But i don't agree with the above statement or similar statements. Just because people brake laws is not a good reason for not having them. Take it further no point of having driving laws no point in having laws against rape murder or any other crime because people some will brake them anyway.
i don't think anyone with common sense would think not having laws is the answer. but the thing is, maybe they should enforce the ones they already have, instead of making new ones, that in all likelyhood will be just as ineffective.

there are already laws in place that they can use to prosecute felons with firearms. there are already laws that make it illegal to straw purchase a firearm.

many times laws are in place to define a level of guilt an to what degree that person needs to be punished. we all know murder is a crime. but given the circumstances surrounding the crime is why we have laws. to determine the level of punishment. Eg: one case of murder, a man robs a sore and shoots the clerk and two bystanders. another case, a man comes home and find his wife in bed with another man and kills both. now give these two cases, which one is more likely to commit murder again, and which one should recieve a longer sentence or even sentenced to death as punishment? or another case, a man gets into an argument with another person and it goes to a fistfight and he accidently hits the other person too hard in the head with his fist killing the person. should this man be prosecuted the same a the man who robbed a store and killed three people?

just my thoughts on the subject. common sense needs to applied to the law and the way it governs us. a UBC is nothing more but another step into trying for a national registration of firearms and the only losers will be the LAC, not the criminals. if or when, (which i truly doubt!) they ever come up with an idea, proposal or measure that limits the criminals from gaining access or prosecutes them at a higher level of punishment and they can prove that these can deter criminals or criminal acts, i might give them some consideration. but common sense tells me it has nothing to do with this, but another means to disarm LAC's from their firearms.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #148
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 7,061
Liked 5794 Times on 3166 Posts
Likes Given: 10963

Default

One thing background checks for mental illness will accomplish; A lot of people who need mental help will be afraid to seek it for fear of being blacklisted by the government.

__________________

No offense and none taken

MisterMcCool is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #149
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 279
Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
One thing background checks for mental illness will accomplish; A lot of people who need mental help will be afraid to seek it for fear of being blacklisted by the government.
Also I think that these days the medical profession have a fetish for pigeon holing people's sickness and over diagnosis if in doubt. You can't be sad anymore cos your obviously depressed! Your not worried anymore you have anxiety depression! You can't be angry one minute then have a laugh the next cos it means your bi polar. Don't even think of talking to your self cos you'll be schizophrenic. If you feed the pigeons in the park your psychotic.
__________________
lfcshooter is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wiebelhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belton,Texas
Posts: 970
Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I posted this in a few threads today in responce to those members you are talking about, so here it is again.

Reasons why the universal background check WON'T work.


1. By definition, criminals DON'T follow laws. What's one more law to them? If they are going to use a gun in a crime, they are already looking at some seriously hard time. Do you think they really care about laws?

2. MOST guns used in crimes are stolen, or bought ILLEGALLY on the streets. AKA, the black market. A law is not going to stop this, because what they are doing is already illegal. You want to stop this? How about prosecuting these criminals? The VAST majority of them caught breaking a gun control law were never prosecuted.

3. Even the police think a universal background check is useless. It WON'T stop criminals from getting guns.



4. There are already laws against selling guns to criminals. THEY DON'T WORK. Why would another one work?

5. The ONLY people who would be effected by that law are people like you and me. People who already follow the law.

On top of all of this, a universal background check would make it easier for the Government to pass laws requiring registration, and we all know exactly what that leads to.

People, why would you say yes to more gun control? Has it EVER worked before? (In case your wondering, the answer is a big NO.) IMHO, people who say yes to this law, are also saying yes to more gun control in the future. THAT is what they want, and YOU are HELPING THEM.

Today it is universal gun control, tomorrow it will be registration, licencing, and confiscation. Is that what you want? People from other countries are WARNING us about this, because they have gone through this themselves. Listen to them if you want to keep your rights. If you do want this, then you deserve every bit of gun control that comes with it.
What he said.
__________________

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Wiebelhaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
The Case Against Background Checks Rentacop Legal and Activism 0 03-24-2013 12:37 AM
History of Background Checks Sniper03 Legal and Activism 4 03-14-2013 02:51 PM
Background checks kirbinster Legal and Activism 2 02-23-2013 02:10 PM
Universal Background Checks? Tackleberry1 Legal and Activism 6 01-12-2013 12:09 AM
CCW bypasses background checks blucoondawg Legal and Activism 35 05-01-2012 02:08 AM