Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Universal Background Checks... What do they accomplish?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
those with violent histories? people confined in institutions? the mentally unsound? i'll never agree with that. in fact, i think 99% of the populace would disagree with this stance. but you are, of course, entitled to it.

release a con (i know, they shouldn't...but they do) from prison for a violent assault (or assaults) with a deadly weapons and direct him to the nearest gun store? am i understanding you correctly, or have i misinterpreted?

your ACTIONS have nothing to do with your race, gender, or ethnicity. everyone in this country now has the freedom to make good or bad choices.
I believe you are reading his post wrong.

If someone mental illness has been cured, why shouldn't they able to get a gun?

If someone hasn't committed a violent crime, why shouldn't they have their rights restored?

The way I see it is, if you cannot be trusted with a gun, you shouldn't be in public at all. That weeds out all the dangerous criminals. Of course, they let the bastards back out and wonder why we have a high crime rate.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2368 Times on 1382 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Can it be done? Yes. Will it? NO. If that law passes, the next time a wackjob shoots up a school, the libs with go after registration like they are UBCs and bans on semi autos and magazines. YOU KNOW THIS.
As said before, they don't even enforce the thousands of gun laws we have now, why would this new one be any different?
Its a start? Yes, it's a start toward us loosing more rights.
Criminals will always find a way, laws don't effect criminals, only punishments do.
ok, i agree...they likely won't. i'm throwing out some simple ideas our moron representatives should be working out. i really wish these jerk offs could sit across a table and work out the solution. "so..what effective laws could we pass while respecting the nature of the second amendment?" and come up with some solutions that will not give everybody THEIR WAY, but both sides can LIVE WITH. that is the basic nature of a compromise.
you can get good things done this way, make a difference.

and i still think many of you guys overall arguments seems to be "criminals will break laws, so don't bother making laws.." would you apply this basic idea to every aspect of society? or does it only apply to firearms?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Two things you seem to over look.
1. Progressives are the most ruthless and dishonest people on this earth.
2. The vast majority of politicians are progressives.

"ALWAYS LOVE YOUR COUNTRY, BUT NEVER TRUST YOUR GOVERNMENT"
point taken.

unfortunately, politicians are the ones with power debating these issues....

Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #114

Quote:
texaswoodworker;1211057]I believe you are reading his post wrong.
i do hope so.

Quote:
Of course, they let the bastards back out and wonder why we have a high crime rate.
ugh. don't get me started on that....

Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #115

Quote:
i do hope so.

ugh. don't get me started on that....
No, do get started on that. THATS the issue. We don't need UBCs, we need to stop letting the bastards out. That would lower the crime rate MUCH more than a UBC ever could.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6067 Times on 3332 Posts
Likes Given: 11628

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

those with violent histories? people confined in institutions? the mentally unsound? i'll never agree with that. in fact, i think 99% of the populace would disagree with this stance. but you are, of course, entitled to it.
Absolutely. It started with denying rights to convicts. They were found guilty and endured the sentence. Then they are released unable to hunt or defend themselves against man or beast? I would bet most of the populace has violated a law at some time in their lives. (I remember my youth.) Now they want to disenfranchise the "mentally ill." By whose definition? I remember when homosexuality was a mental illness. Depression is a mental illness. As are epilepsy and dyslexia.
Give them nothing!

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 04-12-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #117

Quote:
ok, i agree...they likely won't. i'm throwing out some simple ideas our moron representatives should be working out. i really wish these jerk offs could sit across a table and work out the solution. "so..what effective laws could we pass while respecting the nature of the second amendment?" and come up with some solutions that will not give everybody THEIR WAY, but both sides can LIVE WITH. that is the basic nature of a compromise.
you can get good things done this way, make a difference.

and i still think many of you guys overall arguments seems to be "criminals will break laws, so don't bother making laws.." would you apply this basic idea to every aspect of society? or does it only apply to firearms?
If they're not even going to enforce it, why pass it? All it will do is effect the LACs, not the criminals.

They won't compromise, and they never have been compromising with the 2nd Amendment. As c3 said in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Jim- what I have seen happening with firearms since 1968 should not be called a compromise.

The dictionary definition of "compromise": A settlement of differences in which each side makes concessions.

Sorry- but I damn sure do not see the other side making any concessions. It is a bite here, a nibble there, a little more there, ad infinitum.

But what the hell- it's just a little chain. I'm sure we'll hardly feel it.

Except when we try to move.

Or breathe.
They have been getting their way for decades. NO MORE. WE DRAW THE LINE HERE.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #118
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19982 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50403

a UBC isn't going to solve any of the problems they are trying to mislead us into believing it will. all these supposed measures and proposals are not going to deter criminal behaviour or violent attacks by the mentally unbalanced.

my fear is that a UBC is another step towards universal registration, which is another step towards confiscation. just another tool for them to restrict the 2nd amendment rights of LAC's.

some people say times have changed and the 2nd amendment is outdated and that we don't need it anymore because we have the police and the military to protect us. HogWash! we need it now more than ever!

now, if i knew that any of these measures or proposals could prevent criminal acts or the violent killing sprees, maybe then, i could support them. but common sense says otherwise. facts and evidence have proven that they haven't worked in the past, they won't work now and they won't work in the future. the fact of the matter is that it's not about detering crime or violent acts but in disarmament of the American citizen, one gun at a time. much easier to control the masses when they are disarmed and essentially defenseless.

People Like This 
Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #119

Liked 370 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Contrary to "popular opion" the term "Good and Patriotic" is NOT synonyms with "Lay down... or you might get hurt".

Tack
Brilliant. My thoughts exactly! Thumbs up Tack.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 04-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #120

Liked 370 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
Wow I am completely shocked. Bill O'Reilly on Fox News. Just had a segment where he was saying he supports gun registration .wtf
I at one time believed Bill understood our rights. He now appears to be nothing but a tool

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Last edited by tomgodd; 04-12-2013 at 02:54 AM.