Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Universal Background Checks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Default Universal Background Checks?

Uncle Joe floated the notation that the Nations Largest FFL's might support universal background checks because it would drive more business to them...

The only way this would make any sence is if they OUTLAW gun owners selling there guns to anyone BUT an FFL.

I belive this was the topic of yesterdays meetings between Holder and Wal Mart, Cabelas, Bass Pro, ect...

The notion being that if we could only thin or trade our collections with FFL's, they could make windfall proffits buying our guns "wholesale" and of course re-selling them "retail". It would also eliminate the private seller as 1 source of current competition.

Passage of such a law would immediately reduce the value of all our collections to WHOLESALE value... and remove the "investment" incentive for collecting firearms!

All of these retailers need to hear from us...they need to know that any support in favor of "Universal Background Checks" will be met with the loss of our business!

Tack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Consignment.

My LGS tells you up front he does not want to buy your gun, but will help you sell it.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Consignment.

My LGS tells you up front he does not want to buy your gun, but will help you sell it.
...but if the rules change...and you could "legally" only sell it to him?

I'm thinking a group of sellers with no other options would change his policy.

Tack

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Tack, this would suck for many reasons, but it could only impact firearms purchased after its passage. To affect previously purchased firearms, they would ALL have to be registered to somebody, and i don't know how many people would be that stupid (probably not gonna be big with Jewish people or the remnants of any group targeted by Hitler).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #5

Liked 1637 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Consignment.

Yes. Several shops here will do consignments. But who wants to pay 25% to a dealer. Again investment gone. I could see guys getting an ffl just so they could do transfers for people. That could be a business all of it's own. Charge people $25 to do transfers. I know that some dealers do that now. But not really for personal sales, at least not in Colorado.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Yes. Several shops here will do consignments. But who wants to pay 25% to a dealer. Again investment gone. I could see guys getting an ffl just so they could do transfers for people. That could be a business all of it's own. Charge people $25 to do transfers. I know that some dealers do that now. But not really for personal sales, at least not in Colorado.
Bingo...

I can't imagine any other incentive or reason the administration would think they could get the support of retailers?

All of these guys know the Smith and Wesson saga...all of them know that backlash from customers and wholesalers would put them out of business...I can't imagine any of them being stupid enough to support it...

...but I do think this is exactly what Uncle Joe mean when he talked about things he thought they could accomplish through "executive orders".

We'll find out Tuesday...just remember, you heard it here first.

Tack

Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I have the concern that small FFL holders will be driven out of business.

What better way to assist than to get rid of the mosquitoes?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT