Unintended Consequences and the Difference Between Us and Them
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Unintended Consequences and the Difference Between Us and Them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 169

Post Unintended Consequences and the Difference Between Us and Them

Unintended consequences are fascinating. One of the most intriguing things about them is that they're often so easy to predict -- at least for people not directly involved in the disastrous decisions.

Such was the case with two recent choices, one made by anti-gunners and one made by pro-gunners.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd04/wolfe-unintended-consequences.htm

Cnon

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 AM   #2

Liked 2496 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Here's an unexpected result. I left NJ. Took all
my money with me.

I'm northern by birth, but southern by choice.

Now I spend all my money in Florida, which,

somehow, even with all it's guns, is safer than NJ.

Now NJ has more restrictive laws, less people for it's

tax base, and less money coming in.

How's that for unexpected results, NJ?

Last edited by therewolf; 05-26-2014 at 04:46 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 169

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Here's an unexpected result. I left NJ. Took all
my money with me.

I'm northern by birth, but southern by choice.

Now I spend all my money in Florida, which,

somehow, even with all it's guns, is safer than NJ.

Now NJ has more restrictive laws, less people for it's

tax base, and less money coming in.

How's that for unexpected results, NJ?

Love it; like they say, money talks, BS Walks.

Cnon

Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6136 Times on 3040 Posts
Likes Given: 6514

There is both purity in some reasoning and lack of it in others. If your reasoning comes from a higher calling, its likely to be less problematic than just trying to stack the deck with cards that favor one person over another.

What Remington did was finish the discussion, they didnt start it (publicly), it was highly predictable and everyone here saw it coming like a freight train, Andy included. It wasnt the first nail, only the final one and Remington was preparing to do this long before the safe act, Andy just fired the final shot and now they have all the ammo they need to leave the state supported by most Forearm enthusiasts and 2A supporters.

Dipsticks that wanna play urban warrior wannabe have never reflected the typical 2A supporter, they dont today, we shouldnt give them any credence for effect cause they dont resemble anything we stand for even if Libterds want to equate one with the other because it serves their cause not ours. Thats like saying all Camaro owners are dangerous cause a few drive like idiots.

When Gov acts, there are very few unintended consequences. They have statistics that support everything they do and predict the outcomes pretty successfully. They are rarely surprised by outcomes we didnt see coming even if they say they are shocked. Andy wont cry a single tear about Remington and he claps everytime an idiot does something foolish with a firearm in tow.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #5

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

What a good article. There's a saying, "Every solution breeds more problems." Big solutions breed big problems. It's why I favor smaller, more local controls, not because they will prevent unintended consequences, but because a community can more quickly see perverse effects and can modify or 'reverse course' as needed for their community. As she puts it, "The grassroots are nimble." When you try things on the small scale, and they work, they can be adapted by others to implement, and/or modify, as they see fit. It's hell to get something done on a large scale, and even worse to get it 'fixed'.

People Like This 
Old 05-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
What a good article. There's a saying, "Every solution breeds more problems." Big solutions breed big problems. It's why I favor smaller, more local controls, not because they will prevent unintended consequences, but because a community can more quickly see perverse effects and can modify or 'reverse course' as needed for their community. As she puts it, "The grassroots are nimble." When you try things on the small scale, and they work, they can be adapted by others to implement, and/or modify, as they see fit. It's hell to get something done on a large scale, and even worse to get it 'fixed'.
Exactly what we used to call the KISS System. The Keep It Simple Stupid has served me incredibly well. Too many layers add unreasonable and useless complexity to things best dealt with simply. Hell, in 6th grade, I was able to understand the things I must and cant do as a citizen by reading a few sheets of paper smaller than one chapter in my history books.

Ignorance of the law was no excuse then but it a perfect one today. LEO's and courts take months and years to decide guilt or innocence. WTF, we dont have that luxury when were just trying to live! We would never get anything done just like today for gods sake. Everyone doing a job or trying to create a business has to say "I will get back with you on that, gotta reference my law library" before they can fart!

V-, dont get me raging on this, OMG it pisses me off...
Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #7

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

As far as open carry is concerned I have no problem with it when someone is walking down the street with a holstered firearm in plain view. But when someone is walking around with a long arm or two slung on their shoulders and two or more handguns hanging on their belt why are they so shocked when the cops show up legal or not. If you're walking around in public more heavily armed than Rambo no wonder the average Joe thinks badly of pro-gun people and certainly no wonder that businesses don't want you in their stores.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

The old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." is quite true- and the article is a good read.

Case in point- politicians decided that they should prohibit import of "Saturday Night Specials"- small, cheaply made handguns- and yes, the RG comes to mind.

NOW the politicians are complaining about BIG, powerful handguns. (Dude- you got rid of the little cheap ones- what did you expect?)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3171 Times on 2152 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default Unintended Consequences and the Difference Between Us and Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
There is both purity in some reasoning and lack of it in others. If your reasoning comes from a higher calling, its likely to be less problematic than just trying to stack the deck with cards that favor one person over another.

What Remington did was finish the discussion, they didnt start it (publicly), it was highly predictable and everyone here saw it coming like a freight train, Andy included. It wasnt the first nail, only the final one and Remington was preparing to do this long before the safe act, Andy just fired the final shot and now they have all the ammo they need to leave the state supported by most Forearm enthusiasts and 2A supporters.

Dipsticks that wanna play urban warrior wannabe have never reflected the typical 2A supporter, they dont today, we shouldnt give them any credence for effect cause they dont resemble anything we stand for even if Libterds want to equate one with the other because it serves their cause not ours. Thats like saying all Camaro owners are dangerous cause a few drive like idiots.

When Gov acts, there are very few unintended consequences. They have statistics that support everything they do and predict the outcomes pretty successfully. They are rarely surprised by outcomes we didnt see coming even if they say they are shocked. Andy wont cry a single tear about Remington and he claps everytime an idiot does something foolish with a firearm in tow.

Yes! I support Forearms as well as FIREARMS!!

The Road to hell is just that! the road to hell...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Yes! I support Forearms as well as FIREARMS!!

The Road to hell is just that! the road to hell...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Them damn "Forearm enthusiasts" are the worst ever. Not to be confused with foreskin enthusiasts, completely different crowd, we call them hoodies around here!

I hate when my fingers type something wrong yet my eyes dont pick it up, just see what they wanna see...