under 21 and in possesion of handgun in illinois
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > under 21 and in possesion of handgun in illinois

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default under 21 and in possesion of handgun in illinois

Update and score one for the constitution!

We contacted an old friend of ours, who was a Sergeant for the state police on this subject. We told him our viewpoints on it, and how we personally interpreted the law. All in all, I ended up being correct.

IL Compiled Statute 720ILCS 5/24-3.1 is in support of what I said. I'm a legal citizen, I'm over the age of majority, I have my FOID card and I now have written permission from the gun owner, my father, to use his weapon.

(720 ILCS 5/24‑3.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑3.1)
Sec. 24‑3.1. Unlawful possession of firearms and firearm ammunition.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful possession of firearms or firearm ammunition when:
(1) He is under 18 years of age and has in his

possession any firearm of a size which may be concealed upon the person; or
(2) He is under 21 years of age, has been convicted

of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession; or
(3) He is a narcotic addict and has any firearms or

firearm ammunition in his possession; or
(4) He has been a patient in a mental hospital

within the past 5 years and has any firearms or firearm ammunition in his possession; or
(5) He is mentally retarded and has any firearms or

firearm ammunition in his possession; or
(6) He has in his possession any explosive bullet.
For purposes of this paragraph "explosive bullet" means the projectile portion of an ammunition cartridge which contains or carries an explosive charge which will explode upon contact with the flesh of a human or an animal. "Cartridge" means a tubular metal case having a projectile affixed at the front thereof and a cap or primer at the rear end thereof, with the propellant contained in such tube between the projectile and the cap.
(b) Sentence.
Unlawful possession of firearms, other than handguns, and firearm ammunition is a Class A misdemeanor. Unlawful possession of handguns is a Class 4 felony. The possession of each firearm or firearm ammunition in violation of this Section constitutes a single and separate violation.
(c) Nothing in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of this Section prohibits a person under 18 years of age from participating in any lawful recreational activity with a firearm such as, but not limited to, practice shooting at targets upon established public or private target ranges or hunting, trapping, or fishing in accordance with the Wildlife Code or the Fish and Aquatic Life Code.
(Source: P.A. 94‑284, eff. 7‑21‑05; 95‑331, eff. 8‑21‑07.)

Victory!

this is the closest answer i got for possesing a pistol under 21 in illinois. is this correct? can some one clarify this for me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

no one has any informaation on this subject?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

it isnt up to the local police if your tried in court or not. contact your local district attorney office what their opinion is. thats the one that counts. when you ride the line it doesnt mean they wont hassle you.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3059 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Have you checked the federal guidelines?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #5

I hope there's no federal law prohibiting a minor from target shooting or hunting with a handgun with parental permission -- or else I'm a bad guy!

Old 01-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You will not or should not get legal advice from this forum. Contact your DA as posted above.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

i believe you need supervision not just permission in regards to handguns. but im no lawyer.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Legal advice from the internet is worth about what it costs - nothing at all. Claiming "but the fellas at xyz.com told me it was OK" as you're led off to jail probably won't affect the outcome...

Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Liked 134 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 243

if you are under 21 in illinois you can own a firearm like any other resident of illinois- you need to (well first qualify for and apply for) POSSESS a valid FOID (Firearms Owners I.D.) card.

when you are under 21 the FOID application needs to be signed by an over 21 legal guardian or parent that is essentially taking liability for anything the under 21 individual does with any firearm or any ammunition.

there is no printed age restriction on the application or any verbage pertaining to one.

this is not legal advice but info that is available on the illinois state police website.

Last edited by Mack Bolan; 01-13-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #10

Well I have a pistol but I just wanna know if its legal for me to have