under 21 handgun ownership - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > under 21 handgun ownership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

The law about 21 being the minimum age for handgum ammo has been around for a long time. When I was seventeen, my friends dad took us to by ammo because we were not old enough. I said while I was standing at the counter, "I will be able to buy it myself in a couple of weeks." The stupid lady behind the counter started to argue the 22lr was a pistol cartridge and I would not be able to buy until 21. Duh, it says right on the box 22 long rifle.
That would have been 25 years ago. Just becuase you have the right to buy something doesn't mean some idiot isn't going to try to stop you.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
The law about 21 being the minimum age for handgum ammo has been around for a long time. When I was seventeen, my friends dad took us to by ammo because we were not old enough. I said while I was standing at the counter, "I will be able to buy it myself in a couple of weeks." The stupid lady behind the counter started to argue the 22lr was a pistol cartridge and I would not be able to buy until 21. Duh, it says right on the box 22 long rifle.
That would have been 25 years ago. Just becuase you have the right to buy something doesn't mean some idiot isn't going to try to stop you.
I'm simply out of touch. I came along before it was illegal to do much of anything. I never was too young to buy ammo or most weapons anything else, and I passed the 21 barrier before there was one.

My sons are independent cusses, and have always handled things pretty much on their own.

I do wonder how the federal boys would deal with one Indiana law. You can technically own a handgun here while under eighteen, if that handgun is given to you by a family member, or inherited from a family member. You can't carry it, but you are allowed to use it on your own property at any age.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #33

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
I do wonder how the federal boys would deal with one Indiana law. You can technically own a handgun here while under eighteen, if that handgun is given to you by a family member, or inherited from a family member. You can't carry it, but you are allowed to use it on your own property at any age.
There are many laws that are contradictory if compared at the federal and state levels. There are also a million variables that determine what is legal in a specific jurisdiction, not the least of which is subjective interpretation by different levels of law enforcement, DA's, and the public in general. In general though, go by the strictest standard.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #34

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I could easily be mistaken but I was under the impression that ever since the gun control act of 1968 it's been illegal federally to purchase handguns from FFL dealers under the age of 21.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I could easily be mistaken but I was under the impression that ever since the gun control act of 1968 it's been illegal federally to purchase handguns from FFL dealers under the age of 21.
That may well be. But I'm old.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Bear- you are absolutely correct- but some of us on here were buying guns by mail order long befo' 1968!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #37

IN GEORGIA
an 18 year old CAN POSSESS a handgun....however, they can not obtain a Georgia Firearms License for carry purposes until they are 21.
My 19 year old son has "his" handguns....they stay with me unless we are going shooting, fishing, camping, etc.....