under 21 handgun ownership - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > under 21 handgun ownership

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,454
Liked 2079 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Default

The law about 21 being the minimum age for handgum ammo has been around for a long time. When I was seventeen, my friends dad took us to by ammo because we were not old enough. I said while I was standing at the counter, "I will be able to buy it myself in a couple of weeks." The stupid lady behind the counter started to argue the 22lr was a pistol cartridge and I would not be able to buy until 21. Duh, it says right on the box 22 long rifle.
That would have been 25 years ago. Just becuase you have the right to buy something doesn't mean some idiot isn't going to try to stop you.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
The law about 21 being the minimum age for handgum ammo has been around for a long time. When I was seventeen, my friends dad took us to by ammo because we were not old enough. I said while I was standing at the counter, "I will be able to buy it myself in a couple of weeks." The stupid lady behind the counter started to argue the 22lr was a pistol cartridge and I would not be able to buy until 21. Duh, it says right on the box 22 long rifle.
That would have been 25 years ago. Just becuase you have the right to buy something doesn't mean some idiot isn't going to try to stop you.
I'm simply out of touch. I came along before it was illegal to do much of anything. I never was too young to buy ammo or most weapons anything else, and I passed the 21 barrier before there was one.

My sons are independent cusses, and have always handled things pretty much on their own.

I do wonder how the federal boys would deal with one Indiana law. You can technically own a handgun here while under eighteen, if that handgun is given to you by a family member, or inherited from a family member. You can't carry it, but you are allowed to use it on your own property at any age.
__________________
Jamesaritchie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 5,008
Liked 1272 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 401

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
I do wonder how the federal boys would deal with one Indiana law. You can technically own a handgun here while under eighteen, if that handgun is given to you by a family member, or inherited from a family member. You can't carry it, but you are allowed to use it on your own property at any age.
There are many laws that are contradictory if compared at the federal and state levels. There are also a million variables that determine what is legal in a specific jurisdiction, not the least of which is subjective interpretation by different levels of law enforcement, DA's, and the public in general. In general though, go by the strictest standard.
__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Yunus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lebanon,Ky
Posts: 3,621
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I could easily be mistaken but I was under the impression that ever since the gun control act of 1968 it's been illegal federally to purchase handguns from FFL dealers under the age of 21.

__________________

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I could easily be mistaken but I was under the impression that ever since the gun control act of 1968 it's been illegal federally to purchase handguns from FFL dealers under the age of 21.
That may well be. But I'm old.
__________________
Jamesaritchie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #36
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,493
Liked 9918 Times on 4270 Posts
Likes Given: 1561

Default

Bear- you are absolutely correct- but some of us on here were buying guns by mail order long befo' 1968!

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 32
Default

IN GEORGIA
an 18 year old CAN POSSESS a handgun....however, they can not obtain a Georgia Firearms License for carry purposes until they are 21.
My 19 year old son has "his" handguns....they stay with me unless we are going shooting, fishing, camping, etc.....

__________________
sheriffoconee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring ownership Lorax429 The Club House 2 12-28-2009 12:38 AM
HR 45 - Criminalizing Gun Ownership HunterMarksman338 Politics, Religion and Controversy 6 06-27-2009 07:46 PM
gun ownership question falseharmonix Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 04-27-2009 06:52 AM
Underage Ownership Prelude90 Politics, Religion and Controversy 10 02-10-2009 12:57 AM