under 21 handgun ownership - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > under 21 handgun ownership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
Who comes up with these laws?
The legislative branch of gubmit. These laws have not always been in place, and someone who is better versed in the dates will most likely be in to post about it.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #22

[QUOTE=so you could very well have people in your state that have CCPs,and handguns,but have to have someone over 21 buy their ammo for them.[/QUOTE]

haHAHHA you see a kid outside a gun store "shouldertapping"
"hey man can you buy me a box of .45's i forgot my ID" XD haha

Old 03-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #23

Default funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post
haHAHHA you see a kid outside a gun store "shouldertapping"
"hey man can you buy me a box of .45's i forgot my ID" XD haha
Now that is funny............................

Old 03-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #24

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What aggravates me about posters here. SUggesting they contact this guy, or that department to find out if its legal.

IT IS FEDERAL LAW, that allows 18+ to OWN, therefore posses, a handgun.
Rather than relying on someones suggestions of who to call, Why not check the ATF.GOV?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:04 AM   #25

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
What aggravates me about posters here. SUggesting they contact this guy, or that department to find out if its legal.

Rather than relying on someones suggestions of who to call, Why not check the ATF.GOV?
State and local laws may differ not to mention interpretation will differ. You can argue federal laws trump state laws all you want, but I don't want anything I say to cause someone to think they are in the clear and then have to fight a multi-year court case trying to prove it to be true. ATF is a great resource but it's not the only resource needed to verify legality of firearms related questions.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #26

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:

Whoa, chief, dial it back. It is never a BAD idea to consult a licensed professional. Furthermore, federal law does not allow people to own a gun if they're over 18, it prohibits people from owning a gun if they're under 18. This is a subtle but important difference. Just because federal law does not prohibit a scenario, does not mean it is legal in all states. Federal law also does not prohibit ownership of automatic weapons, but this does not mean I can buy an mp5 in California, it means I can buy an mp5 anywhere state laws don't prohibit it either.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #27

Agree with the above, especially the attorney general bit, calling the local PD can be useless, LEO's don't all get substantial training on the intricacies of the law. Most States follow Federal Law which is 21 to purchase a handgun 18 to purchase a long gun, however possession of a firearm in a legal manner is not age restrictive. Also make sure you check with county DA as well as a city attorney, they can have more restrictive laws/ordinances.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

A good first step would be to pull up the state code for your state, and read what it says. Not what I think it says- for all you know, I am a 12 yr old playing on the computer. Indiana STATE law does allow for possession of handguns by adults (18 and over) and children under instruction. It does provide for a carry permit for persons 18 and over. FEDERAL law requires that persons buying handguns from a licensed dealer (FFL) must be 21. Federal law also requires you be 21 to purchase handgun ammo, unless you can show it is dual purpose ammo that will be used in a long gun (I had a Ruger 44 Mag carbine when I was 20)

A link for the Indiana State code for handguns- Indiana Code 35-47-2

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #29

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Now you know that state or local law trumps federal law IF it's more strict than federal law.

Quote:

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #30

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

No kidding about LEO being uninformed. No offense all you LEOs. I know you can't know every law.

I am in the hotel business. In Colorado it is a class 5 felony to skip on a hotel bill if it is over $50. Upon conviction there is a minimum 1 year sentence in the state pen attached. Every time I have called law enforcement about a problem customer that conned the front desk person into checking them in without a credit card I have to read the code to the reponding officer. They refuse to help until I read the code to them. Up until that point they claim it is a civil matter.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.