Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > under 21 handgun ownership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1656 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1117

I am not an attorney. Nor do I give legal advice. I just thought this was interesting so I will share.

I was watching an episode of "COPS" on TV the other night. The officer that was being interviewed stated that he was the youngest officer ever hired in his state. He told the interviewer that he was not able to purchase his duty weapon himself. He said that his parents bought it. Then they gifted it to him. The officer was 20 years old. I found it interesting that even a police officer could not purchase a gun at 20 years old.

I have no idea about the legality of under age private sales.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
There is a post on this board from someone under 21 who lives in Michigan. He was gifted a handgun from his father, spoke to law enforcement and they confirmed it was legal (or so he says). I believe him, however none of us on this board are offering you legal advice. While we may state what we believe to be true and accurate and within the law, we are NOT LAWYERS OFFERING LEGAL ADVICE, so if you want a legal answer, speak to an attorney in your area who knows specific laws that might apply to you.

That said, NGIB and Bear are correct to the best of my knowledge, which is this. You must be 21 or older to purchase a handgun from an FFL. However if your state allows non-FFL handgun purchases than you need only follow your states laws to make said purchase, if that is 18 then so be it. But remember you and you alone are the one making the purchase and responsible for it's outcome. If you trust someone on the internet to determine what is legal and not, well you may not like the outcome.
im sorry if i made it sound like i was asking for legal advice, im more like asking for someone to point me in the right direction and i think you did that thank you

Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #13

Liked 1020 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post
im sorry if i made it sound like i was asking for legal advice, im more like asking for someone to point me in the right direction and i think you did that thank you
No apology needed, I just wanted to clarify that anything I posted was not legal advice and I know most if not all other regulars on this board post with the same disclaimer. All we are saying is we are not lawyers and don't want you to end up getting into trouble taking what we say as legal fact. I've asked many questions and gotten very good answers from members of this forum, but I know to take anything I get from here with the appropriate weight(IE, everything is personal advice and suggestions/experience and not legal knowledge/advice)

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #14

[QUOTE=I've asked many questions and gotten very good answers from members of this forum, but I know to take anything I get from here with the appropriate weight(IE, everything is personal advice and suggestions/experience and not legal knowledge/advice)[/QUOTE]

^ thats probally for the best =P

anyways thanks for your personal advice =)

Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #15

This is an interesting thread. I had no idea there were states where you couldn't buy a handgun if under the age of twenty-one.

Here in Indiana, you can buy from gun shops, gun shows, private individuals, etc., at age eighteen. You can also get a CCP at age eighteen. My two oldest sons both applied for CCPs the moment they turned eighteen, and purchased handguns the moment the CCPs were approved.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No, they didn't LEGALLY buy handguns from a FFL dealer at the age of 18. That's federal law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
This is an interesting thread. I had no idea there were states where you couldn't buy a handgun if under the age of twenty-one.

Here in Indiana, you can buy from gun shops, gun shows, private individuals, etc., at age eighteen. You can also get a CCP at age eighteen. My two oldest sons both applied for CCPs the moment they turned eighteen, and purchased handguns the moment the CCPs were approved.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
No, they didn't LEGALLY buy handguns from a FFL dealer at the age of 18. That's federal law.
Forgive my ignorance. I know what a FFL is, but where do FFL dealers sell handguns? I didn't even know you could buy handguns from anywhere other than a gun shop, at a gun show, or from another individual.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #18

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance. I know what a FFL is, but where do FFL dealers sell handguns? I didn't even know you could buy handguns from anywhere other than a gun shop, at a gun show, or from another individual.
FFL dealers are people who's sole business and income is from selling guns,so in order to have a business of selling guns you must have a FFL license.So gunstore owners an the like must have a FFL license to sell guns,so to buy a handgun from a gunstore you always have to be 21 because federal law's age to buy a handgun is 21.A person at a gunshow with a few guns or a private seller does not have to get a FFL license,so they can sell to someone under 21 if local laws allow it.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Last edited by ninjatoth; 03-21-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
FFL dealers are people who's sole business and income is from selling guns.So federal law says a gunstore owner an the like must have a FFL to sell guns,so to buy a handgun from a gunstore you always have to be 21 because federal law's age to buy a handgun is 21.A person at a gunshow with a few guns or a private seller does not have to get a FFL license,so they can sell to someone under 21 if local laws allow it.
This was several years ago, and I wasn't with them, but I thought sure my sons and my nephews bought their handguns at gun shops. Hmmm. I'll have to ask just where they did buy them.

They're all well over twenty-one now, so it doesn't really matter, but that's just strange. You can get a CCP in Indiana at eighteen, you can buy a handgun and carry it legally, but you can't buy one from a gunshop? That's just odd.

Who comes up with these laws?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #20

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
This was several years ago, and I wasn't with them, but I thought sure my sons and my nephews bought their handguns at gun shops. Hmmm. I'll have to ask just where they did buy them.

They're all well over twenty-one now, so it doesn't really matter, but that's just strange. You can get a CCP in Indiana at eighteen, you can buy a handgun and carry it legally, but you can't buy one from a gunshop? That's just odd.

Who comes up with these laws?
You can't buy ammo for handguns from any store that has a FFL either,including Walmart if you are under 21.Conceal weapons permits and minimum possession age are totally under state jurisdiction,so you could very well have people in your state that have CCPs,and handguns,but have to have someone over 21 buy their ammo for them.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves