under 21 handgun ownership
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > under 21 handgun ownership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default under 21 handgun ownership

ok so i went into a gun store today to put a down payment on a brand new rem 870 and i was talking to the store clerk there who was 19 and he was telling me as he tapped his handgun on his waist that in california a person under 21 couldnt not PURCHASE a handgun (over 18 obviously) but they could be GIFTED a handgun and fill out the nessisary paperwork. It seems too good to be true, what do you guys know about this?

Last edited by Leavingplatoscomphycave; 03-21-2010 at 03:00 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2010, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

It works that way in GA but I have no idea what's legal in California...

Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In SOME states you can be in legal possession of a handgun at the age of 18 or higher. You cannot purchase a handgun by federal law until the age of 21. You'll have to check with law enforcement to see if it's legal in your state to own handguns at 18. I do know it's illegal to straw purchase any firearm from a FFL dealer however.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I've heard that some states allow face-to-face for 18 for handguns. Probably those that are legal to possess. For sure, everyone must know their state laws.

Fed law says that under 21 can't buy a handgun from FFL. 18+ for long guns.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post
ok so i went into a gun store today to put a down payment on a brand new rem 870 and i was talking to the store clerk there who was 19 and he was telling me that in california a person under 21 couldnt not PURCHASE a handgun (over 18 obviously) but they could be GIFTED a handgun and fill out the nessisary paperwork. It seems too good to be true, what do you guys know about this?
I'm fairly certain that here in CA it is a misdemeanor to spell out the word "gun" without the words "evil" or "nut" included in the sentence.
No, seriously though, I believe this is true in most states, but not CA. I think here you have to be 21 or under the direct supervision of the owner to have a handgun in your hand, but possession of long guns may be legal.

Minor in Possession of a Gun Lawyers

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 03-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
In SOME states you can be in legal possession of a handgun at the age of 18 or higher. You cannot purchase a handgun by federal law until the age of 21.
FEDERAL law makes it that you MUST be 21 to buy from a federally licensed dealer. And 18 to buy FTF, or posses.

As bear said, state law supercedes the minimum in some cases.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #7

i think the loophole here is that under 21 cant PURCHASE

and the only way they can own is if a family member gifts you a handgun, i was hopeing someone could confirm this (or deny but that sure wouldnt be as fun )

Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #8

and no offence to previous posters but im not really looking for an answer that starts with "i think". because id be doing somthing potentaily legal/illegal i dont want to have to tell an officer "oh i THOUGHT i could have it"

Old 03-21-2010, 03:20 AM   #9

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

There is a post on this board from someone under 21 who lives in Michigan. He was gifted a handgun from his father, spoke to law enforcement and they confirmed it was legal (or so he says). I believe him, however none of us on this board are offering you legal advice. While we may state what we believe to be true and accurate and within the law, we are NOT LAWYERS OFFERING LEGAL ADVICE, so if you want a legal answer, speak to an attorney in your area who knows specific laws that might apply to you.

That said, NGIB and Bear are correct to the best of my knowledge, which is this. You must be 21 or older to purchase a handgun from an FFL. However if your state allows non-FFL handgun purchases than you need only follow your states laws to make said purchase, if that is 18 then so be it. But remember you and you alone are the one making the purchase and responsible for it's outcome. If you trust someone on the internet to determine what is legal and not, well you may not like the outcome.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #10

Yunus gave the best advise. Contact you state Attorney General to clarify. There are many "I think" and "I'm pretty sure" answers, as well as some that are incorrect despite a good faith effort to provide information.

For instance Federal Law does not require on to be 18 to posses a handgun. In Vermont the law states one must be 16, if not 16, one must have "parental consent" to posses, nothing more. That includes carry as well, either open or concealed.

Any one want to move to Vermont?

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-