Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   under 21 handgun ownership (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/under-21-handgun-ownership-24919/)

Leavingplatoscomphycave 03-21-2010 12:37 AM

under 21 handgun ownership

ok so i went into a gun store today to put a down payment on a brand new rem 870 and i was talking to the store clerk there who was 19 and he was telling me as he tapped his handgun on his waist that in california a person under 21 couldnt not PURCHASE a handgun (over 18 obviously) but they could be GIFTED a handgun and fill out the nessisary paperwork. It seems too good to be true, what do you guys know about this?

NGIB 03-21-2010 12:52 AM

It works that way in GA but I have no idea what's legal in California...

stalkingbear 03-21-2010 12:56 AM

In SOME states you can be in legal possession of a handgun at the age of 18 or higher. You cannot purchase a handgun by federal law until the age of 21. You'll have to check with law enforcement to see if it's legal in your state to own handguns at 18. I do know it's illegal to straw purchase any firearm from a FFL dealer however.

skullcrusher 03-21-2010 01:21 AM

I've heard that some states allow face-to-face for 18 for handguns. Probably those that are legal to possess. For sure, everyone must know their state laws.

Fed law says that under 21 can't buy a handgun from FFL. 18+ for long guns.

TheDaggle 03-21-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave (Post 253553)
ok so i went into a gun store today to put a down payment on a brand new rem 870 and i was talking to the store clerk there who was 19 and he was telling me that in california a person under 21 couldnt not PURCHASE a handgun (over 18 obviously) but they could be GIFTED a handgun and fill out the nessisary paperwork. It seems too good to be true, what do you guys know about this?

I'm fairly certain that here in CA it is a misdemeanor to spell out the word "gun" without the words "evil" or "nut" included in the sentence.
No, seriously though, I believe this is true in most states, but not CA. I think here you have to be 21 or under the direct supervision of the owner to have a handgun in your hand, but possession of long guns may be legal.

Minor in Possession of a Gun Lawyers

willfully armed 03-21-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 253573)
In SOME states you can be in legal possession of a handgun at the age of 18 or higher. You cannot purchase a handgun by federal law until the age of 21.

FEDERAL law makes it that you MUST be 21 to buy from a federally licensed dealer. And 18 to buy FTF, or posses.

As bear said, state law supercedes the minimum in some cases.

Leavingplatoscomphycave 03-21-2010 02:55 AM

i think the loophole here is that under 21 cant PURCHASE

and the only way they can own is if a family member gifts you a handgun, i was hopeing someone could confirm this (or deny but that sure wouldnt be as fun :( )

Leavingplatoscomphycave 03-21-2010 02:57 AM

and no offence to previous posters but im not really looking for an answer that starts with "i think". because id be doing somthing potentaily legal/illegal i dont want to have to tell an officer "oh i THOUGHT i could have it"

Yunus 03-21-2010 03:20 AM

There is a post on this board from someone under 21 who lives in Michigan. He was gifted a handgun from his father, spoke to law enforcement and they confirmed it was legal (or so he says). I believe him, however none of us on this board are offering you legal advice. While we may state what we believe to be true and accurate and within the law, we are NOT LAWYERS OFFERING LEGAL ADVICE, so if you want a legal answer, speak to an attorney in your area who knows specific laws that might apply to you.

That said, NGIB and Bear are correct to the best of my knowledge, which is this. You must be 21 or older to purchase a handgun from an FFL. However if your state allows non-FFL handgun purchases than you need only follow your states laws to make said purchase, if that is 18 then so be it. But remember you and you alone are the one making the purchase and responsible for it's outcome. If you trust someone on the internet to determine what is legal and not, well you may not like the outcome.

jeepcreep927 03-21-2010 03:44 AM

Yunus gave the best advise. Contact you state Attorney General to clarify. There are many "I think" and "I'm pretty sure" answers, as well as some that are incorrect despite a good faith effort to provide information.

For instance Federal Law does not require on to be 18 to posses a handgun. In Vermont the law states one must be 16, if not 16, one must have "parental consent" to posses, nothing more. That includes carry as well, either open or concealed.

Any one want to move to Vermont?