Unbelievable outrage! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Unbelievable outrage!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

First, dude must be well-liked and squeaky clean to get a carry permit in commiefornia. Second, does anyone else think maybe he did this as a set up to attack the NYC law? If so, bravo to him for taking the hit on our behalf; if not, he had one heckuva brain fart.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Here is a map that shows concealed carry reciprocity. So far as i know NY does not have reciprocity with any other state.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Not unbelievable, not the first time, not the last time.

The guys an idiot for not educating himself on the local law.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Here is a map that shows concealed carry reciprocity. So far as i know NY does not have reciprocity with any other state.
You're correct - NYS has no reciprocity with any other state.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Does anyone understand what actually happened? It says he was traveling and had declared the handgun, but that *he* checked it in while in NYC. When waiting for a connecting flight during a layover, don't airlines handle transitioning baggage from one plane to another? If it was returned to him, what the heck was he supposed to do other than declare it?

Was he living in NYC at the time and (illegally) brought his handgun with him from CA? That would certainly get him busted. Passing through, he should be covered. Making a stop in which he leaves the airport with the handgun is a no-no.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
NYC has been in violation of the Federal "Peaceable Journey Act" since it was passed. In case of this law, no state or city law may override it. I am not real sure that this may not be a case to get the illegal NYC ordinance into court.
Interesting idea... I almost hope it is; otherwise he is probably kicking himself...

Old 12-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I don't think this is the case in this instance, bkt ! IOW, I suspect Meckler's "journey" (ISFA an aircraft), was originating at LGA. OTOH, I suspect his attorneys will argue his "journey" began from a reciprocal (i.e. "legal") state and was planned to terminate in another.

I also anticipate the NYC prosecutor to argue his federal protections under the "journey" aspects of fedral law don't apply to his (presummably) ground transit of NYS/NYC jurisdictions. This is an old story to many hunters that have been victimized by NJ, NYS/NYC, and CT enroute to hunting camps in NE ! For many years "hunting season" had an entirely different meaning to the NJSP patrolling I-80 thanks to NJ's absurd gun laws !

IAC, Mr. Meckler starts out with two strikes in this instance. He's a spokesperson for a very unpopular political movement, the TEA party. NYC/NYS - at least in the metro areas - is rabidly Democratic. And NYC's mayor, Bloomberg, is rabidly anti-private firearm possession as well. In most other instances I'd say the prosecutors would be willing to let this pass with a misdemeanor plea and a hefty fine. In this one, given its national prominence, I'd say they'll go for the jugular; a felony, meaning Mr. Meckler faces lifetime prohibition of ownership/possession of firearms. >MW

Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Nevada county, CA suspended the lawyers concealed carry permit.

Sheriff's Office suspends Meckler's concealed-weapon permit | TheUnion.com

Quote:
Local law enforcement authorities have suspended the concealed-carry gun permit for Tea Party Patriot co-founder Mark Meckler in the ake of his arrest Thursday at New York City's LaGuardia Airport. The tea party leader has a California “carry concealed weapon” permit, but that does not allow him to carry a firearm in New York.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Well we can expect Meckler's attorney's are going make the "peaceable journey" argument ! Just as NYS prosecutors are going to make the "illegal possession inside NYS borders" argument !

In some ways its an old tale. Lots of out state hunters enroute to NE have been victimized in the same manner when stopped in NJ, NYS/NYC ! In NJ "hunting season" - at least along I-80 - had/has a whole different conotation than common acceptance for decades. But I suspect Mr. Meckler is going to face a far higher hurdle than most violators due to his association with the TEA party ! >MW